Warped Neck

Tonyruss

Reaction score
I recently purchased a KPK Tenor Cutaway. Long story short, the neck is warped and the online company that I bought it from won't answer the phone or return e-mails. I now have a Timberidge Tiki Tenor that I love. The thing is, the KPK is beautiful, is there any way that I can get the neck replaced?

How did the neck get warped? Do you know the cause? :O And how badly?

Only two KPK dealers in the US..... and both are good... You must not be in the US then

I recently purchased a KPK Tenor Cutaway. Long story short, the neck is warped and the online company that I bought it from won't answer the phone or return e-mails. I now have a Timberidge Tiki Tenor that I love. The thing is, the KPK is beautiful, is there any way that I can get the neck replaced?

From looking at the KPK website, you are fortunate to have happened upon a phone number. I am always wary of marketers who provide nothing but an email address for contact as does the site in question.

Best bet is to take it to a uke builder, but you can be fairly confident that the cost of a new neck will be at least what you paid for the KPK.

I've seen ukes with twisted necks corrected with a new custom fretboard that compensates to remove the twist.

I've seen ukes with twisted necks corrected with a new custom fretboard that compensates to remove the twist.

Hey Doc...sounds expensive is it worth to fix or should the owner keep trying to get ahold of the people he bought it from...sounds like it should be replaced with no charges

Of course the company should replace or repair it, but I remember seeing that website before, and being immediately suspicious because of the continued use of "ukulele's" instead of "ukuleles". Even on their logo at the top of pages, and throughout the site. Doesn't inspire confidence.

If you're adventurous and have some basic tools and skills, you could try straightening the neck. I have a koa uke from Vietnam that twisted the neck shortly after I got it, and rather than assign it as a wall-hanger, I rigged some clamps on a table top that would try to force the neck in the desired direction. Then I used a heat gun, and some trial and re-doing, until I got it straight enough to play well (after untwisting, there was a high area in the middle, which was easy to force the same way with clamps and heat. You apply the pressure, heat it evenly along the neck (hair dryer may work, I used a heat gun...carefully!!), and let it cool, then check it and repeat until it is good. It may also be necessary to check and level the frets, and there are some good online YouTube tutorials of how to do that without breaking the bank.

Of course it may not work, but it's a moderate-priced uke, and if you have no manufacturer taking responsibility for it, it's certainly worth a try if you have little to lose except a wall-hanger. The one I did has remained OK for several months now, so I suspect it may stay usable. The twist was pretty severe to begin with, and it was unplayable unless you didn't mind a LOT of string to fret clearance on one side, and the resulting bad intonation.

I might be able to help you as my son-in-law lives in New Zealand and purchased from the same site as you did at buyukulele.com.au. Assuming you live in Australia he said that the shipping label had a physical address unlike the Post Box on the site. He will check where he put the box and send me the address which he thinks came from Melbourne. I will send you a PM with the information when I get it.

Hmmm, not sure about 2nd party dealers, but have found PiliKoko to be a responsive and concerned company. I would be very surprised if they didn't provide you with a new uke. With good pics, may not even need to return yours.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the advice, at least I now have a few options. I might get in touch with KPK and see what they think about these shonky people that are on- selling their instruments.

Top Bottom