Kamoa Evolve 700 Steel String Electric Tenor - Not Your Typical Sale

grendel1972

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm looking to sell my Kamoa Evolve 700 Tenor. This is a steel string electric tenor uke and was the proposed upgraded model to the E3. As far as I know, Kamoa never went into production of this model, but I purchased this prototype from another UUer (see this link for more info and a video).

There is not a lot of info out there on these ukes, but it's a 16" scale, dual Seymour Duncan humbucker pickups, tiger maple (I think) with some nice aesthetic touches that aren't present in the standard E3 model. It's a super fun electric uke, and as a result I decided to upgrade and purchased a custom baritone electric from Jon Mann at manndolins.com. So now the Kamoa needs to go on to someone that will play it.

Bad news first: (i) it's developed a buzz on the fourth string when playing on the first few frets. It goes away as you go up the fingerboard. I *think* some fret work would do the trick, as there does not appear to be any neck issues, but I just don't know what it's going to take to fix; and (ii) one of the pickups (the bridge pickup) is not working (neck pickup is working just fine).

Neither of these issues were there when I first bought the uke, and have developed recently. Not sure why, but there it is.

So, here's the good news: because I do not want to put any money into this uke and I have no idea how to price it in its current condition, I'm going to offer it as follows:

1. The price of this uke is the actual price of shipping plus whatever you think it's worth once you've received it and figured out what needs to be done to fix it. Yep, that's it. If you think it's not worth anything more than what it cost to ship, then our transaction is done, and I'll be good. If it's an easy fix and you think it's worth something, you send me what you think is fair. No hard feelings from me however you decide.

2. Because this is not your typical transaction, this is not being sold to the first person to PM me. Preference will go to UUers who have a history of providing helpful posts and guidance to other UUers. Please PM me if you're interested.

That's really it. I won't make a big announcement as to who has purchased the uke, as that's the business of the buyer, but I'll close the thread once a decision has been made.

Oh, and I've read the marketplace rules. This does not violate any of the *rules*. I've also touched base with one of the moderators just to make sure it's okay, even if it's technically within the rules and received a positive response to that inquiry.

Thanks everyone.

photo.jpgphoto_1.jpgphoto_6.jpgphoto_2.jpgphoto_4.jpg

Sounds like a great plan. Wonderful show of Aloha. I'm certain some UU'r with luthier skills can do wonders with this Uke. That isn't me for sure.

Last edited:
I would jump on it, but as you see, I have an E3 already. I'm in a similar situation - looking to upgrade. I am building my own, but those Mann instruments look and sound great.

Yeah, the Mann is something else. Just a dream to play and very versatile sound-wise. Jon Mann was great to work with as well.

I would jump on it, but as you see, I have an E3 already. I'm in a similar situation - looking to upgrade. I am building my own, but those Mann instruments look and sound great.

Can I play it like a nylon string uke or does it have to be played with a pick? Might want to try it but I like to play with the tips of my fingers. Hope it goes well with your "sale"

Can I play it like a nylon string uke or does it have to be played with a pick? Might want to try it but I like to play with the tips of my fingers. Hope it goes well with your "sale"

It can be done, but I wouldn't recommend it.

what a beauty, i still have your E3 you sent me. that coffee color is so awesome. only if i wasn't looking for a baritone ukulele at the moment.

Thanks, glad you're enjoying that! The color is a little more green than the pictures may present (check out the link, I think the color is a little better on that photo and video) but I still think it's a stunning looking uke.

what a beauty, i still have your E3 you sent me. that coffee color is so awesome. only if i wasn't looking for a baritone ukulele at the moment.

Sounds like a great plan. Wonderful show of Aloha. I'm certain some UU'r with luthier skills can do wonders with this Uke. That isn't me for sure.

+1

"Not your typical sale" is right. And I like your idea to find a deserving new home. I hope we get to hear what becomes of it.

Thanks, I've got some amazing UUers who have PM'd me, so the problem now it going to be how to decide. Some sort of dice rolling and coin flipping may be in order. Not a bad problem to have, all things considered. :)

+1

"Not your typical sale" is right. And I like your idea to find a deserving new home. I hope we get to hear what becomes of it.

What an absolutely gorgeous instrument and it's certainly something I would love to own, but I don't think I'd be even vaguely in with a chance. Got to say it's a superb offer from you Grendel - much respect for you!

Good luck to all who put themselves forward and I'm sure it'll find a deserving home soon! :D

Drumroll please....

First, I want to thank all of those that showed an interest in this uke. There are so many incredible UUers on these boards that have given their time and knowledge to make this the amazing community it is. I was, frankly, overwhelmed by how awesome everyone was and how it was clear that there were multiple folks that would bring this uke back to life and give it a great home. Overwhelmed, but in a good way. :D

So, I have decided to go a different route with this uke than I originally anticipated. One of the UUers that contacted me did so in connection with a charity he has founded that teaches kids (through a partnership with another charity) in low-income schools how to play the uke. He thought it would be a great uke to get some of the older kids interested, but was upfront about how he would need to get donations to get it repaired, and understood it may not fit into my plan.

I really can't think of a better destination for this electric uke than being used to get kids into music, so I've decided to donate it to the charity and provide a little money to get it fixed up. I feel like I was blessed to have music in my life as a child and this seems like a very small way to try and pass that along.

Working out the logistics with the charity now, but wanted to let everyone know how this little experiment ended. Just another example of things not turning out the way you expect, and being better for it.

Terrific conclusion to a fascinating offer and response! Makes us feel good to be part of this UU community! Thanks!

Very, very cool! Doing anything that helps kids get into and enjoy making music is a big entry on the plus side of the ledger.

Yes, Bravo! One of the reasons I have a music room set up in my house is for our kids and their friends complete with PA, drums and mics. I also will fix/set up any of their instruments. My 15 yr old daughter plays multiple instruments as do I. So I can understand you decision, you made a great one! Mahalo!

What a great gesture! Ukulele players really are a giving, warm-hearted, evolved bunch. I am so honored to amongst this ever growing global community.
In the midst of the chaos in the world, these little moments are precious and much needed. Playing it forward one strum at a time!!!

This is one of the best threads I have read in a long time!

Top Bottom