Exotic woods get to me.

KohanMike

Los Angeles, Beverly Grove West
UU VIP
Reaction score
Prompted by the Walnut thread, I thought I would mention how much I like exotic woods. I just ordered this flame acacia koa tenor (which I posted on another thread), but I also saw this tigrina maple (but I'm holding back since I have a quilted ash that is similar). Beauties, and coming direct from China, not expensive, around $150 US.

uke6 Hanknn HK-V760DC.JPG

uke Tigrina_maple_cutaway_tenor.jpg

Last edited:
Like you, I am a sucker for exotic woods too! It's too bad that guitarleles don't have any exotic wood designs which are within my price range, which is why I settled for the mahogany =\
But back on topic: That tigrina maple looks really beautiful! it makes my UAS senses twitch.

Yes, beautiful but... laminate? I suspect. Maple is good for backs and sides (and solid bodies) but it isn't as flexible as koa, mahogany or spruce, so it's not usually used as a sold wood for a top. Usually a laminate. of course, a good luthier can make an instrument out of any wood, but the real litmus test is the sound. Do you like it? if so, buy it.

"Maple is good for backs and sides (and solid bodies) but it isn't as flexible as koa, mahogany or spruce..."

That is a thought I had. I just found out the tigrina maple is out of production, she said "Because of the difficult workmanship..." so you might be right.

The Lanikai monkey pod I have seems stifled a little, but that could also be due to the strings. I just read a quote from a luthier web site about monkey pod, "... tends to resemble Koa in looks and Mahogany in tone and character..." so it very well could be the strings.

Last edited:
There are two maple ukes in "The Heard" .One has a walnut neck;the other solid maple. the walnut neck is spalted fiddleback;the other spalted quilted maple with a dark walnut stain to show the contrasts of the grain. Oregon myrtle will give great sound, and grain colour variations that koa can only wish it had. Port Orford cedar makes a wonderful top. Pistachio makes beautiful, very durable fingerboards, and no PHITES certification needed sine they are all USA mainland woods.

Top Bottom