UU+

philrab66

Reaction score
Hi all
Been thinking about signing up for UU+ for a while. Does it start right from the basics then gradually build up from there. The reason I ask is I am stuck in a rut have learnt the usual chords but not ventured any further. I have watched a lot of Aldrines how to play videos and find them very difficult, chords I do not know or very complicated strumming patterns. I need something with easier things to accomplish then go onto harder things not just try to jump straight in with the harder stuff.
Thanks Phil.

Hi all
Been thinking about signing up for UU+ for a while. Does it start right from the basics then gradually build up from there. The reason I ask is I am stuck in a rut have learnt the usual chords but not ventured any further. I have watched a lot of Aldrines how to play videos and find them very difficult, chords I do not know or very complicated strumming patterns. I need something with easier things to accomplish then go onto harder things not just try to jump straight in with the harder stuff.
Thanks Phil.
I joined yesterday. There is tons of helpful tutorials and they have just started today practice sessions to help you develop your playing skills. The tutorials cover ALL levels so there really is something for everyone. I'd recommend it. I'm finding it really helpful already.

Sign up for a year. The videos are well categorized, and yes, they go in order, basic to master class.

Hi Phil,

Big fan of UU+.
All the videos are available, and if you want you can watch them in any order you want.
There are different sections in UU+:

You have all the UUU (Ukulele Underground University) starting from 101, then 102 up to 103. UUU 101 is for beginners, the first video explains the history of the ukulele, how to strum, and a few basic chords. Gradually, the course intensifies, so you learn more difficult chords and techniques. But since the learning is gradual, you're never lost.
Aldrine takes more time than in the Uke Minutes to explain the techniques, and the courses are well thought and you will progress.

You also have Music Theory. As I said, you choose what you want to watch, so if this doesn't interest you, just skip it. Personally, I loved the Music Theory section, and wished they would do a Music Theory 102. In this section you'll learn how and why a chord has the shape it has, what inverted chords are, standard music notation, scales, triads, etc... This is one of the rare places where you'll find music theory "adapted" to the ukulele.

There is a section of Blues and another of Hawaiian 101 music (will there be a Hawaiian 102?). I haven't yet gone into those thoroughly though... :eek:

You then have Master Classes, presented by really good and known ukulele players. Each of them teach some techniques and ways to improve. Also, really interesting.

There's a small section called Seminars, where Aldrine lectures on how to figure out songs on the ukulele, what to look for when wanting to buy an ukulele and how to strum anything.

Finally, there the newest section, called UU Practice Sessions. These have just come out, but they seem really great and UU staff promises improvement. You'll improve in your dexterity, strumming, picking etc...

You can choose to sing up for UU+ on a monthly basis or for a year. You can unsubscribe whenever you want.

If your stuck, I highly encourage you to sign up; at least try UU+ for a month, see if you like it, if you improve...
I find that UU+ is a gold mine of information, helpful videos, tips, lessons... I'm a HUGE fan!!!!!!

You could start out with UUU 101 and the UU Practice Sessions...

Also, there's a dedicated forum to UU+ members.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate!!!

Here's another option (TrueFire Marcy Marxer) that might help you out of your rut. I signed up for free for one month. The whole course is $20 to download. There are about a dozen trial videos that you don't even need to sign up for (see link below). Says it's "for guitar players" but I've never picked one up. There are a lot of chord progression drills F Bb C7, E A B7, B E F#7, etc. And I learned some cool strums- reggae etc.

What I REALLY like about these videos is you can set any segment up as a loop and practice over and over.

The range of info presented is no where near as broad as UU+ and I'll probably go there next. Did I mention I REALLY like the looping function? Wish UU had that!

http://truefire.com/tftv/index.html...le=mp4:ukulele-guitar-players-videos/mmufg-01

I joined yesterday. There is tons of helpful tutorials and they have just started today practice sessions to help you develop your playing skills. The tutorials cover ALL levels so there really is something for everyone. I'd recommend it. I'm finding it really helpful already.

Me too! Hoping to build enough skill and courage to play along with the seasonistas contests one day :). The content is much broader than the uke minutes. Haven't got the downloads working yet, if I can get that going il be watching during my train commute.

Me too! Hoping to build enough skill and courage to play along with the seasonistas contests one day :). The content is much broader than the uke minutes. Haven't got the downloads working yet, if I can get that going il be watching during my train commute.
Time to dip you toe into the seasons. You won't regret it. Its great practice because you tackle songs you'd never normally dream of doing and I found it has probably been the biggest help in my humble development.

Hi Phil,

Big fan of UU+.
All the videos are available, and if you want you can watch them in any order you want.
There are different sections in UU+:

You have all the UUU (Ukulele Underground University) starting from 101, then 102 up to 103. UUU 101 is for beginners, the first video explains the history of the ukulele, how to strum, and a few basic chords. Gradually, the course intensifies, so you learn more difficult chords and techniques. But since the learning is gradual, you're never lost.
Aldrine takes more time than in the Uke Minutes to explain the techniques, and the courses are well thought and you will progress.

You also have Music Theory. As I said, you choose what you want to watch, so if this doesn't interest you, just skip it. Personally, I loved the Music Theory section, and wished they would do a Music Theory 102. In this section you'll learn how and why a chord has the shape it has, what inverted chords are, standard music notation, scales, triads, etc... This is one of the rare places where you'll find music theory "adapted" to the ukulele.

There is a section of Blues and another of Hawaiian 101 music (will there be a Hawaiian 102?). I haven't yet gone into those thoroughly though... :eek:

You then have Master Classes, presented by really good and known ukulele players. Each of them teach some techniques and ways to improve. Also, really interesting.

There's a small section called Seminars, where Aldrine lectures on how to figure out songs on the ukulele, what to look for when wanting to buy an ukulele and how to strum anything.

Finally, there the newest section, called UU Practice Sessions. These have just come out, but they seem really great and UU staff promises improvement. You'll improve in your dexterity, strumming, picking etc...

You can choose to sing up for UU+ on a monthly basis or for a year. You can unsubscribe whenever you want.

If your stuck, I highly encourage you to sign up; at least try UU+ for a month, see if you like it, if you improve...
I find that UU+ is a gold mine of information, helpful videos, tips, lessons... I'm a HUGE fan!!!!!!

You could start out with UUU 101 and the UU Practice Sessions...

Also, there's a dedicated forum to UU+ members.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate!!!

Wow thanks Tainauke that was what I was hoping to hear very comprehensive. Will sign up tonight. Thanks for typing all that out. And thank you for everybody else's comments very encouraging.
Phil.

Hi Joined last night seems really good got to week 4 I am treating it as I have just started Uke. In reality 3 years I think. I was chunking with the palm of my hand so learnt something useful already.
I have a question is it worth dabbling into the new practice sessions or should I go through the 101, 102 etc first. I have a fair amount of time to study but I do not want to start trying to do things above my capability just want to go slow

Hi Joined last night seems really good got to week 4 I am treating it as I have just started Uke. In reality 3 years I think. I was chunking with the palm of my hand so learnt something useful already.
I have a question is it worth dabbling into the new practice sessions or should I go through the 101, 102 etc first. I have a fair amount of time to study but I do not want to start trying to do things above my capability just want to go slow
I'm doing both. Finding it really helpful.

You can do both at the same time, using the Practice Sessions as "warm up" and then going on to the UUU classes...
The Practice Session will help out with your dexterity, speed, and agility; all of these will be useful for the UUU classes...
Just have a look at the videos and try them out, because in the end, you're your best judge!

And welcome to UU+!!!! :D

I have been playing for a year and felt stuck..i had done all the beginner courses on UU+ but was unable to do the master classes yet.. Caught in the middle really. The new Practice sessions course was released this week and I love it. I think it would be helpful to know your basic chord progressions before taking it, but not absolutely necessary, as the course is slow enough if you pause it you could learn chords as it goes, but it is a nice advancement course. I like how well it is structured with specific practice tools to help you improve and have a real practice routine. It covers skills for chord switching, strumming, picking basics and increasing speed as well as dexterity excercises.
So far it has been the most helpful online course I have found for where I am currently in my skill. I recommend it highly obviously. :eek:
Rita
Luna tattoo concert
Alulu concert hummingbird
Kala tenor

Hello or Bula!

I am in Fiji and am "bandwidth challenged". Even though we have mobile broadband, there is no way to watch videos in real time. Always must download to watch. As a consequence, we've never signed up for UU+. Is it possible to download content from there? Not trying to rob anything. Just want to watch it in a tolerable fashion--offline.

Can anyone give me input about this? I wrote to the UU guys long ago but never got an answer.

Thanks.

I have been doing the UU+ Practice sessions and love them! They did an excellent job putting them together.

Christie with the I Pad app you can download the videos and watch them later.

I have been doing the UU+ Practice sessions and love them! They did an excellent job putting them together.

Christie with the I Pad app you can download the videos and watch them later.

I completely agree! This is really great! I did the P90X exercise regimen, and this reminds me of that. I have already seen some small improvements in just the first week. And I enjoy it enough I think I will stick with it.

I completely agree! This is really great! I did the P90X exercise regimen, and this reminds me of that. I have already seen some small improvements in just the first week. And I enjoy it enough I think I will stick with it.

I like how the lessons are short. A lot of the details are new to me (worms, stairs, skips etc) so I can pause to practice then when I'm done I go through the whole thing again. It is getting easier. It's also good incentive to practice very day and not skip. Reminds me of the exercises I did on my trumpet when I was a kid. In a good way!

The UU+ is great! Last year or so, I learned a lot from the Intermediate videos, and after a long break I returned and just finished the Theory 101 and am currently learning 'How to Figure Out Songs'.
UU+ is great! And paying a little back to the place that has taught me so much is nice too.

Thanks Bumgardner. We don't own an iPad. We do have an Android phone--very tiny screen. Does anyone know if there is a way to watch downloaded UU+ stuff offline on a Windows 7 machine?

Top Bottom