PDA

View Full Version : UKE Republic

yncs50
11-01-2013, 11:31 AM
I have to tell everyone that I just completed an excellent transaction with Mike at Uke Republic.

I bought my grandaughter her first Uke, and had Mike ship it to Ventura, CA.

USPS tried to throw a wrench in the works, but Mike wouldn't allow it.

She has her Uke now, and all is well.

Thanks Mike, all my business will be coming your way.

mm stan
11-01-2013, 11:52 AM
Mike is the man... MITM....:)

chindog
11-01-2013, 01:25 PM
Mike is a good guy. I love visiting his store.

Uke Republic
11-09-2013, 07:59 AM
I have to tell everyone that I just completed an excellent transaction with Mike at Uke Republic.

I bought my grandaughter her first Uke, and had Mike ship it to Ventura, CA.

USPS tried to throw a wrench in the works, but Mike wouldn't allow it.

She has her Uke now, and all is well.

Thanks Mike, all my business will be coming your way.

Thanks so much for those kind words. I'm glad she likes her new ukulele :)

And everyone should Semper Ubi Sub Ubi

flyingace
11-09-2013, 06:44 PM
happy to say I just bought a uke today from Mike. Wonderful to deal with and I look forward to more future transactions as well as my hopes of someday getting to visit his great shop! Keep up the great work Mike, can't wait to get my new Kala cedar/acacia from you!

tomthebaptist
04-06-2018, 01:59 PM
Mike is a super guy. I purchased all my Ike’s from him but one. Very good service

kvehe
04-06-2018, 03:11 PM
Another cheer for Mike! I’ve purchased a few ukes from Mike and they’ve all been stellar experiences.

Looking forward to the next one...

SoloRule
04-06-2018, 03:36 PM
I ordered a uke from Mike, when it arrived at his shop he saw a tiny flaw . He gave me a choice of accepting a discount or a refund. Mike could have held up my money and gives me a store credit instead but he didn't. I received a full cash refund back on my PayPal account.

I have been hoping and waiting for another opportunity to buy from Mike ever since.

Choirguy
04-06-2018, 03:44 PM
I appreciate the videos that he posts frequently on Facebook. You can tell that he loves his job. I split many of my purchases between Mike and Mim—The Ukulele Site doesn’t carry the Ohana models that I have been looking at, and both Mike and Mim get those models when they come out. Both dealers will also order entry level Kala and Ohana products on request—and both carry some of the same big brands (e.g. KoAloha). I’m looking forward to stopping in the store the next time that we visit family in Georgia.

P.S. I do have to admit that I’m jealous that he’s wearing shorts in most of his recent videos...we’re stuck in winter here with shovelable snow AGAIN this weekend.

besley
04-06-2018, 06:49 PM
Another metric to evaluate a business is how they handle returns. Well I have returned one uke to Mike - just because I didn't like it - and it was no trouble at all, no questions asked. Wouldn't hesitate to deal with him again. He's also the only domestic source for Living Waters strings that I know of.

Lapyang
04-07-2018, 01:08 AM
I once had a spur of the moment order with Mike before Christmas. He went out of his way to make it happen and I received my Uke just in time. Superb service. I will not hesitate to buy from him again.

Jerryc41
04-07-2018, 03:10 AM
Yes - good uke man.

Osprey
04-07-2018, 09:32 AM
About four years ago after I was playing ukulele for just a few months I happened to be near Atlanta and I went to the Uke Republic shop and met Mike. I only bought some strings and trinkets at the time. Over the years I have made several online buys of strings and other small items. Last year at the Strummin’ Man Ukulele Festival in Panama City. I mentioned to Mike that I was interested in a Cedar topped Kala Baritone. When I approached his booth he recognized me and reached around to hand me the Baritone. Of course I bought it. We chatted about strings and I bought some Living Water Baritone strings which I am really liking. How he recognized me after such a long time ago brief encounter I don’t know. But I am very happy to do business with him. He and his wife are a class act and run a first rate business.

Joyful Uke
04-07-2018, 10:00 AM
+1 for Uke Republic.
I mostly have bought strings, but wouldn't hesitate to buy a ukulele if one caught my eye there. (It's bound to happen sooner or later, right? LOL.)

I once got an order (strings) and put the envelope aside for a few months, and considered it my mistake to not have looked at it any sooner. When one thing wasn't what I had ordered, even though there was a time lapse on my end in noticing, Uke Republic corrected it with my next order, though I didn't expect that. That's impressive customer service. And seems all too rare these days.

I love the Uke Republic videos. If you need any proof that ukuleles are fun, just watch those videos. :-)

Steedy
04-07-2018, 04:44 PM
Uke Republic (http://www.ukerepublic.com) is great, both online and in person! Donna and Mike are quality folks, and they'll treat you right every time! :cool:

MattyPeq
04-08-2018, 01:26 PM
I can't swim, so I can't cross the ocean and visit Uke Republic. :p

But I absolutely love their YouTube channel. Thank You for the great vids, Mike!!!!!! :D

Alan S
08-19-2019, 10:46 AM
I am going to have go contrary to the general opinion on UKE republic. The Kiwaya KTS4 I bought from them was very badly set up with loads of problems. Lots of buzzing throughout the instrument, weak tone and volume (saddle set to low). It was pretty much unplayable.

After a number of email exchanges (and pretty bizarre advice from Mike) I sent it back to get fixed. Mike claimed all was well and even sent a seven second video clip to prove it. It wasn't, and after more email exchanges they replaced the saddle with a new Kiwaya saddle at the factory set height. When I received it back it was better... but only about half fixed. I have a strong suspicion they also screwed up the nut and that was not fixed. A point of interest is I had Martin M600 strings on it when I sent it back to UKE republic and when I received it back it was strung up with generic no name nylon strings with the Martin M600's in a bag (or course the Martins are unusable as they where already cut). That made me very suspicious about the nut. In one of the emails Mike claimed I was using strings that with too thin of a gauge (which pretty much means no fluorocarbons can be used). I'm guessing they screwed up the nut by cutting the slots too wide (and possibly to low) and they strung it up with thicker gauge nylon to cover it up. I will give fluorocarbons another try in the next week or two with some worth clears (on order) but I fully expect bad things to happen. Things are already getting worse on the G string as the nylon stretches out.

There set up was a complete amateur hack job. I have pretty much given up on UKE republic actually fixing what they broke.I will have to try and find someone local to build a new nut. I certainly will not be a repeat costumer.

RosieKamozie
08-19-2019, 11:22 AM
I bought a little Makala Shark from Uke Republic so my 3 year old could start playing around (and allow me to practice) - I was really impressed that they do a setup on these little ukes because I wanted something more than a toy, and playable, but not too expensive. Played great right out of the box! Thanks Mike!!

captain-janeway
08-19-2019, 11:23 AM
happy to say I just bought a uke today from Mike. Wonderful to deal with and I look forward to more future transactions as well as my hopes of someday getting to visit his great shop! Keep up the great work Mike, can't wait to get my new Kala cedar/acacia from you!

I love that uke! It's my everyday player with a low g on it.

AQUATOPAZ
08-19-2019, 01:13 PM
I have only purchased strings from them, which were quickly shipped. I do have 2 qualms about their website. The first is that models always seem to "coming soon", and the second is that, unlike Mim, laminates are listed as the species of wood, with no mention of them being laminates. Yes, we all know that only solid means not laminated, but not everyone does. A buyer should never be surprised by receiving a laminate when they don't now how they are labeled. Mim is much more conscientious about this.

Kenn2018
08-19-2019, 02:38 PM
I have purchased two ukes from the Republic: A Pono ATD and a Ko'Aloha KTM-00. Both arrived very quickly (less than 10 days)) and were both well set up.

I have also purchased a lot of Living Waters tenor strings form him. They usually arrive in less than a week.

Sorry you had a bad experience Allen S.

mikelz777
08-19-2019, 03:31 PM
I do have 2 qualms about their website. The first is that models always seem to "coming soon", and the second is that, unlike Mim, laminates are listed as the species of wood, with no mention of them being laminates. Yes, we all know that only solid means not laminated, but not everyone does. A buyer should never be surprised by receiving a laminate when they don't now how they are labeled.

I would agree with this. There was a hard to find uke I really wanted that was "coming soon". Mike was very nice and communicative the whole time but "coming soon" turned into more than 9 months. I gave up when I finally found the uke from another vendor. My thought is that if a uke is not in stock, it shouldn't be listed for sale. At the very least, if you are going to list something as "coming soon" you should be certain that it will be in stock in 1-3 weeks. That wasn't the only time I was interested in a "coming soon" uke from their site. The laminate listing thing is something multiple dealers are guilty of so it's not unique to Uke Republic. I'd list a 3rd qualm which may just be a personal thing but I don't like the scattered way the ukes are shown and how you have to scroll down the page to the blank space wondering if any more listings are going to show up or not.

On the good side, I did order a uke that was actually in stock and the communication was great, it was shipped very quickly and it was set up very nicely. I couldn't have been happier with the whole experience. I'd order from them again if I was in the hunt and they had what I wanted in stock.

Choirguy
08-19-2019, 06:16 PM
I think my tendency is to praise in a public forum, and to offer criticism directly to the individual/company. To date, I have purchased a few things from all of the big vendors, and am waiting on the Hydra to show up from Ortega at Uke Republic (Ortega pulled most of if not all of the first batch due to quality control issues). I feel bad about the couple of bad experiences that others have had--it's been nothing but good for me.

But herein lies the fact that we are blessed to have a few good ukulele-only companies, including Uke Republic, Mim's Ukes, and The Ukulele Site (not to mention Southern Ukulele Store in the UK). At the same time, there have been a few public complaints about each of these stores here on UU. I would guess that each of these companies just have to do their best and accept that they aren't going to make everyone happy all the time, even if they offer a customer their money back.

And in the light of the current thread, I agree that Uke Republic's website (particularly the storefront) could benefit from a redesign, and that the clear leader in that aspect is The Ukulele Site...but you wouldn't want to (and probably couldn't...there's just too much content) copy that site, either. When I search for a ukulele, I want to be able to search by company, scale, wood construction, and cost. Uke Republic's seemingly never ending flow as I scroll down just isn't a very efficient way for me to search for a ukulele. To be fair, searching by brand on Uke Republic is fine most of the time (except for Kala, which has 18,000 models), but it could be better--in my opinion.

RafterGirl
08-20-2019, 02:26 AM
My experience echoes Choirboy's. I've purchased ukes from many of the major online sellers. The majority have been excellent, with a few duds. The duds were all returned with no hassle. I'd feel good recommending any of the major online sellers that I've dealt with (Mim, HMS, Uke Republic, Elderly). I've also made two purchases of used ukes from Reverb that were positive.

valde002
08-20-2019, 04:04 AM
I also agree with Choirboy, if there is a problem then consult directly with vendor. Did you thank them for their repair attempt and try to return it with your complaints? Those are expensive! At least give them a chance to respond. This is a repeat customer industry and am sure they are not trying to piss anyone off on purpose.

Nickie
08-20-2019, 04:34 AM
I am going to have go contrary to the general opinion on UKE republic. The Kiwaya KTS4 I bought from them was very badly set up with loads of problems. Lots of buzzing throughout the instrument, weak tone and volume (saddle set to low). It was pretty much unplayable.

After a number of email exchanges (and pretty bizarre advice from Mike) I sent it back to get fixed. Mike claimed all was well and even sent a seven second video clip to prove it. It wasn't, and after more email exchanges they replaced the saddle with a new Kiwaya saddle at the factory set height. When I received it back it was better... but only about half fixed. I have a strong suspicion they also screwed up the nut and that was not fixed. A point of interest is I had Martin M600 strings on it when I sent it back to UKE republic and when I received it back it was strung up with generic no name nylon strings with the Martin M600's in a bag (or course the Martins are unusable as they where already cut). That made me very suspicious about the nut. In one of the emails Mike claimed I was using strings that with too thin of a gauge (which pretty much means no fluorocarbons can be used). I'm guessing they screwed up the nut by cutting the slots too wide (and possibly to low) and they strung it up with thicker gauge nylon to cover it up. I will give fluorocarbons another try in the next week or two with some worth clears (on order) but I fully expect bad things to happen. Things are already getting worse on the G string as the nylon stretches out.

There set up was a complete amateur hack job. I have pretty much given up on UKE republic actually fixing what they broke.I will have to try and find someone local to build a new nut. I certainly will not be a repeat costumer.

Alan,
that sucks. I don't blame you for not going back. I've met Mike and Donna many times, but have never purchased from them. I heard that he was kind of rude to Mim, and that tore it for me. Mim and I are friends. (I'm one of about a thousand friends she has, LOL)
I do know several people who have ukes from Republic, and he treated them all pretty well.

tomthebaptist
08-20-2019, 10:41 AM

Alan, If it didn’t meet your standards why didn’t you just send it back for a refund. This falls more on you than Uke Republic.

AQUATOPAZ
08-20-2019, 11:07 AM
Alan, If it didn’t meet your standards why didn’t you just send it back for a refund. This falls more on you than Uke Republic.

Some people are just really nice and try to have faith problems can get fixed. If Alan had to pay return shipping after having it "fixed", I can understand why they would choose to take it to a luthier instead. That would in no way make it "on them". The cost and hassle of returning things which are not up to snuff can dissuade many, and doesn't lessen a retailer's responsibility to have gotten it right to begin with. Mistakes do happen, and it is the retailer's responsibility to make it right.

tomthebaptist
08-20-2019, 12:11 PM
Some people are just really nice and try to have faith problems can get fixed. If Alan had to pay return shipping after having it "fixed", I can understand why they would choose to take it to a luthier instead. That would in no way make it "on them". The cost and hassle of returning things which are not up to snuff can dissuade many, and doesn't lessen a retailer's responsibility to have gotten it right to begin with. Mistakes do happen, and it is the retailer's responsibility to make it right.

Several years ago I purchased and received a concert ukulele fro UR. It didn’t meet my expectations I returned it and Mike made full refund and even offered to include shipping.

robinboyd
08-20-2019, 01:39 PM
Also had issues, but once I got through to them (it took a few tries) they rectified the issue. I have no problem buying from them again.

AQUATOPAZ
08-20-2019, 05:24 PM
Several years ago I purchased and received a concert ukulele fro UR. It didn’t meet my expectations I returned it and Mike made full refund and even offered to include shipping.

I have purchased from them and had no problems and speedy shipment and if I had received a ukulele with problems I too would have asked for a refund rather than be as kind as Alan ad allow them to fix it. I can't be bothered with a back and forth.However, Alan, apparently being more patient and gracious than me, did try to have the unsatisfactory uke fixed rather than just asking for a refund. It is COMPLETELY absurd to suggest that, because he gave them a chance to fix it rather than just saying give me a refund, it now "falls more on him".

Alan S
08-20-2019, 08:54 PM

I did send it back. They found a small nick in the head stock. I never saw it and didn't even know it was there. I have no idea if it was there when I got it or if it was done on my end. Several people did play it in the few weeks I had it before it got sent back. it is a pretty small nick and I would have probably never seen it if it hadn't been pointed out to me, but it appears that was enough for UKE republic to refuse a refund or exchange (I had requested a refund or an exchange for a new instrument with no set up on there end, which is probably good advice for any instrument moving into the professional range).

The end result is I paid a good amount of money for an instrument that still has problems, even after a fix by UKE republic, and they are taking no responsibility for it.

Uke Republic
08-21-2019, 12:29 PM
I did send it back. They found a small nick in the head stock. I never saw it and didn't even know it was there. I have no idea if it was there when I got it or if it was done on my end. Several people did play it in the few weeks I had it before it got sent back. it is a pretty small nick and I would have probably never seen it if it hadn't been pointed out to me, but it appears that was enough for UKE republic to refuse a refund or exchange (I had requested a refund or an exchange for a new instrument with no set up on there end, which is probably good advice for any instrument moving into the professional range).

A big problem I have with UKE republic is Mike simple refused to actually admit there was a problem and that they screwed up the set up. They did, but for him it was all subjective and personal preference. It's not. Weak tone with low volume and lots of string buzz (which is how I received it) means the strings are set to low. His advice not to use standard fluorocarbon strings because they are to small of a gauge tells me they screwed up the nut (that's the part they didn't fix and is much harder to fix then simply replacing the saddle). If you can't admit a mistake you never learn and you certainly can't really fix mistakes.

Since there is only one side of the story being heard I'll address this for the complete story.
When we received the first email I was certainly concerned and wanted to find the best solution because Alan expressed that he liked the instrument but was having buzzing. We set the instrument up before shipping with no buzzing so I wanted to check on some of the more obvious reasons you would get a buzz post set up.

The advice I gave was that Alan change his attack on the strings, he might have been playing hard and Kiwaya KTS-4 is a wonderful very responsive instrument. Alan also had changed to Martin fluoro strings that are a narrower gauge than the stock strings. Thinner strings in a nut slot originally meant for thicker strings(Factory Kiwaya strings) can buzz so I recommended changing strings.( Not all fluoro carbon strings are the same gauge. The nut on this one has not been altered despite Alan's suspicion.

Alan didn't want to do these things and wanted to return for exchange or refund. Uke Republic paid the shipping with a return label. Alan returned it with an obvious nick on the back of the headstock so we can't replace or refund when an instrument is damaged.

I tested the instrument playing various attack, heavy, medium and lite. The buzzing could only be heard if I played hard over the sound hole from the E string. I recommended once again changing strings but he declined but wanted to have it set to standard factory saddle instead and so we did. Guess what? It still buzzed when played hard on the E. strings were too narrow. I didn't offer to fill the nut slot and file so it could accommodate his thinner string as he only wanted factory settings - no setup.

I decided to replace the strings he had installed with closest to original strings Daddario Titanium strings. Result- No buzzing on Alans Kiwaya.

I've never felt a fault with volume as Kiwaya makes beautiful full sounding sopranos.

Conclusion: Alan may require a differen't set up to use certain strings, Alan might want to try a less aggressive attack when playing.
The instrument once again played great with the string change and we paid to ship it back to him in a new box.

Why would we set up a premium instrument like a Kiwaya some may ask? Generally instruments are shipped from all over the world (Kiwaya are made in Japan) using a cargo vessel, trucking and plane then stored in a warehouse. The varying effect of so many environmental changes can include, frets moving, strings going bad, tuners coming loose and more. We as professionals at Uke Republic take the time time to address, remedy and dial in the tone by means of a set up. This is done to insure a great playing ukulele.

Thanks everyone for all your positive remarks and support- Mike

AQUATOPAZ
08-21-2019, 02:25 PM
So good to hear your side of the story Mike. I know I purchased an RC Replica in Los Angeles, and they have a low action. It buzzed while I learned how to play that action - much less buzzing now with more practice.

Steedy
08-21-2019, 06:24 PM
I've purchased a couple of instruments from Uke Republic, and both were great. I've visited the Uke Republic store in Austell, GA on multiple occasions and have always been welcomed there more like a friend than a customer. I've known Mike and Donna for half-a-dozen years now, hung out with them on the field at UWC and at Summer NAMM in Nashville, and I'm proud to count them among my friends. They're good folks and they work hard to provide good service. Sometimes things can go wrong, but I know they'll always do their best to make things right!

Alan S
08-21-2019, 09:18 PM
Since there is only one side of the story being heard I'll address this for the complete story.
When we received the first email I was certainly concerned and wanted to find the best solution because Alan expressed that he liked the instrument but was having buzzing. We set the instrument up before shipping with no buzzing so I wanted to check on some of the more obvious reasons you would get a buzz post set up.

The advice I gave was that Alan change his attack on the strings, he might have been playing hard and Kiwaya KTS-4 is a wonderful very responsive instrument. Alan also had changed to Martin fluoro strings that are a narrower gauge than the stock strings. Thinner strings in a nut slot originally meant for thicker strings(Factory Kiwaya strings) can buzz so I recommended changing strings.( Not all fluoro carbon strings are the same gauge. The nut on this one has not been altered despite Alan's suspicion.

Alan didn't want to do these things and wanted to return for exchange or refund. Uke Republic paid the shipping with a return label. Alan returned it with an obvious nick on the back of the headstock so we can't replace or refund when an instrument is damaged.

I tested the instrument playing various attack, heavy, medium and lite. The buzzing could only be heard if I played hard over the sound hole from the E string. I recommended once again changing strings but he declined but wanted to have it set to standard factory saddle instead and so we did. Guess what? It still buzzed when played hard on the E. strings were too narrow. I didn't offer to fill the nut slot and file so it could accommodate his thinner string as he only wanted factory settings - no setup.

I decided to replace the strings he had installed with closest to original strings Daddario Titanium strings. Result- No buzzing on Alans Kiwaya.

I've never felt a fault with volume as Kiwaya makes beautiful full sounding sopranos.

Conclusion: Alan may require a differen't set up to use certain strings, Alan might want to try a less aggressive attack when playing.
The instrument once again played great with the string change and we paid to ship it back to him in a new box.

Why would we set up a premium instrument like a Kiwaya some may ask? Generally instruments are shipped from all over the world (Kiwaya are made in Japan) using a cargo vessel, trucking and plane then stored in a warehouse. The varying effect of so many environmental changes can include, frets moving, strings going bad, tuners coming loose and more. We as professionals at Uke Republic take the time time to address, remedy and dial in the tone by means of a set up. This is done to insure a great playing ukulele.

Thanks everyone for all your positive remarks and support- Mike

Well crap, talk about a tall tale...... where do I even start......

First off I do hope it is true that you didn't do anything to the nut, but after reading the above post your ability to tell the true is somewhat suspect.

First off, I pretty much never play over the sound hole so that part of the story is of no value.

Something I very much understated was just how weak the tone and volume was when I received it, and this is an instrument noted for its tone and volume. I have played entry level Ohana's that sounded better. I was not familiar with the strings in came with so after a week changed the strings to the Martin M600's. It was a string set I was familiar with so I thought I could get a better handle on what was happening. Still very weak tone and volume along with some extra string buzz. That is when I contacted Uke republic. This thing wasn't working.

What I got initially was a whole lot of run around (I have all the emails saved). Eventually they took the instrument back to take a look at it. Of course at first they claimed all was good along with a seven second video to prove the point. Even from a the very short video I could hear the signature weak tone. I simply refused to accept their evaluation. What they did do (after refusing a refund or exchange) is change the saddle to the original factory setting, and the tone and volume are much better. The difference is pretty dramatic. Yes it is not as easy to play, especially up the neck, but that is expected on a professional level instrument. I have been playing stringed instruments for over fifty years, at times professionally (though on a Mandolin) so I know how things work.

Uke republic didn't just tweak it out a bit from possible changes when shipping, they significantly changed the string height which killed the tone, and then refused to admit there was a problem. Getting them to fix it was something akin to having a root canal.

Hey Mike, I really didn't want to take it this far. I made one post and answered one question that came up and as far as I was concerned that was the end of it. Your post forced my hand.

AQUATOPAZ
08-22-2019, 02:02 AM
Well crap, talk about a tall tale...... where do I even start......

First off I do hope it is true that you didn't do anything to the nut, but after reading the above post your ability to tell the true is somewhat suspect.

First off, I pretty much never play over the sound hole so that part of the story is of no value.

Something I very much understated was just how weak the tone and volume was when I received it, and this is an instrument noted for its tone and volume. I have played entry level Ohana's that sounded better. I was not familiar with the strings in came with so after a week changed the strings to the Martin M600's. It was a string set I was familiar with so I thought I could get a better handle on what was happening. Still very weak tone and volume along with some extra string buzz. That is when I contacted Uke republic. This thing wasn't working.

What I got initially was a whole lot of run around (I have all the emails saved). Eventually they took the instrument back to take a look at it. Of course at first they claimed all was good along with a seven second video to prove the point. Even from a the very short video I could hear the signature weak tone. I simply refused to accept their evaluation. What they did do (after refusing a refund or exchange) is change the saddle to the original factory setting, and the tone and volume are much better. The difference is pretty dramatic. Yes it is not as easy to play, especially up the neck, but that is expected on a professional level instrument. I have been playing stringed instruments for over fifty years, at times professionally (though on a Mandolin) so I know how things work.

Uke republic didn't just tweak it out a bit from possible changes when shipping, they significantly changed the string height which killed the tone, and then refused to admit there was a problem. Getting them to fix it was something akin to having a root canal.

Hey Mike, I really didn't want to take it this far. I made one post and answered one question that came up and as far as I was concerned that was the end of it. Your post forced my hand.

In all fairness, you did leave out some significant details in your original post. You returned the uke after 2 weeks (most retailers will only accept return requests within a week, despite this they still sent you a prepaid label, and the returned uke had a nick in the headstock (which retailer would accept a damaged uke for a return or exchange? What are they supposed to do with it? Sell at a discount?). Uke Republic paid shipping 3 times and shipping supplies twice. You sent back a damaged uke. Objectively, who do you think really sounds more sympathetic?

WhenDogsSing
08-22-2019, 02:23 AM
Admins, please close this thread. It's going nowhere quick.

yahalele
08-22-2019, 03:15 AM

Why Uke Republic has not brought it back to factory set up straight away? That is simple. Because Uke Republic has changed action. And Kiwaya's set up and quality control is very good reputation here in Japan. Why Uku Republic need to check buzz, tone and volume, string and attack? The ukulele had been changed action by Uku Republic, and customer has claimed. We need it back to factory set up first. It is not only ukulele but also Macintosh, Windows and even smartphones. Why not? These inspections may bring them big argument.

Choirguy
08-22-2019, 03:24 AM

Alan, I have to admit that I like all of the super dealers, including Uke Republic. But I also think you need to be honest about your intent in posting--which was to publicly complain about Uke Republic. You restarted discussion in a threat that had been inactive for four months, and at the time, I believe you only had one other post on the forums...so if you're honest, the entire intent was to bring negative attention to Uke Republic.

You have every right to do so, I guess--but others certainly have the right to state their opinions on the matter (it's a forum), and if the company wishes to respond, as Mim, Mike (Uke Republic), and Andrew (Ukulele Site) will do from time to time when a customer makes a complaint in a public forum. And it's pretty clear that when they do, the person that posted about the issue is never happy about the fact that the company responds in a public forum.

At this point, I'd simply ask Mike if he will take back the ukulele, and order your Kiwaya from another dealer, because I don't think Uke Republic is going to be able to make you happy. This happens in life...people make mistakes and some relationships just don't work out. Move on, and find that aloha spirit again.

jer
08-22-2019, 07:51 AM
I don't have a horse in this race...but will say this:

Tone and volume are subjective....

Also, when you buy an uke from the places that do a setup (I do highly recommend this) you're not generally getting a personalized setup for YOUR playing style and the strings you're going to be using. I really don't know who will do that at no extra charge if you ask...but it's almost an impossibility due to the person setting it up not being able to see and know firsthand how you play. It's a bit of trial and error to get the ideal setup, and just isn't realistic if you're not in person with the one doing the work.
What you do get is a check for problems (buzzes, uneven frets, structural issues, etc.) and sometimes a lowering of action for easier playability (which is good for most, but not all). That's A LOT more than what you get from the big box stores online. Most of them don't even open the box. They receive it and ship it out.
I've never dealt with Mike, so can't comment on his setups. I have dealt with MIM and found her setup to be excellent for me. Low action but not too low for me. I didn't have to make any changes to her setup for it to be right for me.
I have dealt with Elderly Instruments more than any others. They haven't ever sent me an unplayable dud but I find their setup is sometimes a bit high for me at nut and saddle, although very playable. The frets are level though (not always crowned well, but very playable) so I can make final adjustments to get it more to my liking.
All that to say, we all have our own preferences and there is no one-size-fits-all. I'd say there can be a one-size-fits-most though.

I'll say one more thing:
I have owned a Kiwaya in the past and the frets were really low profile compared to most other instruments I've played. That made it more difficult to play for me.
It seemed I had to press harder to get cleaner notes, whereas taller frets require a lighter touch. So their factory specs just aren't necessarily for me, or weren't at the time (The Flight TUS-35 I have now has lower profile frets and I play it fine). There are just so many factors.

Bill Sheehan
08-22-2019, 08:27 AM
Good points, Jer. In particular, speaking of taller frets, I once had a Martin S-0, and the frets were nice and chunky compared to other ukes I'd owned, and I really liked the way they felt!

Alan S
08-22-2019, 08:43 AM
Why Uke Republic has not brought it back to factory set up straight away? That is simple. Because Uke Republic has changed action. And Kiwaya's set up and quality control is very good reputation here in Japan. Why Uku Republic need to check buzz, tone and volume, string and attack? The ukulele had been changed action by Uku Republic, and customer has claimed. We need it back to factory set up first. It is not only ukulele but also Macintosh, Windows and even smartphones. Why not? These inspections may bring them big argument.

Not only did the costumer (me) claim that Uke republic changed the factory setting for the action, Mike admitted in an email that Uke republic changed the action lower than the factory setting, which is already plenty low enough. Only after much ado about nothing did they change it back to the factory setting with noticeably improved tone. For the most part the problem has been solved but only after and because I raised a big stink about it and went through a lot of hassle with them. They didn't make it easy.

I am out of this thread. Way to much fanboyism for my taste.

jer
08-23-2019, 04:24 AM
Good points, Jer. In particular, speaking of taller frets, I once had a Martin S-0, and the frets were nice and chunky compared to other ukes I'd owned, and I really liked the way they felt!
I like bigger frets better too typically. I know with ukes already having a small fingerboard it's harder to get them on there without it becoming too cramped feeling though. I liked the frets on the Martins I've tried (Mexican made).

Rllink
08-23-2019, 04:33 AM
I don't have a horse in this race...but will say this:

Tone and volume are subjective....

Also, when you buy an uke from the places that do a setup (I do highly recommend this) you're not generally getting a personalized setup for YOUR playing style and the strings you're going to be using. I really don't know who will do that at no extra charge if you ask...but it's almost an impossibility due to the person setting it up not being able to see and know firsthand how you play. It's a bit of trial and error to get the ideal setup, and just isn't realistic if you're not in person with the one doing the work.
What you do get is a check for problems (buzzes, uneven frets, structural issues, etc.) and sometimes a lowering of action for easier playability (which is good for most, but not all). That's A LOT more than what you get from the big box stores online. Most of them don't even open the box. They receive it and ship it out.
I've never dealt with Mike, so can't comment on his setups. I have dealt with MIM and found her setup to be excellent for me. Low action but not too low for me. I didn't have to make any changes to her setup for it to be right for me.
I have dealt with Elderly Instruments more than any others. They haven't ever sent me an unplayable dud but I find their setup is sometimes a bit high for me at nut and saddle, although very playable. The frets are level though (not always crowned well, but very playable) so I can make final adjustments to get it more to my liking.
All that to say, we all have our own preferences and there is no one-size-fits-all. I'd say there can be a one-size-fits-most though.

I'll say one more thing:
I have owned a Kiwaya in the past and the frets were really low profile compared to most other instruments I've played. That made it more difficult to play for me.
It seemed I had to press harder to get cleaner notes, whereas taller frets require a lighter touch. So their factory specs just aren't necessarily for me, or weren't at the time (The Flight TUS-35 I have now has lower profile frets and I play it fine). There are just so many factors.
I agree. If you don't specify what you want, they are going to go as low as they can get it. That's what most people are told that they should want and that's what they expect. I think that the mark of an experienced ukulele player is knowing how you want your ukulele set up and conveying that to the person who is going to do it.

jer
08-23-2019, 04:37 AM
I agree. If you don't specify what you want, they are going to go as low as they can get it. That's what most people are told that they should want and that's what they expect.
Yes. I think that's usually good for beginners, but not always for experienced players who have developed certain tastes.

yahalele
08-24-2019, 12:54 AM
hi, jer and Rollie! The problem is not so easy for Alan here.

Bill bought a classical guitar two month ago via Amazon and post a thread (https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?140812-Real-or-Imagined) under Guitar Discussion. That was fun thread. He said that he had to knock back some sharp fret ends (see the photo below). Now I start a discussion. Here is a stupid person. He thinks shaving the saddle bottom (see the photo below) are same as knocking back sharp fret ends in set up. You might think it is too stupid. But just imagine there is a such stupid person. And read Mike's post. Then you can understand what he thought. He does not know the relationship between action and saddle. Hence he can not see the relationship between action, buzz and volume. Alan took more than 3 weeks to explain it but he could not explain it to Mike and Mike still wrote in that way in this thread. I understand his frustration very much in his posts.

https://i.ibb.co/kqcjC5f/3.png (https://imgbb.com/)

Last week I bought a guitar and post a photo in a thread (https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?140797-Can-I-propose-a-new-challenge&p=2173010#post2173010) under Links and Videos. This shopping has a bit of trouble (see the triangle below). The shop sent me a wrong parcel, and my gutar had gone to someone else's place. The shop was very clever and sent it directly from someone else to me. I have received it next day. I was very happy because I was really looking forward to play it. A couple of years ago, a customer of Mim post a threat about a buzz of her ukulele, which she received. As soon as post appeared, Mim replied. Mim had another uku in stock and she sent it straight away without receiving buzz ukulele.

https://i.ibb.co/PwqDHWW/1.png (https://ibb.co/qkTJQgg)

Alan took more than 3 weeks to explain and gave up to explain. He just received another saddle. I am very suspicious about this saddle if it were original Kiwaya's one or not. I understand his frustration very much. Because even a day was very long for me in my guitar shopping.

Hence I contacted with Kiwaya's Japanese Headquarter. Kiwaya's set up and quality control is very good and high reputation. I asked if Kiwaya allows this kind of set up service. Does Kiwaya think this set up ukulele brand new or second hand? Does the ukulele still has Kiwaya's grantee? I am waiting for their answer.

Bill Sheehan
08-24-2019, 03:37 AM
Thanks, Yahalele, and perhaps we can use this moment to have a mutual understanding that even the finest and most reputable of merchants will inevitably have something go a little "jinxed" on them, and that we're all, after all, only human. Life is imperfect, but the nice thing about the passage of a little time is that it most often has a tendency to ease things. I hope Alan will return soon, and we can all pick up in a spirit of good will and gratitude for the wonderful common interest that we share.

jer
08-24-2019, 06:02 AM
:agree: with Bill. Good post.

yahalele:
I can tell you really put a lot of time into that post with diagrams and everything.
For the record, I'm not trying to choose sides here. I can understand the points being made by both sides. I'm just stating there are differences of opinions and preferences.
To be clear: I do not doubt Kiwaya's quality nor am I trying to say anything bad about them. The uke I had of theirs was very well made. It was the least expensive laminate model. I think it was KS1. I did find it very mellow sounding which I quite liked and a little harder to play than the other ukes I was used to, due to the low profile of the frets. That was just me though. If I played one again now, there's a chance I might be just fine with the frets. Low profile frets do offer the advantage of being harder to pull sharp due to pressing too hard accidentally.

I'm going to stop posting in this thread too as I don't see it accomplishing anything positive.
I hope there is a good resolution.

AQUATOPAZ
08-24-2019, 07:18 AM
hi, jer and Rollie! The problem is not so easy for Alan here.

Bill bought a classical guitar two month ago via Amazon and post a thread (https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?140812-Real-or-Imagined) under Guitar Discussion. That was fun thread. He said that he had to knock back some sharp fret ends (see the photo below). Now I start a discussion. Here is a stupid person. He thinks shaving the saddle bottom (see the photo below) are same as knocking back sharp fret ends in set up. You might think it is too stupid. But just imagine there is a such stupid person. And read Mike's post. Then you can understand what he thought. He does not know the relationship between action and saddle. Hence he can not see the relationship between action, buzz and volume. Alan took more than 3 weeks to explain it but he could not explain it to Mike and Mike still wrote in that way in this thread. I understand his frustration very much in his posts.

https://i.ibb.co/kqcjC5f/3.png (https://imgbb.com/)

Last week I bought a guitar and post a photo in a thread (https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?140797-Can-I-propose-a-new-challenge&p=2173010#post2173010) under Links and Videos. This shopping has a bit of trouble (see the triangle below). The shop sent me a wrong parcel, and my gutar had gone to someone else's place. The shop was very clever and sent it directly from someone else to me. I have received it next day. I was very happy because I was really looking forward to play it. A couple of years ago, a customer of Mim post a threat about a buzz of her ukulele, which she received. As soon as post appeared, Mim replied. Mim had another uku in stock and she sent it straight away without receiving buzz ukulele.

https://i.ibb.co/PwqDHWW/1.png (https://ibb.co/qkTJQgg)

Alan took more than 3 weeks to explain and gave up to explain. He just received another saddle. I am very suspicious about this saddle if it were original Kiwaya's one or not. I understand his frustration very much. Because even a day was very long for me in my guitar shopping.

Hence I contacted with Kiwaya's Japanese Headquarter. Kiwaya's set up and quality control is very good and high reputation. I asked if Kiwaya allows this kind of set up service. Does Kiwaya think this set up ukulele brand new or second hand? Does the ukulele still has Kiwaya's grantee? I am waiting for their answer.

I have no opinion as to whether Mike made a mistake or not in setting up Alan's uke. However, the ONLY pertinent point is that he and his friends played it for 2 weeks and damaged it in the process. If he felt the setup was bad, he is 100% entitled to a full refund on an UNDAMAGED uke. However, once he or his friends damaged that uke, it really doesn't matter if it was the worst setup ever. A damaged uke becomes B stock and no retailer should feel pressured to refund it, which seems like what Alan was trying to do by posting here.

Uke Republic
08-24-2019, 11:01 AM

Hi Yahalele,
Its not a question of Kiwaya being a good manufacturer, there is a reason we set up. Keep in mind that we deal with thousands of instruments per year and know what we are doing.

yahalele
08-25-2019, 01:17 AM
Hi, Mike. You shaved saddle of Kiwaya(see the figure below). Simply we need factory reset. We need to get the saddle back to factory set up. If you have normal intelligence, you can understand this causal relationship. If you steal, you will be arrested. If you tell a lie, no one trust you. This relationship is simple. I use Macintosh computers. When they have a trouble, they show sad Mac (see the figure below). Then we make factory reset. It is same on Windows or even on smartphones too.

https://i.ibb.co/zVjg2fn/11.png (https://imgbb.com/)

I was expecting this causal relationship in your reply. Alan of course understand it but you don't. I am quite suspicious your intelligence based on your reply and Alan and your friend's posts. Even you don't have normal intelligence, you still have responsibility to your business.

Why Uke Republic has not brought it back to factory set up straight away?

https://i.ibb.co/tCRmDwk/unknown.gif (https://imgbb.com/) Alan
https://i.ibb.co/ZW5hGTt/ukerepubliclogo2012.jpg (https://imgbb.com/) Mark

answer
Not only did the costumer (me) claim that Uke republic changed the factory setting for the action, Mike admitted in an email that Uke republic changed the action lower than the factory setting, which is already plenty low enough. Only after much ado about nothing did they change it back to the factory setting with noticeably improved tone. For the most part the problem has been solved but only after and because I raised a big stink about it and went through a lot of hassle with them. They didn't make it easy.

Hi Yahalele,
Its not a question of Kiwaya being a good manufacturer, there is a reason we set up. Keep in mind that we deal with thousands of instruments per year and know what we are doing.

argumentHe knows what is the question and why it was asked. It goes beyond pointing out comparisons to using them to change the readers vision.replace the question to why Uku Republic sets up
OrganizationEvery paragraph supports the main argument in a coherent way, and clear transitions point out why each new paragraph follows the previous one.No fact, observation or organization
EvidenceConcrete examples from texts support general points about how those texts work. The post provides the source and significance of each piece of evidence.no evicence
MechanicsThis post contains a bit of errors in syntax, and punctuation. They are the evidence how much Alan angry is.Most of it is copy and paste of previous post.

Mike. You shaved brand new Kiwaya saddle and this happened. You'd taken about three weeks for arguments. I really understand Alan's frustration, anger and disappointment. I ask you full refund and apology to Alan.

https://i.ibb.co/cTk8vF4/1.png (https://ibb.co/ggmW7Tk)

Mim
08-25-2019, 02:14 AM
Thanks, Yahalele, and perhaps we can use this moment to have a mutual understanding that even the finest and most reputable of merchants will inevitably have something go a little "jinxed" on them, and that we're all, after all, only human. Life is imperfect, but the nice thing about the passage of a little time is that it most often has a tendency to ease things. I hope Alan will return soon, and we can all pick up in a spirit of good will and gratitude for the wonderful common interest that we share.

This.

(Since my name was brought up in the graphic I would like to respond).

I have messed up myself. We all have. We are human.

I think sometimes people perceive business such as mine and UR as larger operations than we are. And sometimes forget that ukuleles are made and then setup by human hands. Real people who can make mistakes, or miss something, or the ukulele is subject to the environment, or as Bill says, sometimes they seem "jinxed". It just all goes wrong. Heck, I had a transaction that seemed super jinxed and luckily the customer was super lovely about it. But everything seemed to go wrong.

Even with returns or swap outs, sometimes with our busy family schedules, simple human forgetfulness, the amount of orders, or just life situations in general something may slip and we are not 100% for our customers. Or sometimes simply communication gets weird. Or there is not another ukulele to swap it out for. Or the customer has a problem that is no longer there when it returns to the shop (sometimes just difference in climate can do that). It is the nature of small business that things go wrong and the system for a return is more personal than Amazon where the items come out of a box in a warehouse. But the benefit of a small business is we actually care about our ukuleles and our customers, you also get a piece of our heart.

Also, I have never had an ukulele that has needed to leave my shop without a setup. I don't offer Kiwaya so I don't know the particulars of that brand, but Mike would know if it does. In my experience, What ukulele doesn't? You would be surprised the issues that even the highest end ukuleles have.

I would hope this thread gets closed because it is getting unproductive. Humans are human and at the end of the day ukuleles are a music making tool, but are inanimate. This is a 2 sides of the story hear say thing. And goodness knows though I strive for perfection, I have messed up every now and then as well. And I hope someone would speak up for me if this ever happens to me. Lets go back to the initial post that was a glowing recommendation. That was the purpose of this thread.

AQUATOPAZ
08-25-2019, 06:35 AM
Hi, Mike. You shaved saddle of Kiwaya(see the figure below). Simply we need factory reset. We need to get the saddle back to factory set up. If you have normal intelligence, you can understand this causal relationship. If you steal, you will be arrested. If you tell a lie, no one trust you. This relationship is simple. I use Macintosh computers. When they have a trouble, they show sad Mac (see the figure below). Then we make factory reset. It is same on Windows or even on smartphones too.

https://i.ibb.co/zVjg2fn/11.png (https://imgbb.com/)

I was expecting this causal relationship in your reply. Alan of course understand it but you don't. I am quite suspicious your intelligence based on your reply and Alan and your friend's posts. Even you don't have normal intelligence, you still have responsibility to your business.

Why Uke Republic has not brought it back to factory set up straight away?

https://i.ibb.co/tCRmDwk/unknown.gif (https://imgbb.com/) Alan
https://i.ibb.co/ZW5hGTt/ukerepubliclogo2012.jpg (https://imgbb.com/) Mark

answer

Hi Yahalele,

argumentHe knows what is the question and why it was asked. It goes beyond pointing out comparisons to using them to change the readers vision.replace the question to why Uku Republic sets up
OrganizationEvery paragraph supports the main argument in a coherent way, and clear transitions point out why each new paragraph follows the previous one.No fact, observation or organization
EvidenceConcrete examples from texts support general points about how those texts work. The post provides the source and significance of each piece of evidence.no evicence
MechanicsThis post contains a bit of errors in syntax, and punctuation. They are the evidence how much Alan angry is.Most of it is copy and paste of previous post.

Mike. You shaved brand new Kiwaya saddle and this happened. You'd taken about three weeks for arguments. I really understand Alan's frustration, anger and disappointment. I ask you full refund and apology to Alan.

https://i.ibb.co/cTk8vF4/1.png (https://ibb.co/ggmW7Tk)

Either you have incredibly poor English skills or you are incredibly rude. "If you have normal intelligence, you can understand this causal relationship. If you steal, you will be arrested. If you tell a lie, no one trust you. This relationship is simple." "I am quite suspicious your intelligence based on your reply and Alan and your friend's posts. Even you don't have normal intelligence, you still have responsibility to your business." Here's another concept for you - Ad Hominem -"genuine discussion of the topic at hand is avoided by instead attacking the character, motive, or other attribute of the person making the argument". I have full faith that with your intelligence you are capable of understanding how this comes into play in your previous response. Just in case it doesn't, however, I will point that, despite you graphics, charts, layout, you have provided ZERO evidence of anything, but you have provided insults and vague allegations. Here's a thought. Instead of fancy layouts, why not put some meat in your post. Both posters have already stated the saddle was replaced back to factory settings, so you don't need to mention shaved saddles. Also no need to break down their responses as you have no skills in doing so. Instead of making one sided assertions, you are supposed to give examples, eg. "Evidence Concrete examples from texts support general points about how those texts work. The post provides the source and significance of each piece of evidence" is supposed to have examples of those "concrete examples" and "the source and significance". I hope you can improve your writing skills to enable you to write a cogent argument that lays out and backs up your position rather than merely hurl insults with cutesy graphics.

Joyful Uke
08-25-2019, 08:49 AM
I would hope this thread gets closed because it is getting unproductive.

+1 on this.

jer
08-25-2019, 09:07 AM
I thought I wasn't going to post here again, but this is getting ridiculous. Can someone get in touch with a moderator? I tried to flag a post, if it worked.

Yahalele: I was trying to be nice about your "graphics" in my earlier post...but now I think I get it. Looks like you think we're a bunch of idiots here who need a picture to understand things. What you did in your last post was flat out attack someone rudely. Maybe the language barrier plays into communication not being quite as easy, but your words up there are completely uncalled for and inexcusable. *shaking head*

To be absolutely clear, I'm talking about this part of your post that you directed at someone else in the thread:
"I was expecting this causal relationship in your reply. Alan of course understand it but you don't. I am quite suspicious your intelligence based on your reply and Alan and your friend's posts. Even you don't have normal intelligence, you still have responsibility to your business."

wickedwahine11
08-25-2019, 10:32 AM
Okay the personal attacks need to stop NOW. I completely understand how a dealer and customer may have very differing viewpoints on a transaction, even heartfelt, honest ones. But the line is crossed when posts insult the integrity and intelligence of members on UU, particularly when made by individuals that are not even a party to the transaction. I have no desire to ban anyone, or suspend anyone, but violating the general rule in these parts, aka “don’t be a jerk,” is not permitted. Thank you.

prb035
08-25-2019, 11:45 AM
Okay the personal attacks need to stop NOW. I completely understand how a dealer and customer may have very differing viewpoints on a transaction, even heartfelt, honest ones. But the line is crossed when posts insult the integrity and intelligence of members on UU, particularly when made by individuals that are not even a party to the transaction. I have no desire to ban anyone, or suspend anyone, but violating the general rule in these parts, aka “don’t be a jerk,” is not permitted. Thank you.

Thank you :D

yahalele
08-25-2019, 12:05 PM
Mark is on his business. I am blaming his business. Once we have paid money we can do nothing. And this might have happened many time and will happen again and again. I do not attack his private life.

Bill Sheehan
08-25-2019, 12:14 PM
So...... how 'bout those Cardinals...?

tomthebaptist
08-25-2019, 01:04 PM
So...... how 'bout those Cardinals...?

How about those Cubs? I mean Braves?

Bill Sheehan
08-25-2019, 01:41 PM
Hahahahaha! Thanks, Tom! I wanted to lighten the mood a little, and I decided it would be better to make a baseball reference than to comment on how Kim Jung Un ended up in the middle of an ukulele thread!

prb035
08-25-2019, 01:48 PM
Hahahahaha! Thanks, Tom! I wanted to lighten the mood a little, and I decided it would be better to make a baseball reference than to comment on how Kim Jung Un ended up in the middle of an ukulele thread!

Kim Jung doesn't even play ukes! He prefers Nukes! :D

AQUATOPAZ
08-25-2019, 01:54 PM
Kim Jung doesn't even play ukes! He prefers Nukes! :D

Uke shaped Nukes.

Bill Sheehan
08-25-2019, 03:47 PM
Hahahahaha! Grandma and Aqua may have come up with a great bumper sticker: "More Ukes, Fewer Nukes"

John boy
08-25-2019, 04:07 PM
Great idea! I hope somebody gets on that and makes some.

Bill Sheehan
08-25-2019, 04:30 PM
Great idea! I hope somebody gets on that and makes some.

Thanks, John!

prb035
08-25-2019, 04:34 PM
Hahahahaha! Grandma and Aqua may have come up with a great bumper sticker: "More Ukes, Fewer Nukes"

Thanks for helping to turn this thread around Bill :D Well done! :D

mikhou
08-25-2019, 05:08 PM
This.

(Since my name was brought up in the graphic I would like to respond).

I have messed up myself. We all have. We are human.

I think sometimes people perceive business such as mine and UR as larger operations than we are. And sometimes forget that ukuleles are made and then setup by human hands. Real people who can make mistakes, or miss something, or the ukulele is subject to the environment, or as Bill says, sometimes they seem "jinxed". It just all goes wrong. Heck, I had a transaction that seemed super jinxed and luckily the customer was super lovely about it. But everything seemed to go wrong.

Even with returns or swap outs, sometimes with our busy family schedules, simple human forgetfulness, the amount of orders, or just life situations in general something may slip and we are not 100% for our customers. Or sometimes simply communication gets weird. Or there is not another ukulele to swap it out for. Or the customer has a problem that is no longer there when it returns to the shop (sometimes just difference in climate can do that). It is the nature of small business that things go wrong and the system for a return is more personal than Amazon where the items come out of a box in a warehouse. But the benefit of a small business is we actually care about our ukuleles and our customers, you also get a piece of our heart.

Also, I have never had an ukulele that has needed to leave my shop without a setup. I don't offer Kiwaya so I don't know the particulars of that brand, but Mike would know if it does. In my experience, What ukulele doesn't? You would be surprised the issues that even the highest end ukuleles have.

I would hope this thread gets closed because it is getting unproductive. Humans are human and at the end of the day ukuleles are a music making tool, but are inanimate. This is a 2 sides of the story hear say thing. And goodness knows though I strive for perfection, I have messed up every now and then as well. And I hope someone would speak up for me if this ever happens to me. Lets go back to the initial post that was a glowing recommendation. That was the purpose of this thread.

Well said, Mim, and...

How 'bout them Astros! This may be our best year yet (if we win the WS).

tomthebaptist
08-26-2019, 01:25 AM
Well said, Mim, and...

How 'bout them Astros! This may be our best year yet (if we win the WS).

They’re hot, but them Braves in Atlanta are sizzling.

Bill Sheehan
08-26-2019, 02:51 AM
Thanks for helping to turn this thread around Bill :D Well done! :D

Hahahahaha! Thanks! Actually I borrowed that from a "UAS"-related concept that perhaps many of us can relate to:

Significant Other: "Is that another new ukulele?"

Me: "How about those Cardinals??!!"

Rllink
08-26-2019, 03:14 AM
Getting back to Alan's uke, being an authorized dealer I would think that whatever Uke Republic did to it would be authorized as well as not void the warranty. I can see why they don't want to take it back after Alan changed strings, played around with it, let his friends play around with it for a couple of weeks and put a ding in it. I mean, who knows what was done to it during that time. Uke Republic did try to fix it. But I would think that it would fall under a warranty and if he went to the manufacturer they would stand behind it. It seems pretty obvious that it is defective, and I think that had Alan just sent it back right off I would have a different opinion. But under the circumstances I think that his recourse is to take it up with the manufacturer. But regardless, I don't think that he should be stuck with an unplayable ukulele.

Joyful Uke
08-26-2019, 10:36 AM
Getting back to Alan's uke, being an authorized dealer I would think that whatever Uke Republic did to it would be authorized as well as not void the warranty. I can see why they don't want to take it back after Alan changed strings, played around with it, let his friends play around with it for a couple of weeks and put a ding in it. I mean, who knows what was done to it during that time. Uke Republic did try to fix it. But I would think that it would fall under a warranty and if he went to the manufacturer they would stand behind it. It seems pretty obvious that it is defective, and I think that had Alan just sent it back right off I would have a different opinion. But under the circumstances I think that his recourse is to take it up with the manufacturer. But regardless, I don't think that he should be stuck with an unplayable ukulele.

I don't know what Kiwaya's policy is, but I bought a new Kamaka that arrived with problems. Kamaka wouldn't honor the warranty unless the dealer sent it back to them. The dealer refused. (Not one that is mentioned in this thread.) I took it in for repairs, and the repair person tried to get the dealer to cooperate, provided photos and descriptions to the dealer, and the dealer continued to refuse, so Kamaka's warranty wasn't of any help. The repair person also contacted Kamaka, and didn't have any luck with that either.

After an attempt to get it fixed on my own, and still not totally fixed, I decided that the ukulele was only going to annoy me because of the problems, so I sold it to Elderly, giving them the history so they could fix it and resell it. I lost money on it, of course, but it was going to make me unhappy every time I looked at it, so on to other options. I didn't want to sell it as it was to any individual, because they too would have been unhappy with the problems.

Sometimes, you just have to cut your losses and move on.

Rllink
08-26-2019, 10:55 AM
I don't know what Kiwaya's policy is, but I bought a new Kamaka that arrived with problems. Kamaka wouldn't honor the warranty unless the dealer sent it back to them. The dealer refused. (Not one that is mentioned in this thread.) I took it in for repairs, and the repair person tried to get the dealer to cooperate, provided photos and descriptions to the dealer, and the dealer continued to refuse, so Kamaka's warranty wasn't of any help. The repair person also contacted Kamaka, and didn't have any luck with that either.

After an attempt to get it fixed on my own, and still not totally fixed, I decided that the ukulele was only going to annoy me because of the problems, so I sold it to Elderly, giving them the history so they could fix it and resell it. I lost money on it, of course, but it was going to make me unhappy every time I looked at it, so on to other options. I didn't want to sell it as it was to any individual, because they too would have been unhappy with the problems.

And that could be the case with Kiwaya as well, but it wouldn't hurt to try.

Joyful Uke
08-26-2019, 11:37 AM
And that could be the case with Kiwaya as well, but it wouldn't hurt to try.

IA. It's definitely worth a try, if that hasn't already been done.

yahalele
08-26-2019, 11:47 AM
Thank you Rollie.

I am asking it to Kiwaya Japan. Mark shaved the saddle. Mark can do it as a dealer.

Uke Republic
08-26-2019, 01:50 PM
Thank you Rollie.

I am asking it to Kiwaya Japan. Mark shaved the saddle. Mark can do it as a dealer.

You are a troll! Do you even own a ukulele?

AQUATOPAZ
08-26-2019, 02:31 PM

That's a horrific warranty policy from Kamaka. If it were me, I would have contacted my cc company to dispute the charges and shipped it back cheaply, but insured.

AQUATOPAZ
08-26-2019, 02:37 PM
Thank you Rollie.

This has NOTHING to do with you. PLEASE leave it alone. Allow those of us who can communicate without resorting to insults to enjoy this thread. If, by some miracle, you have something that ca be useful to Alan S, just PM him.

AQUATOPAZ
08-26-2019, 02:50 PM

If the saddle was restored to factory setup, and it still has problems, you may be right that it's defective. Of course, it's also possible that he needs a setup specific to his string choice and playing style which only a personal visit to a luthier can accomplish. I remember when I was getting a Brice Wei setup for my son at USpace, Jason was only wiling to lower the action a little, as my son wasn't there to try it out. Other than fixing problems like sharp frets and the like, action is so personal I'm not sure why any online stores do it And different actions, fret heights and sizes, neck width can play a number on our playing until we get used to them, which can all contribute to a bad experience. I personally believe one should give themselves a few hours when they first get the uke to see how it works for them, and return right away if it doesn't. It's possible that Mike made a mistake setting it up, but if he did, why could he play it without a buzz. It's all sad, but unfortunately an expensive lesson that customers do have a responsibility to be super careful with instruments they are unhappy with and may wish to return - not just use it for a few weeks and let your friends use it too. If you turn it into a used uke, it's yours.

Bill Sheehan
08-26-2019, 03:20 PM
Good thoughts, Aqua. For what it's worth, I've purchased several times from both Mike and Mim, as well as the folks at The Ukulele Site, and I always just tell them that I'd like the action to be more in the "medium" range--- in other words, nothing crazy. I think they all share that general philosophy, realizing that a too-low action can have the unintended effect of diminishing the instrument's projection and tone. Again, I totally realize how subjective this all is, but I've had nothing but great experiences with all of these merchants, and it's clear that they know their stuff and want the customer to be happy with a purchase.

tomthebaptist
08-26-2019, 04:07 PM
Good thoughts, Aqua. For what it's worth, I've purchased several times from both Mike and Mim, as well as the folks at The Ukulele Site, and I always just tell them that I'd like the action to be more in the "medium" range--- in other words, nothing crazy. I think they all share that general philosophy, realizing that a too-low action can have the unintended effect of diminishing the instrument's projection and tone. Again, I totally realize how subjective this all is, but I've had nothing but great experiences with all of these merchants, and it's clear that they know their stuff and want the customer to be happy with a purchase.

Good word, Bill and Aqua. That’s been my experience, too. Now to more important stuff? Who do you pick to make it to the World Series? I’m pulling for the Braves! How about you, Bill?

mikhou
08-26-2019, 04:43 PM
They’re hot, but them Braves in Atlanta are sizzling.

They are. But we'd only see them in the WS! :-)

Bill Sheehan
08-26-2019, 05:04 PM
good word, bill and aqua. That’s been my experience, too. Now to more important stuff? Who do you pick to make it to the world series? I’m pulling for the braves! How about you, bill?

Go Cards !!

wickedwahine11
08-26-2019, 06:34 PM
We are done here. Both sides have expressed their opinions and there is nothing more to be gained from keeping this thread open.