Boat paddle review thread in Buying Tips forum

Brian W

Reaction score
I am close to sending my deposit to Jerry at Boat Paddle Ukuleles to start the build process on an M series soprano. I have read good things on-line about these ukes, but have no experience with playing one. I started a thread in the Buying Tips forum and was hoping that some of my fellow UU members could give me their feedback. If you prefer to send me a PM, instead of replying to the thread, then please do so. I am a little nervous about the cost of this custom build without ever playing one of his instruments. Any thoughts and opinions would be most appreciated.

I think they sound fantastic. "The Flea Bitten Dawgs" use Boat Paddle ukes. Search for them on youtube and you'll find several videos of them. They also perform as "The Whole Earth Nuclear Ukulele Orchestra," so you might want to search on that, also.

Here is a video of them in the studio performing as "The Whole Earth Nuclear Ukulele Orchestra":

Last edited:
I had the pleasure of meeting Jerry a few weeks ago and he was gracious enough to give me a tour of his shop and share with me some of his design philosophies. If you get a chance, get him to demo his wife's ukulele. I actually had to look to see if it was plugged into an amplifier. Tone, volume, and sustain......fantastic! Needless to say, UAS took over and now I'm in his build schedule. I'm thoroughly enjoying the anticipation.

I have an M-Style Boat Paddle uke, and couldn't be happier. Jerry was very gracious with me in listening to my wants/needs, and making suggestions that would fit that, but also fit his philosophy and aesthetic. I was very comfortable with the entire process, and had NO issue sending him a deposit (which was larger than normal, due to a custom inlay request).

A lady in our Uke club has bought a couple. The last one was a concert with a tenor neck. Very nice and loud uke. I really enjoyed playing it.

I am close to sending my deposit to Jerry at Boat Paddle Ukuleles to start the build process on an M series soprano. I have read good things on-line about these ukes, but have no experience with playing one. I started a thread in the Buying Tips forum and was hoping that some of my fellow UU members could give me their feedback. If you prefer to send me a PM, instead of replying to the thread, then please do so. I am a little nervous about the cost of this custom build without ever playing one of his instruments. Any thoughts and opinions would be most appreciated.

I had my "Bling" ukulele made by Jerry. I posted a few pictures a couple of weeks ago but have not had the chance to do a complete review with a sound sample.
DSCF0196.jpgDSCF0197.jpgDSCF0198.jpg
Like you i ordered this baby without ever having played a Boat Paddle. I have no regrets!!! Jerry was very easy to work with and was very patient with all of my questions and changes to the original order. You can expect great sound as well as fabulous workmanship. I cannot find anything no matter how small to complain about. 1 thing of note though, this baby has fantastic sustain; better than any of my others in my stable of ukuleles. Hope that puts your anxiety to rest.

Rest easy. I too have a BP kayak and love it! As Dennis said, the sustain is fantastic and it keeps getting better. You will not be disappointed. I bought blind also and had some reservations but I did it anyway and was AND AM very happy.

Top Bottom