PDA

View Full Version : Tampa Bay Ukulele Club Does it Again

PhilUSAFRet
11-04-2013, 04:12 AM
Just got back from the Tampa Bay Ukukule Clubs annual Fall getaway. Wow, this club is a class act. The event was in a great venue, in a location convenient to nearby expressways, and was organized and run by a large crew of dedicated club members. This year's session leaders included Jim D'Ville, Craig Chee, Julia Nunes, Sarah Maisel, Uncle Elvis, Julie Austin, Steve and Amanda Boisen, Julie Austin, and a super, new TBUC performing artist, Jay Nunes and his new band, the Jukes. The food was great, the people fantastic, and the performers loved it as much as we did. I wouldn't consider missing one. To those who were there, can I get an AMEN?

Nickie
11-04-2013, 12:09 PM
Yeah, it was awesome! And I met Freeda, a regular contributor here. Mim was there, too, and Mike from Uke REpublic. The talent was 1st rate! Jay Nunes band names is the Jukes, though...and they are good!

sukie
11-04-2013, 12:28 PM
It was a great festival! I loved it being all (classes, concerts, food and lodging) in one place. The entertainers were great. The workshops were good. Craig Chee had a great class. One part of it -- 8 beats that sound insanely complicated -- was a real highlight. I am a HUGE Craig Chee fan. I know this will sound weird, but that technique was worth the whole price for me. Well, and his performance. And everybody else's. And I met a bunch of new friends. And saw some dear friends I already had. gee, it was a terrific weekend.

PhilUSAFRet
11-04-2013, 12:47 PM
Yeah, it was awesome! And I met Freeda, a regular contributor here. Mim was there, too, and Mike from Uke REpublic. The talent was 1st rate! Jay Nunes band names is the Jukes, though...and they are good! - :old: - Thanks, my hearing is as bad as I thought it was. I guess that's the reason that half the time, I couldn't tell which chord they were calling out....was that a G7, C7, or a D7????? LOL

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
11-04-2013, 02:05 PM
It was a great festival! I loved it being all (classes, concerts, food and lodging) in one place. The entertainers were great. The workshops were good. Craig Chee had a great class. One part of it -- 8 beats that sound insanely complicated -- was a real highlight. I am a HUGE Craig Chee fan. I know this will sound weird, but that technique was worth the whole price for me. Well, and his performance. And everybody else's. And I met a bunch of new friends. And saw some dear friends I already had. gee, it was a terrific weekend.

Wow, I hope you got an award for "Furthest Traveled"!

HBolte
11-04-2013, 02:30 PM
I am looking forward to attending one of the festivals, they sound like a lot of fun!

sukie
11-04-2013, 02:46 PM

Nope! Kim came from New Mexico!

Totally worth it.

Mandalyn
11-04-2013, 02:53 PM
Great festival! I did not think it was possible, but I had more fun than I did last year! I learned so much and got in a lot of jamming. The concerts were fantastic! I hope I can make back next year! :D

bunnyf
11-04-2013, 03:04 PM
Great event, great workshops (wish I could have caught all the optional ones). For me the highlight was Sarah Maisel's workshop, Moving Up the Fretboard. She inspired me with her story on how in the beginning, each week she tried to replace one of her common first position chords with a new higher one and little by little she was able to work her way up..seems a doable approach. Jim D'Ville's workshop on ear training really was an ah-ha moment for me. I'd been working on theory and understanding chord progressions but his technique helped me to go beyond just knowing what are the common progressions. You begin to understanding the feeling each position projects, so between the two bits of info, you can often anticipate the next chord (very helpful). A wonderful time, wish I could have stayed up for the late jams, but I was a lightweight, maybe next year.

flyingace
11-04-2013, 05:30 PM
that all sounds really great! How do you find out about thing like this in enough advance to make plans? When do they normally post dates? Would love to cruise down in the RV and have a great time in Tampa!

jimdville
11-04-2013, 05:38 PM
Thank you!!! Jiim

itsme
11-04-2013, 05:44 PM
So, where are the pics and videos? :p

sukie
11-04-2013, 05:45 PM
that all sounds really great! How do you find out about thing like this in enough advance to make plans? When do they normally post dates? Would love to cruise down in the RV and have a great time in Tampa!

Keep an eye on the forums. Especially the regional get together section. A lot of ukulele festivals are yearly events and are held usually at the same time of year. Threads are always posted.

Sarah Maisel
11-06-2013, 03:48 AM
Thanks y'all! This festival was SO much fun. I feel so lucky to have been a part of it. Thank you all for making it so special.

Mim
11-06-2013, 03:25 PM
I. Had. So. Much. Fun!

Fun to see old friends!
Fun to meet new friends!
Fun to Jam!
Fun to work on some ukuleles!
(Figuring out buzz issues is my fun, and I had some fun ukes to tinker with)
Fun to sell some ukuleles!
Fun to see the concerts!
Fun to feel the warm breeze hit me every time the door was opened!
Fun for my booth to feel like a hang out spot between work shops!
Fun to bring Mr. Mim along!
Great organization!
Great venue!
Great performers!
Great charity raffle!
Great workshops!
Great performances!
Highlights:
All the performances I was able to catch!
Jamming until 4am pre-daylight savings time Saturday night!
First seeing Craig Chee coming around the corner and yelling "CRAIG CHEE IS HERE!"
Fixing Julia Nunes uke! Because though the pickup coming out was not funny, the process of putting it back together was somewhat hilarious! Amazing what a cell phone light, an couple extra pair of hands, and a fret file being used for something other than filing frets can do!

The verdict: FUN!

I am just starting to get my voice back. Somewhat. It still might take a few days!

jimdville
11-06-2013, 04:52 PM
Great hanging out with you Mim!!!

Mim
11-07-2013, 02:04 AM
Great hanging out with you Mim!!!

Likewise!

I feel like I have a ton new uke friends now! You included!

Craig Chee
11-07-2013, 07:10 AM
What a fun weekend!!! I loved how central everything was and how we got to just hang out with everyone. It was as an incredible time indeed.

Here are some of the photos I took throughout, enjoy :)
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.249952141825231.1073741831.232803736873405&type=1&l=0c900167e4

UncleElvis
11-07-2013, 01:38 PM

I think Craig and Sarah won that, seeing as they were coming from your place! *grin*

UncleElvis
11-07-2013, 01:45 PM
I don't have words for how amazing this weekend was.
I'm still coming down off the high created by the love, acceptance and joy offered to my wife and me from pretty much everyone there.
An amazing group of people, across the board: The organizers are fantastic folks, working hard hard hard to make magic happen; the vendors, always smiling, always friendly, always ready to talk about their stuff... or just whatever... great folks; the entertainers, every one of which seemed to go out of their way to make a newcomer to the scene feel not only welcome but equal. The validation was incredible and has filled me with drive and determination to do better; and, finally, the participants. Wow. What a phenomenal group of people. Everyone playing, singing, learning, smiling, laughing, making music and happiness.

I loved it. I love y'all.
I have a whole load of new best friends in the world.

Nickie
11-07-2013, 04:18 PM
Mike, you're my new best friend!!!

I'm still coming down off the high created by the love, acceptance and joy offered to my wife and me from pretty much everyone there.
An amazing group of people, across the board: The organizers are fantastic folks, working hard hard hard to make magic happen; the vendors, always smiling, always friendly, always ready to talk about their stuff... or just whatever... great folks; the entertainers, every one of which seemed to go out of their way to make a newcomer to the scene feel not only welcome but equal. The validation was incredible and has filled me with drive and determination to do better; and, finally, the participants. Wow. What a phenomenal group of people. Everyone playing, singing, learning, smiling, laughing, making music and happiness.

UncleElvis
11-07-2013, 04:23 PM
Mike, you're my new best friend!!!
You know it!

JT_Ukes
11-07-2013, 04:29 PM

Hi! TBUG is always the first weekend in November, with tickets going on sale early summer... :) the sell out fast!

Head over to www.tampabayukulele.com to get you name on our e-mail list to be notified when they do go on sale.

JT

mooney
11-07-2013, 05:45 PM

Good Times, Good Friends & Music for sure, nice meeting you Mike, looking forward to more of your music and a second CD or online download ;-)

One question, I walked in late at he end of a group jam session you were leading just before the big raffle. Wondering if you could share what you were teaching everyone to play. I'd love to hear it again if you don't mind sharing :-)

mahalo nui loa,

Mooney

Jiva
11-08-2013, 01:15 AM
I had a great time...workshops were so much fun. All the vendors were so cool with all their wares. Mim, you rock!!
Uncle Elvis, you are my new best friend. Jim DeVille, you are my new "ukulele teacher, new best friend". (no offense to Jay Nunes...you are my eternal "ukulele teacher"). Craig and Sarah, I love you both. Sailor Jim (Mike), I will always treasure my new kazoo gift from you! Sideways Eight, your ukes are sooo nice...love the camphor. Donna LoPrinzi, your ukes make me swoon. Julia Nunes, it was interesting to hear your story and I love your lyrics. Steve Boisen and all the volunteers,thank you for all you did to make a great weekend. Amanda, your talent is amazing. Jay, you are the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JT, you are cool. Good to see all my ukulele friends too. Sorry if I am forgetting anyone. Love, love, love, to you all and may your ukuleles always need new strings cause you play too much!!!

Sarah Maisel
11-08-2013, 05:01 AM
I think Craig and Sarah won that, seeing as they were coming from your place! *grin*

I guess that is true- we did come from Hawaii..... :) Next stop Bermuda! We will have so much fun together- even if Craig is in the Bahamas.

I do have to say that this festival is in my top 3. Everyone was so friendly and willing to share. It makes me love the ukulele even more- it connects so many happy people.

JT_Ukes
11-08-2013, 06:37 AM
I guess that is true- we did come from Hawaii..... :) Next stop Bermuda! We will have so much fun together- even if Craig is in the Bahamas.

I do have to say that this festival is in my top 3. Everyone was so friendly and willing to share. It makes me love the ukulele even more- it connects so many happy people.

Where the hell is the like button?

HBolte
11-08-2013, 06:39 AM
We want video!!!!!

Osprey
11-08-2013, 07:52 AM
Yes! Someone post some video

UncleElvis
11-08-2013, 08:02 AM
Good Times, Good Friends & Music for sure, nice meeting you Mike, looking forward to more of your music and a second CD or online download ;-)

One question, I walked in late at he end of a group jam session you were leading just before the big raffle. Wondering if you could share what you were teaching everyone to play. I'd love to hear it again if you don't mind sharing :-)

mahalo nui loa,

Mooney

I don't mind at all! It was "Sexy And I Know It" by LMFAO. Two chords and some stops. Easy peasy, and it makes people smile.

I'm SO inspired by last weekend. I've got a million ideas for songs in my brain, eager to work their way out.

UncleElvis
11-08-2013, 08:02 AM

Ha! You know it! We don't need him!

Uke Republic
11-09-2013, 07:52 AM
TBUG just gets better every year! 2012 was incredible and I thought how can 2013 stand up to that but WOW!!!! /It did! The quality of performers was top O' the line. Great classes from them to boot. Then after all that they come out and jam late into the night with us. Thanks Jim D'Ville, Sarah Maisel , Craig Chee, Uncle Elvis, Amanda, Steve Boisen, Julie Austin , Jay Nunes and well everyone that participated, attended , shared a laugh, song. Oh well,ya get it :) I love the crowd at TBUG! Looking forward to the 5 year anniversary of this event in 2014 and seeing all my friends.
I have a load of pics on my FB here https://www.facebook.com/pages/UKE-Republic/255643082149?ref=hl