Season 90 - When You Were Young (Did You Take a Walk on the Wild Side?)

max2173

Reaction score

For those of you who don't want to watch me ramble on:

Any song from the year you turned 18. (If 2 or more people are performing, pick a year 1 of them turned 18.)

If you're not 18 yet, do a song from this year.

1 entry per person, others on the misfit thread.

Bonuses celebrating Lou Reed!

(Extra bonus, number 1 single from your 18th birthday.)

Multitracking OK.

Prizes:
The main winner (chosen by me) will receive an Amazon voucher for £10, or whatever the equivalent is in your own currency.
The best bonus track will receive a digital certificate designed by me. (Maybe a real one if I get time.)

Please don't post any videos until Sunday, Hawaii.

Have fun.

When You Were Young - Entries Playlist

Take a Walk on the Wild Side - Bonus Playlist

Happy Birthday and Whatever - All Other Bonus Songs

Last edited:
Brilliant theme. There were so many good bands around when I was young- I've got great music to choose from. Looking forward to hearing what songs everyone picks.

Great theme, but Oh man, the year I turned 18 was quite possibly the worst year ever for music. Luckily there were a couple of stand out albums to choose from, but the pickings are slim.

That is weird Daddy-O, because I figure we are close in age, and I think my eighteenth year was one of the best for music.
Great theme, but Oh man, the year I turned 18 was quite possibly the worst year ever for music. Luckily there were a couple of stand out albums to choose from, but the pickings are slim.
I mean- really...does it get better?

Get your booty on the floor my friends.

Yeah, I thought 1986 was the best year for music ever until tonight.

Get your booty on the floor
a. oh man that was good

and b. what have we got here, a bunch of EMBRYOS???

and c. i kinda wish i was a couple of years older even than the advanced oldness i already AM - got a hankering to do edge of seventeen - white winged dove by stevie nicks. maybe stand on a table and do it.

(i really wish they'd let her stand on the table and totally just go for it...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MWpe8zzSM0

but no it's all good i got something completely awesome from 1984 that i plan to mangle horribly

Excellent theme. Should bring a wide variety of entries.

I was 18 the year Love Me Do came out. The week after I was 18, it was Elvis no1 & Cliff Richard no2 here in the UK. Pretty much sums up that period.

Hey, Max.

Thanks for giving me an excuse to learn a John Mellencamp song that I've loved for the past three years, but never got round to. (I felt awful at first, because 2010 was mostly rap...then I looked it up and discovered that song.)

Take care,

Casey

Wowzee wowzee wowzee. Oh man this is HEAVEN. 1976 Yee haaaaaa

Wowee Zowee! That's my year! (Pavement album)
I have tons of songs I would like to do... Choosing one or two is going to be difficult... Great theme, Max!

OK - not a beegees fan but went through a list of songs from the year I was 18 and decided to do this one,
Run To Me.

Brilliant Brian. My favourite Bee Gee's track of all time. What a great start to this weeks seasons. You've set the bar high again.

first of all i wanna say what i forgot to say when i posted before, which is - WOT A BRILLIANT THEME!!!

second of all, and further to the text pa put up at the start of his brilliant vid, i hope no one IS overly concerned with giving away their age. for one thing who is gonna do the math(s), it took me an alarmingly long time to work out what year i turned 18, i even had to use pen and paper, so unless i'm unusually thick... ok i'll leave it there. and another thing - with age comes ah good stuff er like arthritis and reading glasses. yeah scratch that too

getting to the point - eventually - here is my vid...

"smalltown boy" by bronski beat from 1984

which makes me 46 or something

I'M NOT ASHAMED

Cool! I've always wanted to 'Rick Roll' the Seasonistas!

(Rick Astley's Never Gonna Give You Up was the #3 selling song of the year 1988)

(No, I'm not going to Rick Roll you...)

That is weird Daddy-O, because I figure we are close in age, and I think my eighteenth year was one of the best for music.
I mean- really...does it get better?

Get your booty on the floor my friends.

Oh the flashbacks. Yep, we're pretty close in age. I began a long run as a wedding and ice rink DJ the year that song came out. I was 18 in '88, and for me there wasn't even any fun bad music (like you're example). Really a lot of crap. Not much counter culture beyond Guns N Roses.
I remember a couple years into my job at the ice rink after being asked to play New Kids On The Block for millionth time I just couldn't take it anymore and broke a 45 right in this poor kids face and slapped on some Bon Scott era AC/DC. I don't think I've developed any more tolerance for boy bands as I've grown older.

Last edited:
Oh, this is just the best theme EVER! Too bad I am away at an important conference all week and have NO time to do this. Really. I don't. Don't beg.

1980, folks (you heard me right ... PLEASE be kind and tell me I don't look anywhere near that old, okay?). What would you want to hear me do?

So many great songs ... how could I possibly choose among them?

http://www.musicoutfitters.com/topsongs/1980.htm

I really Do Not Have Time. So just hypothetical, right? Really. I mean it.

- Wendy

[BTW, way to get everyone to reveal their ages, Max ... brilliant! And not that we would EVER have time, but what's the rule for duos? Pick either year? Split the difference?]

Last edited:
Top Bottom