Tenor Action

Ukulele Eddie

Reaction score
I'm curious what various luthiers use as guidelines for how high to set the action in the tenors they make? And, at which points is it measured (e.g., the xth and yth frets)?

Mahalo!

Eddie

I'm going to say that 2.5mm at the 12th fret is a good average with anywhere from 2.0 to 3.0mm being normal depending on personal preference of the luthier and/or customer.

At Mya-Moe, tenor action is set around .085 inches at the 12th fret. This is lower than many builders and requires careful fretwork, a slight amount of relief and a "fall off" of the fretbaord where it meets the body. But, it makes it playable with strong tone and in tune all the way up the neck. At the nut, we use a feeler gauge to set it above the finger board, but I don't remember the number, sorry!
Aaron

I'm curious what various luthiers use as guidelines for how high to set the action in the tenors they make? And, at which points is it measured (e.g., the xth and yth frets)?

Mahalo!

Eddie

There is no standard IMO. It depends on the players technique, strings used, and other factors. If everything on the set up is done correctly, use your best judgment and what feels right and sounds the best. I wouldn't worry too much about chasing a bunch of numbers. When I do a set up on a new instrument, I never measure anything, after a while and with some practice, it just become intuitive.

Yep...there's a big range at the 12th fret for action. 1st fret is the really critical spot for playability. I shoot for 0.01" using a feeler gauge.
I find I can get used to high or low action at the 12th fret if the 1st fret action is good....but I usually go for 0.09"

Top Bottom