Abilene

kleblanc

Reaction score

Comments always welcomed! I have always loved this song. Seemed like a good choice for the uke.

Great performance Kerry. Abilene is often played in my 'uke jam group and I am youngest of the bunch at 59 years old.

I have loved this song for many years. And one day I found out that I was working with the son of one of the writers. I don't know the whole story but sometimes there are only two people credited for writing this song - Gibson and Loudermilk. But you will also see a third person credited - Brown. I worked with Josh LeRoy Brown in the early 2000s. Josh was a brewery rep for Widmer Brothers Brewing in Manhattan, New York. He told me that his dad was soaking in the bathtub and came up with some lyrics and then met up with the other two and the song was completed. Josh also said that his dad still gets mailbox money for the rights to the song. I have no proof of any of this but I have no reason to doubt. Josh is also an accomplished musician but recent Google searches have turned up nothing.

Thank you for the kind words! Always good to learn the history of songs. Must be nice to have a jam group. I cannot find anyone to jam with without needing to do a 2 or more hour drive away. Too much for me right now.

Top Bottom