PDA

View Full Version : Things we lost in the fire



Wongo
11-04-2013, 02:04 AM
Hi all it seems like an eternity since I was last on. We had a house fire that caused serious damage to our home and most of its contents. Sadly we lost one of our new kittens to the blaze. Which devastated our children. But we are grateful everyone else was unharmed. We are near to being back to normal as we could be. So it's on with the future from here.
A note to you all PLEASE CHECK THAT YOUR FIRE ALARMS ARE WORKING. I don't know what would have happened if ours weren't working that night.

HBolte
11-04-2013, 02:09 AM
I can't imagine how frightening that was. Happy you all survived.

consitter
11-04-2013, 02:36 AM
Hi all it seems like an eternity since I was last on. We had a house fire that caused serious damage to our home and most of its contents. Sadly we lost one of our new kittens to the blaze. Which devastated our children. But we are grateful everyone else was unharmed. We are near to being back to normal as we could be. So it's on with the future from here.
A note to you all PLEASE CHECK THAT YOUR FIRE ALARMS ARE WORKING. I don't know what would have happened if ours weren't working that night.

Alex, I am soooo terribly sorry to hear about this. But I am also sooooo glad that you and your family made it out alive! Terribly sorry about the kitten. I lost my cat of 19 years in January, and it's like losing a member of the family.

I know I live across the pond, but I'll be sending my thoughts your way every day. When I read your post, I just got a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. Take care my friend.

wayfarer75
11-04-2013, 02:37 AM
That's very sad you lost your kitten, but I'm so glad the rest of you made it out okay! Fire alarms are so important!

Newportlocal
11-04-2013, 02:49 AM
I was wondering where you had gone. Hadn't seen you here for a while. Sorry for the loss of your things and your kitten. Such a terrible situation. Glad the rest of your family is all o.k.

PhilUSAFRet
11-04-2013, 03:52 AM
Belated prayers that you and yours are safe.

glass
11-04-2013, 04:00 AM
What a bummer Alex...heres to a better future. The fire companies here say change your fire detector batteries when you do Daylight savings time, I hope everyone did that I know we did!

Wongo
11-04-2013, 04:30 AM
Thank you all. It's so good to be back. My biggest problem right now is trying to remember all my passwords for anything computer based. I have so many variants but use auto login so my brain is struggling to figure it all out. Oh well I get there eventually. At least I have the uu password now lol

GinnyT11
11-04-2013, 04:41 AM
Alex, I'm so sorry to read your alarming news. What an upsetting event for you all. I hope each day (and each re-located password) brings you back a little to the good, normal family feeling you had before.
Best wishes to you and your family.

Ginny

PS--It's also an opportunity to leave some less-desirable things behind.

Louis0815
11-04-2013, 10:44 AM
My biggest problem right now is trying to remember all my passwords for anything computer based. I have so many variants but use auto login so my brain is struggling to figure it all out.Seems you should take the chance and start using a password manager, just as a backup - I couldn't do without KeePass (http://keepass.info), having fairly long random passwords almost everywhere.

Shady Wilbury
11-04-2013, 11:22 AM
Sorry to hear about this, Alex.

Glad to see you back - hope things start to improve for you soon.

Take care,

prairieschooner
11-04-2013, 11:23 AM
A note to you all PLEASE CHECK THAT YOUR FIRE ALARMS ARE WORKING. I don't know what would have happened if ours weren't working that night.

I replace the Batteries in our Cabin, Motorhome and Rentals every Fall right after the Time Change (Daylight Savings). Another bit of advice is to have Carbon Monoxide Alarms as well!

hmgberg
11-04-2013, 11:28 AM
My goodness! So sorry to hear of this.

Nickie
11-04-2013, 11:52 AM
Wow, so sorry to hear about the loss of your kitten, and your house! I hope you all recover quickly! Am glad the rest of you are safe.

gyosh
11-04-2013, 12:07 PM
Glad you and the family are safe.


Terribly sorry for your losses.

sukie
11-04-2013, 12:37 PM
I was wondering where you had gone. Hadn't seen you here for a while. Sorry for the loss of your things and your kitten. Such a terrible situation. Glad the rest of your family is all o.k.

Newport took the words right out of my mouth. At least you are all safe.

coolkayaker1
11-04-2013, 01:02 PM
I fear fire.

I have fire extinguishers in every room in the house. A good investment to stop something small from becoming big.

I've met several people who lost everything they own in a fire. I fear fire.

I'm sorry for you, Alex. Thanks for posting.

Wongo
11-04-2013, 09:04 PM
As I said we are doing well. The insurance company has been really good so it hasn't been as difficult to get things sorted as I thought it would be. Thank you all for your thoughts and well wishes :)

erivel
11-04-2013, 09:28 PM
Oh Alex sorry to hear this. I'm glad you and your family are ok.

Tikiden
11-05-2013, 02:11 AM
So very sorry for your loss. And an excellent reminder for the rest of us to update our smoke detectors. Also get either a combo or separate carbon monoxide detector too. Some brands like Kiddie now offer 10-year battery options too. I hope your getting back to normal is expeditious and to your satisfaction.

Skinny Money McGee
11-05-2013, 02:28 AM
I had a house fire years ago. Evidently caused by an electrical short in a TV set. It happened when I wasn't home. I came home the next day only to find out, the only things left I owned in the world was the clothes on my back, my car, and a pile of coal that was once my house.

I know what your going through, but can only imagine with a whole family. You'll get through it.

----

Other advise, photograph all of your valuables. It's very hard to remember them all after the fact. Photograph important documents as well and maintain backups. It's easy to do now with digital photography.

mailman
11-05-2013, 03:16 AM
Alex, I'm so glad to hear that you and yours are safe and sound! Sorry about the poor kitten, and the damage done to your home. It's good to see you back....