mango mystery

Like it

I like it from a milling perspective, aesthetic perspective, and tonal perspective. It sands and works well. Mango always looks nice, because it's almost always curly and has great color. The tone is very sweet. Kind of like mahogany, but unique.

I've heard others don't use it because it's prone to splitting, but I haven't encountered any problems with the mango builds I've done.

BTW, it was nice to meet you at the NAMM show.

The looks are amazing. I prefer mango looks-wise to any other wood, even curly koa. Wish I could talk about the sound, but I haven't experienced that.

just asking, but have you seen some great koa?

I've always like the looks of mango, but up till now have never had the oppertunity to use any. I have high hopes for the future though. ( fingers crossed )

Mango

I have a Kala mango uke, thought not solid mango, it does sound VERY nice acoustically, I'm not crazy about the shadow pickup in it, but that's something I can deal with as I haven't been using it electrically very often as of yet. For me, it's similar to what others have said, very similar to mahogany but slightly different, but very beautiful. If I had a real choice at the time, I probably would have gone with Koa, but being left-handed and finding the lefty Kala in mango was a sign, and i'm glad I gave it a shot, rather than buying something more expensive and converting it to lefty...

Paul

My Kanile'a is solid Mango and is very unique. It unfortunately is up for sale at the moment...here in our for sale forum. This isn't an ad, I just wanted you to be aware of the listing so you can see the pictures if you like.

Very unusual wood up close...I mean, there will never be two solid mago ukes that are the same. Pretty sound, it is like a very thin 'hog body uke, but slightly warmer in my opinion.

Top Bottom