Slipping Friction Tuners

mangorockfish

Reaction score
The friction tuners on my vintage Kamaka soprano are slipping. What is the best cure for this? If replacing them is the way to go, is there anything I need to know before ordering them and who do I order them from? Thanks.

First thing to do is a simple tightening job - just until the screw 'bites'

If that doesn't work, take them apart and check whether any of the bushings are cracked or worn. You may be able to get replacements for those.

But a good quality Gotoh brand may be your final option

The friction tuners on my vintage Kamaka soprano are slipping. What is the best cure for this? If replacing them is the way to go, is there anything I need to know before ordering them and who do I order them from? Thanks.

Just tighten the screws until they feel like they lock in tune when you tighten them that should do the trick.
I had to do that with my old martin soprano and it worked fine.

What does chalk do? Does it go between the tuning knobs and headstock or between the posts and headstock?

Adds grist to stop any slipping of metal to wood.

Did it improve when you screwed the friction tuners tighter (a thirty second job), mongorock?

If yo have to replace them I find the mainland friction,s to be the best around and easily available from them.

Adds grist to stop any slipping of metal to wood.

Did it improve when you screwed the friction tuners tighter (a thirty second job), mongorock?

When I tighten them enough to keep them from slipping, the tuning knobs will hardly turn.

Disagree Ian, sorry!

GOOD Frictions are the bees knees. The ones on my Koaloha are like butter. Bad frictions on the other hand.... Agreed!

When I tighten them enough to keep them from slipping, the tuning knobs will hardly turn.

Those vintage tuners are terrible. A set of Gotoh UKA's or Grover 4W's are smooth as silk and don't use the wood as the friction point. PM me if you want a set of Gotoh UKA cheap. I have a spare set.

The first picture shows Grover 4w's on a 1961 gold Label Kamaka soprano, the second pict is the Gotoh UKA's on a newer Kamaka soprano

Attachments

• Grover 4w.jpg
    Grover 4w.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 15
  • New Gotoh.jpg
    New Gotoh.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Right on. That's the ticket, no kidding. Mine are like that. I love them that way. Not kidding. It's like Eddie Van Halen's axe...they tighten the tuners and Floyd Rise bridge so tight, he can dive bomb all night...still in tune.

Top Bottom