Woolley index fingernail !!

Jools1050

Reaction score
Hi Peeps, does anyone suffer from a hooked fingernail? My index fingernail has a slight downward hook to it and this means that it's hard to get a crisp, clear sound when strumming. And the index finger is key when strumming right ?
I've been trying to figure a way around it by using one of my other fingers but it all end up sounding a bit clunky ! I've tried a thumb-pick but it seems a bit brutal in places.
I'm hoping that if I grow the nail a little longer it might improve the situation.
Just wondered if anyone else has the same problem and how you adapted?

I have the same issue as my nails grow, mostly on my 2nd and 3rd fingers, the nail hooks down a bit. I noticed that it can hang up on the string when playing sometimes. The solution was really quite simple for me, not letting them get to long. After looking in to it, mostly classical guitar sites, the best length is really just a bit over the flesh of your finger. I assumed you needed to grow the nails quite a bit to finger pick, turns out that isn't really the case.

That being said, I use aLaska picks when I do have a nail issue. The key to success with them is a lot of filing to get them right for you, again not to long and allowing for the flesh to feel/strike the string as well. They sound as close to a real nail as I have found. Here is a video showing them (not me), I don't cut that middle support as the poster did though, I found they were to flexible that way to me.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2hlhMQI8fg

I know what ya mean about hooking the string. I've played classical for many years and have been on the " nail journey" many times. I file my nails into the " ramp" shape that's preferred by many classical players and it works a treat for me. When playing classical, I need to grow the nail a little longer than usual to rectify the problem. But on the uke, there is a great deal of strumming and having a hook shape nail is a bummer !
I've seen the Alaska picks you mentioned and was tempted a few years ago but instead started using acrylics. That was a big mistake as they ruined my nails for a year after stopping using them.
I'll just have to grow it a little longer and see if that helps .
If all fails, I will just have to try the Belucci method !!!

That being said, I use aLaska picks when I do have a nail issue. The key to success with them is a lot of filing to get them right for you, again not to long and allowing for the flesh to feel/strike the string as well. They sound as close to a real nail as I have found. Here is a video showing them (not me), I don't cut that middle support as the poster did though, I found they were to flexible that way to me.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2hlhMQI8fg

My problem is different in that my index finger nail is damaged and there is very little nail. I like the aLaska pick but it appears it goes 'under' the nail. Not sure it will work for me. I primarily strum and don't get the increased sound I think I would if I had a better nail on that index finger. Any ideas?

Happy Holidays

Yu could always switch to strumming with your thumb. Lots of people do. AND....the added benefit? Better tone. Really. (No. I don't strum with my thumb, but I'm thinking about it.)

Keep growing the nails, they may straighten a bit in time.

I do like Fred Kelly pics, when I rip off a nail ! They fit better for me that the aLaska pics

Top Bottom