Ancient Kauri- anyone used it???

Beau Hannam Ukuleles

Reaction score
Anyone used Ancient Kauri on a uke???? good, bad, etc

thanks

Hi, Beau, it's me, Gillian!

My Anakoneke concert ukulele is made from ancient kauri. Top, back and sides are all kauri. I'm sure Toni can give you some input on working with it. It's very pretty wood and sort of shinmmers.

Here's a sample of it just after it arrived. I'm still experimenting with strings, so it is no longer wearing these Fremont Blacks, and it's opened up some as well. I like it. It's not my loudest uke, but it has a lovely, complex tone.

https://soundcloud.com/lazylemur/the-preacher

Last edited:
Thanks everyone- And hello Gillian! :)

I can get a nice sets so ill buy a few and see how it taps then decide if i want to spend a fraction of my life making something with it. Life is tooooo short to use dead wood. Im not sure ill use it for a top wood but i am liking the look of it and that it is so old- history in a nut shell!

We have done 5 of them. Here is a link to the gallery showing them: http://www.myamoeukuleles.com/gallerySearchResults.php?backParent=Ancient Kauri

We have some Kauri that is great for back and sides another board that is straight grain for tops. They all sound and look good, but we like the instruments with a different top wood and Kauri back and sides best.

The Kauri has been a little hard to work with, but that could just be the trouble with getting to know a new species. When you are really used to Koa/Mango/Myrtle/Mahogany and you try something different you can have little surprises happen in the shop!

I have played the Iriguchi Kauri Keystone tenor. Sounded fantastic, rich full tone. Definitely a good sounding top wood. Can't wait to see how yours comes out.

We have done 5 of them. Here is a link to the gallery showing them: http://www.myamoeukuleles.com/gallerySearchResults.php?backParent=Ancient Kauri

We have some Kauri that is great for back and sides another board that is straight grain for tops. They all sound and look good, but we like the instruments with a different top wood and Kauri back and sides best.
The Kauri has been a little hard to work with, but that could just be the trouble with getting to know a new species. When you are really used to Koa/Mango/Myrtle/Mahogany and you try something different you can have little surprises happen in the shop!

I agree wholeheartedly with Aaron. Definitely a challenge. Its really weird (different than anything I've ever worked with before). Kind of spong-y and cardboard-y sounding when you tap-tone it. I was surprised at the final result though. The one I built had a Kauri top also though. If I use it again I will try a softwood top. I would just buy one set and see if you like it. Do not and I repeat...DO NOT...get CA glue any where near the bare wood. Shellac must be applied under any CA. The CA discolors the wood. I learned it the hard way. I did not put shellac in the recess of my inlay and when sanding off I noticed these dark streaks radiating off of the inlay. Had to route the whole thing off and start over. Lesson learned!

Do not and I repeat...DO NOT...get CA glue any where near the bare wood. Shellac must be applied under any CA. The CA discolors the wood. I learned it the hard way. I did not put shellac in the recess of my inlay and when sanding off I noticed these dark streaks radiating off of the inlay. Had to route the whole thing off and start over. Lesson learned!

This happened to me with a port orford cedar top. I had to give it a new rosette AFTER binding it..... I learnt a few new tricks along the way so i was actually happy with the experience

Top Bottom