Fremont Black Line string lovers

Dwave

Reaction score
I really like these strings I just wish there were more options. They are a black fluorocarbon, smooth and almost silky. I like them better than Worth Clears or Browns which seem to have a more twang sound in them to me. Black Lines are really thin and produce beautiful highs with great sustain, but not much in the mid range to low. The major draw back to these strings is the gauge being so thin. I really wish they had a thin, medium and heavy gauge option for tenor scale to bring out a more mid range to lows in there sound. Seems they would be a great option to black nylon thicker gauge strings like D'Adario or Hilo's. Nylon just doesn't have the sustain as fluorocarbon but comes in more gauge options.

Any suggestions, are there other options in Fremont’s that I am not aware of?

Apart from their clear set, their blacklines and their fremont low G 'soloist' string, that's all there is to them so far.

They're great strings though, I love the fact that the blacklines can produce a bell like tone on my uke.

Apart from their clear set, their blacklines and their fremont low G 'soloist' string, that's all there is to them so far.

They're great strings though, I love the fact that the blacklines can produce a bell like tone on my uke.

Yes, they are great strings but for a tenor ( I play mostly tenors) they are way to thin, to much high end IMO. Really wish they would make some thicker strings. Could you image replacing your Kamaka strings ( a very thick nylon string) with equally as thick Black Line flourocarbons? It would be unreal!

Worth makes a lot of strings in various tensions and thicknesses. So does Southcoast.

Try Southcoast. Some of my ukes are very happy with them, some sound better with Worths. I love the Southcoasts on a spruce top with myrtle back and sides and also a solid mahogany uke. I have a smooth wound linear set on a koa tenor that sound very nice. Also give them a week or more to settle in. They are bright and clear with a lot of ring and sustain. They are designed to be tuned up to D but usually sound good to my ear in C tuning. and they have a nice responsive feel. To stay with a dark string you could try Blacklines for the trebles and Worth Browns for the bass.

I put the low g blacks on my Mainland Pineapple concert longneck this weekend. Man do they sound great! The Mainland was always nice, but the new strings made it amazing. I was considering selling it until I tried the Freemonts.

I had them on my tenor for a bit... din't like them. Switched to D'Addario T2's. (I don't like them much either, but better than the blacklines.) I'm thinking Living Water next.

I use Fremont Blacklines exclusively now. See all the ukes in my signature; they all have--or are scheduled to have at next string change--Fremont Blacklines.

Just put a set of Fremont Black Lines with a Fremont Soloist wound 4th on a sinker redwood topped tenor. I was looking for C tuning with higher tension and clear, loud sound.

They're still stretching but I like how they are sounding.

https://app.box.com/s/az7qdczlc43ifdu2wq38

Last edited:
The only set I've tried came one a uke I bought and were fairly worn, so it wasn't a proper "test." But has anybody directly compared these to the Aquila Reds? I'm really digging the latter but always keen to try other strings sets to properly nurture my SCO.

To the original poster: Fremont Blacklines come in Medium and Hard (I've never seen soft, per say). I just slapped some on a sycamore Mya Moe that I got a couple weeks ago, big improvement!

Lucysukulele is an eBay seller, you'll see it if you eBay search Fremont Ukulele or Kiwaya Ukulele. They're about eight bucks a set, and are what I use (even on my tenors, but I do not play low G). The advantage of Fremonts, to me, are sound, looks (easily seen as opposed to clears), Matte finish and texture, and thin but stiff with no finger cutting.

Top Bottom