Problem keeping the neck up

Knifemaker

Reaction score
Hi. I recently got a ukulele for my birthday, a Fender Ukulele Mino'Aka - Concert. The only experience I have with string instruments is a little scratching on the guitar a few years back. I really liked the guitar experience but my hobby (knifemaking) leaves very little time to practice. I figured that the ukulele would let me find more time to play since I can do it while sitting in front of the TV with the better half or in many other situations where the guitar would just not work.

Now to the question at hand. How do you hold up the head of the uke? I see people kind of squeezing the uke against their chest/stomach with their elbow but it doesn't seem to work for me. The head keeps dropping down. I have to support it with my thumb on the back of the neck but that means having my thumb a little below center. That just doesn't feel right and of course as soon my thumb looses contact, the heads dips down. The other option is to hold it up in the webbing between my thumb and index finger but I read that this is not a good way to do it and will just make fingering chords harder, as I've already found out.

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Patrice

One thing to consider other than a leash or something is that the uke itself may be poorly balanced. I have a Kala travel and it loves to head dive, sounds great but makes playing it a pain. Conversely i have a brace of David S. Gill concerts that are perfectly balanced and need nothing to keep the head up and there is never a problem playing for long periods. Changing the tuners may help or getting a lighter and better balanced uke could be the overall solution...

Bill

Consider some sort of strap.

I had your problem when I started out, and a Uke Leash made a huge difference for me. When I later got a ukulele with a strap button, I bought an inexpensive adapter that converted the Uke Leash from a half strap to a full strap. Lori at Uke Leash is very pleasant to do business with.

Thanks for the input guys. I did read that this particular uke with the fender head is a bit top heavy. But since I don't have any experience with other ukes I was wondering if it was just me. I think that strap would be the best thing to try first so I'll order one from Lori.

The head keeps dropping down.

In light of the recent death of the great Lou Reed, let me offer you his advice in situations like this, from the Velvet Underground album. Loaded:

Mama told me, ever since I was seven
"Hold your head up high"
My parents told me, ever since I was eleven
"Hold your head up high"

They said the answer was to become a dancer
Hold your head up high
Oh, just like I figured they're always disfigured
With their head up high

Now I am older, I'm getting so much bolder
With my head up high
Oh, as I figured just like I figured
Since your head's up high, baby

Oh, now just like I figured you know they was disfigured
Hold your head high
You know they says the answer was to become a dancer
Hold your head up high, boy

Ever since I was a baby on my mama's knee
Oh, just to listen to what have everybody told me
And yes I did

But still the answer was to become a dancer
And hold your head up high
But, just like I figured they're always disfigured
They hold their heads up high

Watch out
Yeah
Do the dog
Oh, watch out

And now I'm older they say that I'm so much bolder
Got your head up high
Oh, oh the answer was, hey become a dancer
Head up high

Well, but just like I figured they're always disfigured
They got their heads up high
But the answer was, now boy become a dancer
With your head up high

Oh head up high, yeah, yeah, yeah
Head up high, oh baby
Head up high, oh oh
Head up high, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
Head up high
Head

Thanks for the input guys. I did read that this particular uke with the fender head is a bit top heavy. But since I don't have any experience with other ukes I was wondering if it was just me. I think that strap would be the best thing to try first so I'll order one from Lori.

I have a Fender NoHea, and find it perfectly balanced. It must be something to do with yours having less mass in the body.

Have you considered filling it with sand?

If you do, post pictures and a sound sample, I could do with a laugh :)

http://www.ukeleash.com/

"Lori" on this very forum is the designer/retailer for these.

Consider some sort of strap.

I had your problem when I started out, and a Uke Leash made a huge difference for me. When I later got a ukulele with a strap button, I bought an inexpensive adapter that converted the Uke Leash from a half strap to a full strap. Lori at Uke Leash is very pleasant to do business with.

Thanks Guys for the kind words.

I have lots of ukes, different sizes and makers, and I use a (Uke Leash brand, of course) strap on all of them. Makes a huge difference to me. If you notice, even Jake, and James Hill, and dozens of other professional performers, have the best instruments available, and still use straps of some type.

–Lori

It's a common beginner issue. It will come with time. Don't squeeze to the body too hard - eventually you will find it just kind of floats.

Straps are cool and I use one when gigging, but always good to know how to hold one without

ukeiagra...

ukeiagra...

Being the newbie, I had to refrain from going there but I figured it was only a matter of time before somebody jumped on what was tee'd up so nicely! ;-)

:music: I admire your courage. Most guys wouldn't be able to discuss not being able to keep it up in a public forum. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hi. I recently got a ukulele for my birthday, a Fender Ukulele Mino'Aka - Concert. The only experience I have with string instruments is a little scratching on the guitar a few years back. I really liked the guitar experience but my hobby (knifemaking) leaves very little time to practice. I figured that the ukulele would let me find more time to play since I can do it while sitting in front of the TV with the better half or in many other situations where the guitar would just not work.

Now to the question at hand. How do you hold up the head of the uke? I see people kind of squeezing the uke against their chest/stomach with their elbow but it doesn't seem to work for me. The head keeps dropping down. I have to support it with my thumb on the back of the neck but that means having my thumb a little below center. That just doesn't feel right and of course as soon my thumb looses contact, the heads dips down. The other option is to hold it up in the webbing between my thumb and index finger but I read that this is not a good way to do it and will just make fingering chords harder, as I've already found out.

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Patrice

Hi Knifemaker,

I had the same problem when switching to a 14-fret tenor ukulele. The longer neck wanted to drop down. I wasn't happy with any of the strap choices I found so I invented my own solution, the Mobius Strap. It doesn't require any modification of your instrument and, unlike some other straps, you can let go with both hands and it still supports your uke. If that sounds like something you might like, you can check it out at http://www.mobiusstrap.com.

You guys are too funny! :D

I did try the Uke leash (made a quick one) and it takes some getting used to. I will give that mobius strap a try Tim, thanks.

And yes, Steve, that's me. Thanks for the good words. I am getting slowly better. Well faster than at playing the Uke anyway. ;)

i did a youtube review of the uke leash here :)

[video]http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?82971-ukulele-leash-video-review-and-unboxing[/video]

Top Bottom