I think there should be a STRINGS forum

steel rider

Reaction score
At the top of it could be a Sticky with the strings spreadsheet.

The decision to add another forum will have to come from admin. Personally, I don't think it's needed, you can do a search using this parameter (site:ukuleleunderground.com/forum) and adding a specific word after forum. Another source would be Southcoast Guide to Ukulele Strings. You can also subscribe to their String Tips at the bottom of this page.

At the top of it could be a Sticky with the strings spreadsheet.

I think a bigger in depth explanation of steel strings and electric ukes should be posted hear since their so rare and not much info is given it may be hard for people to figure out how to string their electric ukes if they get one. I know its not 'traditional' but still there should at least be a thread in regards to the main brands of steel string ukes and what gauges are used for what models. just a friendly suggestion.

The decision to add another forum will have to come from admin. Personally, I don't think it's needed, you can do a search using this parameter (site:ukuleleunderground.com/forum) and adding a specific word after forum. Another source would be Southcoast Guide to Ukulele Strings. You can also subscribe to their String Tips at the bottom of this page.

I agree, seems like no one uses search anyway.
There would be a Forum where are hundreds of "what string sounds best" questions.

I agree, seems like no one uses search anyway.
There would be a Forum where are hundreds of "what string sounds best" questions.

Southcoast doesn't list my Pono so no it doesn't work for me. Since there are a zillion "string" questions it seems to me there should be a place to put them. I've searched and found String questions in at least three different forums.

Having hundreds of "what string is best" seems OK to me. I'd ask, "What strings are you using on your Pono AT ( or Mainland CS, or Makai, etc) and why?".

I hope the admins aggregate them into one discussion forum.

Second what you said, steel rider. I tried to search for string recommendations a few days ago-- trust me, searching for "strings" or even a combination of strings-plus-[make, model, tonewood, size of interest] does not yield worthwhile results on this forum. The word "strings" is simply too common in any ukulele conversation! A forum of string discussions and perhaps a few pertinent reference stickies would be extremely useful.

You could put any brand and size and you'll get plenty of different answers

Second what you said, steel rider. I tried to search for string recommendations a few days ago-- trust me, searching for "strings" or even a combination of strings-plus-[make, model, tonewood, size of interest] does not yield worthwhile results on this forum. The word "strings" is simply too common in any ukulele conversation! A forum of string discussions and perhaps a few pertinent reference stickies would be extremely useful.
Let me rephrase; use this parameter in Google search (site:ukuleleunderground.com/forum) adding a topic after forum i.e. string comparison . . . I did a search of "string recommendations"; this is what I came up with . . .
https://www.google.com/search?q=sit...ecommendations&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official

Last edited:
I think folks on here grossly over-think strings. They're a big factor in sound and playability, but they're also such an individual preference. They're also affordable enough that you can try a bunch and see how they actually feel and sound on your uke instead of going by someone else's adjectives or a sound sample made on their iPhone. Unless there's some good reason for not using a particular brand of string on a particular uke (won't fit, can't use wound strings on plastic fretboard, too much tension, etc), I can't imagine how endless string recommendation threads are really that useful. D:

I think folks on here grossly over-think strings. They're a big factor in sound and playability, but they're also such an individual preference. They're also affordable enough that you can try a bunch and see how they actually feel and sound on your uke instead of going by someone else's adjectives or a sound sample made on their iPhone. Unless there's some good reason for not using a particular brand of string on a particular uke (won't fit, can't use wound strings on plastic fretboard, too much tension, etc), I can't imagine how endless string recommendation threads are really that useful. D:

Good comment about "overthinking" strings. I think the same malady applies to ukuleles as well.

As has already been pointed out, there is already a sticky on strings in the Tips, Tricks & Techniques Forum. I think that is all that is needed.

I think a bigger in depth explanation of steel strings and electric ukes should be posted hear since their so rare and not much info is given it may be hard for people to figure out how to string their electric ukes if they get one. I know its not 'traditional' but still there should at least be a thread in regards to the main brands of steel string ukes and what gauges are used for what models. just a friendly suggestion.

Why not post a request for info in the Trips etc. Forum?

One of the problems with searching is the topic could be months old. Things change. This is a discussion forum; some of us actually enjoying discussing things with real people in real time, not just reading what was said last month or last year.

Top Bottom