Lanikai Lu8 v. Kala Ka8

notgeorgeformby

Reaction score
I'm getting my head turned by 8 string tenors. Does anyone have any experience of the Lanikai Lu8 or the Kala Ka8? Which would you recommend. They seem about the same price and I like both brands so I'm finding it hard to choose between them.

Lu8 is the one I have more experience with, I tried the kala one several times and to me they sound very very similar. I honestly think they might be the made by the same manufacturer and then they just put the Kala or Lanikai name on them. Fretboard felt the same, nut size and scale felt the same, even both of them had black nylon, dont remember the brand but the strings felt the same as well. I would say you go with either one you will be getting a very similar sound from both.

I've only played the Lanikai 8 string ukes. I love them. I am not a lanikai fan, except for the 8 string ukes. The spruce top ones are really hard to beat.

Yes, if you can afford a Spruce top one, I would go for that one.

@haolejohn & @jcarlos Is this the one you mean?

@equina The Ohana looks lovely but Southern Ukulele only seem to have the 6 string. That's the problem here in the UK, not a great choice.

Yes thats the one.

the Ohana looks interesting too, I would like to hear some samples of it.

Solid mahogany with a spruce top.....at that price, the Ohana is practically a "no brainer." I have been trying to convince them to make a taropatch based on the CK-35 for a few years now....maybe one day.

It looks like I'd have to buy the Ohana from the US, unless anyone knows somewhere in Europe that sells them.

So if I understand correctly from that video, the Ohana's C course is tuned in unison, right? Every other 8-string tenor I've played had the C course in octaves (regular C and high C), and I've always liked what that high C did for the overall voice. I wonder why Ohana decided not to do that.

So if I understand correctly from that video, the Ohana's C course is tuned in unison, right? Every other 8-string tenor I've played had the C course in octaves (regular C and high C), and I've always liked what that high C did for the overall voice. I wonder why Ohana decided not to do that.
I'd imagine you can please yourself with the tuning, same as with other ukes. It's bound to make a difference to the character of the instrument.

Thanks for your comments, everyone. I have taken the plunge and ordered a Lanikai UO-8. Managed to find one in the UK at a price within my budget. But I will still have to wait about a fortnight for it. I'll let you know what I think when it gets here.

Thanks for your comments, everyone. I have taken the plunge and ordered a Lanikai UO-8. Managed to find one in the UK at a price within my budget. But I will still have to wait about a fortnight for it. I'll let you know what I think when it gets here.

I've said it on these boards many times. I love my O-8E! It's my regular player.

- FiL

@FiL I just took a look at your YouTube channel and you certainly get some sweet sounds out of it! :)

@Tommy B Thanks, I'm looking forward to it! :drool:

Solid mahogany with a spruce top.....at that price, the Ohana is practically a "no brainer." I have been trying to convince them to make a taropatch based on the CK-35 for a few years now....maybe one day.

Despite what it says on the Uke Republic website, I don't think the back on sides of this one are solid. Everywhere else I've seen a description, the back and sides are just listed as "mahogany", which leads me to believe that it has laminated back and sides.

- FiL

Despite what it says on the Uke Republic website, I don't think the back on sides of this one are solid. Everywhere else I've seen a description, the back and sides are just listed as "mahogany", which leads me to believe that it has laminated back and sides.

- FiL

Mims is also selling it. According to her description, the b/s are solid mahogany.

Top Bottom