String changes on the Pono AT

steel rider

Reaction score
Changed the Makanas out today for Di'adarrio's (which are Aquila's or vice-versa, made in the US). The Nyglut strings are much thinner than the nylon, which I think I like because they are easier for me to play. The sound is more punchy too.

I tried a wound Low G for a bit. I like the tone but not the feel and the booming resonance. It sounded more like a guitar to me than a uke. Switched back to non wound Low C. I should mention that right now, as a beginner, I mostly strum.

Changing the strings is very quick and really not hard. For some reason it's much faster and less hassle than my old electric guitar.

I'm much happier with these strings. I'm looking forward to getting the Fremont Blacklines with unwound Low G and the Savarez strings to see which ones I like best. I haven't figured out where to buy Living Waters in the US. Any help appreciated there.

Just some feedback for ya'll.

Living Water Strings are not sold in the U.S. You can only get them from Ken in the U.K.

Just placed an order for Living Waters 5 string set. Was waiting for the Fremont Blacklines to come from Uke Republic but just realized I ordered right when they left for the week. So I decided to put on the Savares 150r set.

I have to say the Savares sound and feel very nice. Seems much louder and clearer. The A string is much more bright. That thunking sound I heard on my and other tenors is gone. These are nice.

I really want the low G sound so I put the Di'Adarrio wound Low G back on. I like the tone but I just don't like the boominess, if that makes sense. I'm going to stay with it and see how it goes. The tone of this combination is wonderful. Deep lows and great highs.

I'm wondering if there is a less "boomy" Low G string. The Fremonts are coming with an unwound Low G but I just learned it may or may not fit in the nut slot. Between that and the LW Low Gs I hope to have a solution.

Some day I will also try the Southcoast 50-50 setup. Seems cool. For now I need to spend my time learning to play!

I find the unwound Low G of the Worth browns to strike the right balance between boominess and clear tone. I try wound low g's off and on and I generally like them at first but the thrumming gets to me quickly, it stands out too much to my ear (opinion).

I try wound low g's off and on and I generally like them at first but the thrumming gets to me quickly, it stands out too much to my ear (opinion).

I completely agree. Can't wait to try an unwound Low G. Will see if the local shops have the Worth Brown Low G. I think I heard you can use a guitar D string as well - makes sense. Will have to ask about that.

I just changed (again!) from the wonderful Savares 150R High G to Fremont Blacklines. My wife thinks I'm crazy by the way. Again I really like the Savares.

The Blacklines are also very nice. Sound is very similar to me (good sustain, loud, clean) but the Blacklines have a lighter touch and are looser. Both are easy to play.

I added the Fremont unwound Low G. It seems less boomy than the wound G/guitar D for sure, and it doesn't seem like it's ringing forever, but I'm getting the sense that Low G is by nature a bit more boomy.

Non newbies probably already know this but there are just some songs and styles that don't work with the Low G. I'm over that and now know that if I want to strum some Bob Marley then my Mainland soprano with High G is the right instrument. Also I like having a "big" sounding uke and a "small" sounding one.

So my String Odyssey continues. I like it so far. I still have a Fremont Soloist Low G and a set of Living Waters on the way, but I can get used to what I have now.

One note for other beginners - the black strings look kind of cool but they are difficult to see on the dark rosewood fretboard. I think this is a good thing and makes me play without looking for the string.

Glad to hear your having fun with the string changes. I have to agree that black strings in general, can be a little more difficult to see at times. Glad I had some good muscle memory built up at times...lol

I hear nothing but good things about the Fremont soloist, I have never tried it though. I have also heard nothing but positve reviews on Savarez strings, I will try those eventually but really enjoying the black Lines riight now.

The more I try strings though, I do find that Flourocarbon strings, no matter what brand, are really hard to beat on a uke.

Glad to hear your having fun with the string changes. I have to agree that black strings in general, can be a little more difficult to see at times. Glad I had some good muscle memory built up at times...lol

I hear nothing but good things about the Fremont soloist, I have never tried it though. I have also heard nothing but positve reviews on Savarez strings, I will try those eventually but really enjoying the black Lines riight now.

The more I try strings though, I do find that Flourocarbon strings, no matter what brand, are really hard to beat on a uke.

I have to agree about flourocarbon. You and I share the same Pono AT. The Blacklines are a great choice.

I have to agree about flourocarbon. You and I share the same Pono AT. The Blacklines are a great choice.

Yes, I liked them so much on the Pono that I then tried them on my other ukes, with the same happy result. The only nylon string I will still use are the golds w/wound 3rd, I know I'm in the minority on those strings around here but i think they are great, to my ear anyway.

Top Bottom