NUD - Kinnard Tenor - Cedar /Walnut

cigarfan

Reaction score
As you may know, I commissioned a tenor ukulele from KinnardUkes.com back in September. Well, I'm happy to report the NUD was yesterday.

If you missed it, the build thread is here.

This little uke is drop dead gorgeous! No other way to say it. The fit and finish are perfect! I'm a pretty picky guy when it comes to aesthetics and I can't find a corner or join that isn't just right. And the sound ... oh my! Many of you enjoy the cedar/walnut combination on guitars. Well this little thing is right there. Usually a brand new instrument needs some time to loosen up. This one sure sounds really good right out of the gate. Warm and melodic with fantastic intonation all the way up along with some excellent sustain for a uke. Here is a sound sample Kevin Beddoe of KinnardUkes.com recorded within 24 hours of stringing it up from the first time.

And it is built lightly weighing in at 22.7 ounces (less that 1.5 lbs). You can balance it on one finger.

I have included some pictures below that I took (to prove I really have it) but there are some much better glamour shots that Kevin took here.

Kinnard Series 3 Tenor Ukulele
Western Red Cedar top
Walnut back, sides and neck
Curly Koa binding (body, neck and headstock)
Ebony fretboard, bridge and headplate
13 frets to the body
Paua Abalone rosette and purfling (top, back and headstock)
Slotted headstock with Gotoh tuners

DSCN2911.JPG
DSCN2914.JPG

DSCN2917.JPG

DSCN2916.JPG

Congratulations Dennis and welcome to the family. She is a beauty. Time to celebrate with a nice Bolivar robusto and a glass of Balvenie eh?

What a beauty!!!

Congratulations on your new stunning tenor!

Definitely a real show stopper! Congrats! Know you're going to enjoy it!
Randy

Congrats Dennis...she looks like a stunner... I see you got a free shirt too...Happy Strummings..

Congrats! That is an awesome uke. The sound sample is excellent.

Wow! The only word I could say is "wow" when looking at those pictures. Been reading the build thread. Congratulations to the beautiful ukulele. Nice details and simple.

Last edited:
Dennis, congratulations brother. The pride and joy of you owning this little beauty are clearly evident in the photo of you both!
Stunningly beautiful looks and sound in your ukulele!

Congratulations Dennis! The spruce, walnut and Paua look so good together. I really like your diamond snowflake markers, too. Looking at your tenor, it does seem like 13-frets to the body does have the bridge well centered in the lower bout at the sweet spot.

It might be hard for folks to appreciate how perfectly constructed John's instrument are, unless they have seen and played one. But I have played 3 different ones, each one was perfection, truly amazing.

It is wonderful how good it sounds, just strung up. But as hard to believe as it may seem, it will sound even better with some playing.
Thanks for sharing the building process with us. I really enjoyed following its construction.

Congratulations...I know exactly how you feel. Sounds as beautiful as it looks. You definitely got a winner.

Wow! Congrats! how much did this cost you? planning on one getting made for me.. how does it compare to other K-brands? specifically kanilea?

Wow! Congrats! how much did this cost you? planning on one getting made for me.. how does it compare to other K-brands? specifically kanilea?

I've played a couple of Kinnard's Ukuleles when I met Kevin Beddoe at his home back in September. They sound wonderful, especially with the slotted head; that's the way to go if you commission one for you. I have 4 Kamaka ukuleles; soprano, concert, 6 string, & 8 string; Koolau T-100 Tenor; Tenor Compass Rose; Pepe Romero Tenor & Boat Paddle Tenor Kayak. I am also very familiar with the sound of the Kanilea. Ukuleles made on the continent have a slightly different sound than those made in Hawaii. Don't know what it is or why, but it does sound different. Does that mean that one is better than the other? No, you need to get the one that sounds best to you. There are many examples you can find on YouTube. ut you cannot go wrong with a John Kinnard.

Wow! Thanks everyone for all the congratulations. I am having so much fun with this little beauty I haven't had time to check back in here.

I can't believe how mature this uke sounds now. Can't imagine what a few years of playing it may do.

Congratulations Dennis and welcome to the family. She is a beauty. Time to celebrate with a nice Bolivar robusto and a glass of Balvenie eh?

Absolutely! And it was Balvenie TUN to boot.

Hey Tristan. My Kinnard is not a K-brand in the usual sense of the word. And as the good doctor pointed out, they are apples and oranges each with their own voice. I have a Kanile'a Concert that sounds very good. Given I have just received this Kinnard I am really stunned at how warm and full the sound is. I think John is really on to something. You can find his prices here.

That is a might fine looking uke. It has a certain understated elegance to it. Will definitely check out more of his work. Thanks for contributing to all of our UAS!!!

Top Bottom