A thank you to the Underground

thejumpingflea

Reaction score
Hey guys,

*WARNING* LONG POST!

I have been a pretty active member here for a while now and I just wanted to say thanks to everyone here. Special thanks to all the staff for all their hard work, dedication and love for this little instrument. This instrument really is a large part of my life, but it hadn't always been this way....

I have struggled with bad knee conditions since I was 14. It started with them just being very sore after I'd go boarding (whether it'd be snow, skate, wake or anything else wouldn't matter). My life consisted of these sports for years so I shrugged off the pain in favor of living my childhood to the fullest. I eventually saw a doctor and they told me I had osgood schlatters disease and that my knees would fully heal after my growth plates would seal. About a year and a half passed and the knee pain began to get worse and I began Physical Therapy and had to stop skateboarding. I figured it wouldn't be too long to get back on the board. Well the PT made it significantly worse and they decided to x-ray the knees to check them out. The growth plates had sealed, but the pain was only getting worse.

Then I went to see a surgeon. He took some MRI's and figured the problem was called Patella Femeral Syndrome. Basically my knee caps were riding off place. So they did a procedure in each leg called a lateral release (they cut the lateral to loosen the kneecap back into place). They did each one separate and this consumed my Jr. year in HS. I went through extensive rehab and lots of cripple jokes (haha what do you expect in HS) and the results began to show. By that summer I was doing much better (still unable to do any of my sports) but by the end of the summer I was just as bad as before. The surgery worked, but the lateral reformed to be what it was before.

So I met with the surgeons again and now they had a more serious procedure to do. This involved chiseling out the bone under the patella tendon and moving it over to pop the knee cap permanently into place and then screwing it in. I had this procedure last December (2007) and now am a year out. I was in a wheel chair for 4 weeks of school and couldn't move the leg for 6 weeks. It was in a straight leg brace for that time with 0 weight bearing allowed. Let's just say Sr. year wasn't much fun.

Now I am starting to do better, but not great. One has had that operation, the other not, but I am still rehabing to get strength and scar tissue out. Still no boarding though and I probably won't be able to do that for a LONG time.

So why am I telling you this? Well because there was one thing that has been there for me this entire trek. The 'ukulele. I treated it like a sport at first, doing 'trick' strums and such. I have fallen in love with this instrument though in the same way I did my skateboard. It has helped me through this and has provided an incredible outsource of my energy and been a brilliant hobby.

And right when I thought I couldn't love this instrument more, I found you guys. Lessons, tabs, videos, downloads; it all is so great and just further strengthened the bond I have with this little 4 stringed 'toy'. :D

I just received my UU Hoodie, T-Shirt and a set of strings today and inside the package was a very short, handwritten note from the UU staff saying thanks for all the time spent in the UU and for help I have given people. I just have to say back that it is YOU guys that have helped me!!

SO thanks UU!

You know what? I have like exact the same thing with my knees. Maybe I will have this operation this year, maybe not. My ukulele helps my dealing with this situation. I was like really good in basketball and had the chance to play in a higher league here in Germany...

Thanks to you and the Ukulele, too :music:

Cool story. It's neat how something as small and simple as the uke can bring so much healing, if not the outside, at least on the inside. Thanks for sharing, strum on!

Hey Man thanks to you too for being part of the UU Family...

I feel your pain... I to have osgood schlatters, it kept from doing alot during my young years and it will still bother me on somedays at 45, my Dr. told me to get ready for the arturitis(sp) in a few more years.
Part of the reason I took up teaching scuba as a job, no weight on them.
I was given a Med Discharge from Navy Bootcamp (can't run) due to it the Doc told me it wasn't worth their time/money to fix it so they sent me home.

Anyway Good luck and keep on keepin on and strummin along!!!!!!

Sad, yet good story. That sucks that it impacted you high school experience, but then again you found the ukulele and therefore this awesome ukulele community. I'm glad you're doing better and hope you continue to heal and I realyl hope you can board again one day.

Glad that the uke has helped! Music sure is a wonderful thing.

I work at an academic medical center. A while back, they actually established a "music therapy" program at our children's hospital. It's very cool!

Here's an article about it. I may be biased, but I think it's definitely worth a read. :D

I've often thought of getting in touch with the music therapist there and seeing if she's ever thought of using ukuleles with the kids. The ease-of-learning and small size would be perfect, I'd think. (Heck, if we got some inexpensive Mahalos donated, some of the kids could even take a uke home after their hospital visit. How cool would that be? :cool:)

JJ

that's awesome! i haven't been on for the past couple of months (because of school and work) but i've always found time to play a couple of minutes on the uke. Like how your uke has always been there for you, my uke has always been there for me too. UU makes the whole experience even more worthwhile. The lessons, the information, and the community itself keeps this uke journey going. I'm sure everyone here has a lot to thank to the rest of UU and it's moments like these that makes this site what it is.

Glad that the uke has helped! Music sure is a wonderful thing.

I work at an academic medical center. A while back, they actually established a "music therapy" program at our children's hospital. It's very cool!

Here's an article about it. I may be biased, but I think it's definitely worth a read. :D

I've often thought of getting in touch with the music therapist there and seeing if she's ever thought of using ukuleles with the kids. The ease-of-learning and small size would be perfect, I'd think. (Heck, if we got some inexpensive Mahalos donated, some of the kids could even take a uke home after their hospital visit. How cool would that be? :cool:)

JJ

JJ,
Make it happen! You do the contact and leave it up to the UU community to come up with the ukes.

JJ,
Make it happen! You do the contact and leave it up to the UU community to come up with the ukes.

Okay! You and thejumpingflea have inspired me to get the ball rolling. I just called a friend of mine who is one of the development officers (that's industry-speak for "fundraiser") at the children's hospital.

Coincidentally, she said that she had recently talked to the music therapist about ukuleles! The therapist is already starting to use them in her program, and had called my friend to discuss replacing two of them that have been broken. :eek:

So my friend is working to set up a meeting/conversation of some kind between myself and the music therapist, and we'll go from there.

Woo-hoo!

JJ

dude i have osgood schlatters disease too. I have it a little different though. I am 316 pounds and am still growing vertically. My plates are...well....lets just say that I know what you mean, by saying it hurts. I am going to the doctor soon and I have no idea what hes going to say...well I know hes gonna say lose weight, but there is also the fact that i have been on perscription medication since i was in 5th grade. Ive been taking it for OCD, anxiety issues, and depression issues. I have also developed sleep disorders, and am taking a sleep apnea test next month.

So I also have a lot of diffucult trials ahead, and it I know (not really but) exactly how you feel. So I second(3,4,5 or 6th) the thank you to UU!!!!

good luck with your future ordeals TJF, you will be in my prayers.

:)

Top Bottom