Calling all sopranino players

NatalieS

Reaction score
My used Tangi Manini arrived today and I am so impressed with the volume!!! (but not the stock strings)

What soprano strings sound best on the sopranino? Have you had luck with really bright strings such as Aquila? Or do you like to mellow out the sound with something like Worth browns? I'd be really interested to hear what you all have or haven't had success with on your little sopraninos. I'm so excited about testing this one with some new strings.

Thanks! :-D

I still have the strings MGM had on it. I have the same Tangi.

I have thought about going with Aquilas, but the strings I have on it now are working fine. I'll post it here if I change it. :D

Cool video, thanks Alan! Those Ohana sops are so cute.

I better order me some Aquilas. :-D

I was cleaning house tonight and found (ta-daaa!) an extra set of Worth CL-sopranos left over from my Lanikai! I quickly put them on. Although they're constantly going out of tune, it sounds so much louder and sweeter!

I think the old strings had been on there for the duration of the previous owner's owning the instrument-- almost 3 years!

Hey Natalie,you don't like your Tangi Manini?just wondering because your sig says you are probably going to sell it.

I DO like it very much, but I just got a Kiwaya so to keep from getting UAS I'm adopting the "one in, one out" rule. I think the Tangi has sold already at this point. It's a great little uke, I just have to keep myself from going overboard with ukes.

I DO like it very much, but I just got a Kiwaya so to keep from getting UAS I'm adopting the "one in, one out" rule. I think the Tangi has sold already at this point. It's a great little uke, I just have to keep myself from going overboard with ukes.

Thanks for the answer Natalie.Wow,I have the same rule(now).I also have full blown UAS which I am struggling to control.I used to have an obsession with electric guitars,I think I bought about 75 in the past 4 years but sold 70 of those and ended up with these 5.

100_3162.jpg

Then I bought another and decided to sell 3 and these are the 3 I keep. 3 is a good number and those guitars give me the sounds I want.So these are all the guitars I need now cuz I am more interested in ukuleles than guitars...

100_3708.jpg

I have 3 ukuleles now but only 2 are playable,so I am thinking of selling one or 2 of these(no,not the Martin)and getting another uke(or maybe 2).

100_3750-1.jpg

I have always been intrigued by that Tangi Manini so that is why I ask.Is the fretboard really small on those? I just wondered because the 1st uke I owned was a Lanilai pineapple soprano and the fretbourd on that was too narrow.Much narrower than the fretboard on my Martin.Just curious.

My local store has a 70's white label Kamaka soprano in the back room.I am thinking about trading my Lanikai and the red "Tiny Tim" uke for that when they put it out for sale.

Last edited:
Always wanted to take a sopranino for a spin. It'd be a great travel companion.

And if I had a Rickenbacker in that awesome teal color, it would never leave my house no matter how much of my instrument collection needed to go. :O

Always wanted to take a sopranino for a spin. It'd be a great travel companion.

And if I had a Rickenbacker in that awesome teal color, it would never leave my house no matter how much of my instrument collection needed to go. :O

Yeah,It was a tough choice.However,if I had not sold it,I probably would not have experianced the sequence of events that led to my interest in ukuleles.Sort of "the butterfly effect".

100_2961b_edited.jpg

At least I still have the teal Merby!

100_3722.jpg

Last edited:
You know, the Manini fretboard is narrower than the average soprano, but it's not distractingly small. I was able to convert pretty quickly to it. It also has a loud interesting tone that's really infectious.

I found a youtube clip of one that sounds pretty identical to mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp-CVlNnChA

You know, the Manini fretboard is narrower than the average soprano, but it's not distractingly small. I was able to convert pretty quickly to it. It also has a loud interesting tone that's really infectious.

I found a youtube clip of one that sounds pretty identical to mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp-CVlNnChA

That sounds really nice.What tuning did you use on yours Natalie?

Top Bottom