Best bang for buck mahogany concert?

Mattyukaholic

Reaction score
I keep thinking my UAS is cured forever and then I convince myself there's one kind of ukulele that I really REALLY need!

I've really come to realise I like two things best of all: traditional Martin sounding mahoganys and bright koa Hawaiian ukuleles, and the sizes soprano and concert.

Then I realised I don't have a mahogany concert ukulele at all.

I'd really like to know what you guys think are the best bang for buck MAHOGANY CONCERT ukuleles. I'm thinking up to $800 dollars. Nothing crazy expensive.

So what's good? If a uke is twice as expensive as another it should sound a lot better.

Here are some I've been thinking about: Ohana CK38, Pono MC, Martin vintage (if lucky), Islander MSC4, Mainland classic mahogany, Kelii mahogany, Kiwaya KTC1.

I'm really grateful and interested in opinions.

Thanks,
Matt

Last edited:
I would give serious consideration to the Kiwaya. They're wonderful ukuleles. I have one and couldn't be more satisfied. Good luck with your search.

I bought my Pono MCD-E for a steal, including a Ko'olau hard case. Easily the biggest bang for the buck at the price I paid. New? Hmmmm, you are getting many fine recommendations. I do wish I had a Mele mahogany concert though. Also, don't overlook Sailor Brand ukes....amazing tone, higher-end Ohana's nothing to sneeze at either.

I bought my Pono MCD-E for a steal, including a Ko'olau hard case. Easily the biggest bang for the buck at the price I paid. New? Hmmmm, you are getting many fine recommendations. I do wish I had a Mele mahogany concert though. Also, don't overlook Sailor Brand ukes....amazing tone, higher-end Ohana's nothing to sneeze at either.

I have to second this. I had a Pono MCD-E as well, and it was a hell of a uke for the money.

It's funny you should all say that. I've been leaning towards a Pono. Is there a big difference between the Deluxe edition and the normal Pono MC other than the gloss finish?

I gotta say that my Mainland mahogany concert is probably my most favored possession. Love it-I even got the goofy faux alligator case to go with it . . .

It's funny you should all say that. I've been leaning towards a Pono. Is there a big difference between the Deluxe edition and the normal Pono MC other than the gloss finish?

Better tuners and ebony fingerboard and bridge on the deluxe. And the Pono gloss finish really looks fantastic.

I kindof wish I had that one back...

In my opinion the deluxe ones sound much better. Can't tell you why. But I have played a bunch and it seems consistent.

I haven't played a concert, but my tenor Pono MTD is one of my favorites. Definitely a great uke for the money.

IMHO a David Gill is the best bang for your buck.
But I have been loving the Pono concerts I have been buying people lately.

Best bang for the buck, for me, would go to Mainland. Mike and his wife inspect and set-up every instrument, prior to shipping. I have played a Mainland and think, dollar for dollar, they are one of the best deals in the ukulele market. Give him a call and tell him exactly how you want your instrument set-up, and he will do it for you; now that is great service!

I'd watch the marketplace here. I seem to remember a Collings UC1 going for that price range not too long ago. They pop up now and then.

I'm still a bit torn to be honest. What I really want is that old time Martin sound. I'm wondering about the Ohana CK38. I have seen loads of clips of the SK38 but none of the concert model.

Another question: is the sound between the slotted headstock mainland similar to that of the normal concert with rope binding?

I'm also wondering if the Ponos have that Martin bark?

I've been really lucky with all my other ukes but finding it hard to choose this one and I don't live near any dealers anymore.

Only way you're going to get an old Martin sound is with an old Martin or Favilla. No, Ponos don't have that old Martin bark nor that wonderful Martin neck. I own a few vintage Martins and nothing compares to the sound or feel/action of them. I have others that are great but have a completley different sound and feel than a old Martin.

The old Favillas have a smokey, bluesy sound to them, neck is a bit fatter. Martins have a slim, fast low actioned neck.

I have a Favilla and agree with Patrick. Nice uke and they are very affordable, though I have not seen a concert.

Hi Matt!

I had a Mainland Slothead Mahogany Concert. I really loved it. Nothing to compare it to, though. It was my first solid wood uke and I was a newb so it was mostly in the case with a humidifier because I was intimidated by caring for it properly. So I traded it. May have to get another someday.

But with a budget in your range I don't know. I'm sure if you wanted to try a less expensive uke you'd be pleased with the Mainland. And if not, it wouldn't be hard to sell without much loss.

Fred

This is WAAY under your budget, but if anyone is here looking for a nice entry-level uke priced under the comparable competition, I'd probably go with this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sky-24-New-...ltDomain_0&hash=item27d7561c84#ht_4955wt_1018

I recently got another model from this vendor- not listed here now-
but this same size with "sapelle wood"
and it's unfinished and very resonant and very well made otherwise

this one looks good too- beats a Kohala here and slightly less than that even.
Die cast tuners-
decent quality nygut strings of some kind
mine has an arched back- hard to tell from this picture whether this is the same
8 1/2 lower, 6" upper bout , 11" body length
mine actually measures out at 23 3/4" including pointy tip of head stock
the one I got is real wood- not laminate- and this is advertised the same way
My Cordoba concert is on craigslist now- and I paid barely more than half normal retail of that one for this one

Last edited:
Top Bottom