New Southcoast Strings: HML-RW: Heavy Medium Gauge Linear Set w/ round wound basse

Dan Uke

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Dirk sent me a set since I wanted a higher tension set than the Medium Smooth Set.

nice Daniel...

is the C string like a Fremont lowG...or made by the same company...
is it the same color as a Fremont?

same diameter as the old round wound C string?

Dirk is a very helpful,and great guy. Glad you are enjoying your new strings. Seems they would work well for your finger style. I am more of a strummer with finger style added to sections with the exception of a few finger style only songs. I wonder what strumming would be like into the higher tension. They sound nice.

Thanks Len, I am not sure of the diameter but one thing good is that it is cheaper than the smooth so this will be my string of choice for now. I eventually gotta try the Fremont Low G and see how similar it is.

Hey Richard, I personally like high tension cuz they don't ring as long but I think most people like less tension.

Thanks Len, I am not sure of the diameter but one thing good is that it is cheaper than the smooth so this will be my string of choice for now. I eventually gotta try the Fremont Low G and see how similar it is.

Hey Richard, I personally like high tension cuz they don't ring as long but I think most people like less tension.

Hey Daniel...I got to tell you in the ML-SW set that is a Fremont LowG that is used as their LowG...so is it the same string in the new HML-RW set

I am confused so I asked Dirk directly...waiting for an email from him

Thanks

Hey Daniel...I got to tell you in the ML-SW set that is a Fremont LowG that is used as their LowG...so is it the same string in the new HML-RW set

I am confused so I asked Dirk directly...waiting for an email from him

Thanks

The smooth might be the same but this seems like a diff't material or at least it sounds different. I can't imagine that it cost $4.25 to polish the strings to make them squeekless. I assume there's only a few companies that makes strings so curious too. Let's see what he says I have no idea.

If the Low G are the same, I am still in a dilemma as I need 3 more strings!! hahaha

The smooth might be the same but this seems like a diff't material or at least it sounds different. I can't imagine that it cost $4.25 to polish the strings to make them squeekless. I assume there's only a few companies that makes strings so curious too. Let's see what he says I have no idea.

If the Low G are the same, I am still in a dilemma as I need 3 more strings!! hahaha

I will wait for Dirk for an answer

but the Fremont soloist LowG cost $4.00 retail?

I like the idea that the C string is the same brand/material...that is what I been looking for

I just put a set on my Moore Bettah tonight and was amazed how well they sound. I thought the old version of his Round WOunds were good but they pale in comparison to the new HML-R/W's. I had the SW's on for a couple of weeks and frankly am glad they are off. I felt the tension was just not there like the old RW's.

I came here tonight with the intention of writing a bit on the HML-RW"s and how good they sounded but you beat me to it Daniel lol. Great review. Dirk really outdid himself on these. Love the feel, tension and sound.

I just put a set on my Moore Bettah tonight and was amazed how well they sound. I thought the old version of his Round WOunds were good but they pale in comparison to the new HML-R/W's. I had the SW's on for a couple of weeks and frankly am glad they are off. I felt the tension was just not there like the old RW's.

I came here tonight with the intention of writing a bit on the HML-RW"s and how good they sounded but you beat me to it Daniel lol. Great review. Dirk really outdid himself on these. Love the feel, tension and sound.

Hey Pat I been looking for a smooth wound C string....

you know what the Fremont soloist look/feel like....are these the same....
if so I a on board to...I only play fingerstyle so this what I am looking for too...
but I like the old ones too...

I change the 2 top strings on the ML-SW to Worth strings..so are you saying they have more tension then the ML-SW top 2 strings?

doesn't really matter as I have ordered the HML ones already...haha
so I will find out for myself....

take care my Moore Bettah brother!

Hey Pat I been looking for a smooth wound C string....

you know what the Fremont soloist look/feel like....are these the same....
if so I a on board to...I only play fingerstyle so this what I am looking for too...
but I like the old ones too...

I change the 2 top strings on the ML-SW to Worth strings..so are you saying they have more tension then the ML-SW top 2 strings?

doesn't really matter as I have ordered the HML ones already...haha
so I will find out for myself....

take care my Moore Bettah brother!

Yep more tension and a smoother feel than the old rw's. Blew me away how much they seemed to open up the M/B. Take care also my brother. How is yours doing? Mine just gets better and better. I appreciate it more and more everyday. The new HML's will surprize you for sure.

I have a response from Dirk..he says the HML's are round wound strings and different from Fremont Soloist...so they do squeak a little...but are polished so hopefully that gets most of the squeaks out...

I will try them out...thanks Daniel/Pat

I have a response from Dirk..he says the HML's are round wound strings and different from Fremont Soloist...so they do squeak a little...but are polished so hopefully that gets most of the squeaks out...

I will try them out...thanks Daniel/Pat

Hey Len, I just checked SC website and they have HML-FW: Heavy Medium Gauge Linear Set w/ flat wound basses, which should be squeekless and comes with E & A fluorcabon strings.

Remember to give it a week as they sound metallic when you first put them on.

Southcoast strings haven't disappointed me yet, so I am convinced the new stuff is just as good as the earlier. Dirk deserves our greatest respect (and some money too) for the work he lays down. Long live Southcoast!

Hey Len, I just checked SC website and they have HML-FW: Heavy Medium Gauge Linear Set w/ flat wound basses, which should be squeekless and comes with E & A fluorcabon strings.

Remember to give it a week as they sound metallic when you first put them on.

Thanks Daniel

I seen those...but I don't want to mess around the ball ends.....
I guess you can just cut them off?

Thanks Daniel

I seen those...but I don't want to mess around the ball ends.....
I guess you can just cut them off?

Perfect for me.

(String through)

Top Bottom