UU QR code

mailman

Knit-wit
UU VIP
Reaction score
I'm a luddite, actually, and far from tech savvy. But the other day I saw a QR code somewhere, and it got me to thinking.

I had only a vague idea of what a QR code does, so I looked it up online. Now that I have a little better understanding, I think it might be a good idea for UU to employ.

Almost everybody carries smart phones today, and most are familiar with QR codes. Why not have a QR code that leads uke-curious folks to UU? I have had many people ask me about the ukulele after having seen me in a uke t-shirt, or carrying a uke case. It would be cool to have a QR sticker to put on a uke or a uke case, that once scanned, directs folks here to UU. The QR code could even be added to a UU t-shirt or sweatshirt, I imagine, to take it a step further.

If this is a bad idea for whatever reason, I understand. Like I said, I'm a luddite. But, shouldn't this be doable? We could all be spreading the UU aloha wherever we go....

Now I'm curious - do people actually use QR codes anymore? I was a smartphone early adopter and really only ever used them a handful of times (apartment hunting using Westside Rentals in Los Angeles, mainly - each property has a sign with a QR code that takes you straight to the listing info). I don't even have a QR reader on my phone any more since it's just so much faster to Google whatever it is I'm looking up, or go directly to a website, or use an app. Not saying it's a bad idea at all, just genuinely curious as to whether or not people find QR codes useful.

I tried using QR codes for advertising at uke fests, and on uke calendars, and as far as I could tell, I got no real benefit from it. I even had a discount coupon code, and nobody redeemed it. I assume that not enough people understand what they are, and they may too much trouble for some people. I have scanned in a couple, but for the most part, the link was not as helpful as I would have liked.

–Lori

My old phone was never smart enough to play nice with the reader apps when they were the next big thing, neither was my boss's Blackberry, so now that I have a smarter phone I never bothered getting a reader because it's easier to just open Chrome and tell it using Google's speech to text to go to the URL for a site or to search. I think probably most people ignore them now. BUT they do look cool and the idea was a good one, just maybe not right for this site. I think perhaps more nice UU stickers for cases would be a better way to go, and the guys can sell singles or varied sets. Make some cash instead of spending it for the code.

Last edited:
The ukulele is a musical instrument, it needs no electricity or computers or batteries. If you want to get challenged and enjoy it the most, focus on the music and just use things like UU as a resource, not the focus of the activity.
However, the idea of having a thing that you get read into you device to link directly to UU or a tutorial is a fun idea. But I think maybe there is a more challenging way to address the idea than using QR code technology from the last century. This is my idea to challenge the people who like to mess around with computers. Instead of making it so easy as just reading in a QR thing, publish a say 32 note ukulele noodle and an create an app that can read the noodle.
So you are sitting there using the computer as your tune book or to watch a tutorial. Now without putting down the ukulele, you play a noodle and the computer detects it and moves to the next page, or next tutorial or to a UU forum. IE you use the ukulele fretboard as a keyboard. I think maybe voice recognition stuff might be available to do the same thing, but using the notes from the ukulele fretboard would be a lot more interesting.
Cute idea, but making it more challenging is probably only going to reduce participation for those not into computer games. I don't know how much overlap there is between uke players and gamers, but those who spend their time gaming, don't have a lot of time to practice the ukulele. It would be great if gaming could actually turn into proficiency in playing a real musical instrument.

–Lori

QR Codes are dead/dying at this point. People still use them, but they never really caught on nearly as much as people hoped for.

QR codes were developed to pass along a larger array of data than is possible in a standard bar code. Very useful for things like address details to import into your address book, or a long and very specific URL (like to a particular page or document on your website). For "front-page" URLs like 'ukuleleunderground.com', it's better to just advertise that, so the brand sticks in people's minds more.

QR Codes are dead/dying at this point. People still use them, but they never really caught on nearly as much as people hoped for.

QR codes were developed to pass along a larger array of data than is possible in a standard bar code. Very useful for things like address details to import into your address book, or a long and very specific URL (like to a particular page or document on your website). For "front-page" URLs like 'ukuleleunderground.com', it's better to just advertise that, so the brand sticks in people's minds more.

Well, it sounds as if maybe it isn't the best idea, then. Thanks, everyone, for all your input. As I mentioned in the beginning, I'm techno-challenged, and am not really up on all this stuff. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but I can tell it's not worth pursuing....

Top Bottom