Gretsch g9100 or a Kala KA-15s

kmac66

Reaction score
Hey folks.

I'm looking for an inexpensive Soprano to use as my "take everywhere" uke. I know there are dozens and dozens to choose from. I already have one of the Dolphins which I’m not really crazy about.

I’ve narrowed it down to the Gretsch g9100 or a Kala KA-15s. The Kala I can buy locally from an independent music store. Since I can play it before I buy it I know what I’m getting. As for the Gretsch I’d order it from HMS since I cant find any place in Los Angeles that carries them.

Between the two, which would you recommend?

Thanks.

My vote is on the Gretsch just for the fact that I almost bought it for my first soprano.

if you choose from a bunch of kalas at the store and you know how to pick a good one, there's your answer I think.

Hey folks.

I'm looking for an inexpensive Soprano to use as my "take everywhere" uke. I know there are dozens and dozens to choose from. I already have one of the Dolphins which I’m not really crazy about.

I’ve narrowed it down to the Gretsch g9100 or a Kala KA-15s. The Kala I can buy locally from an independent music store. Since I can play it before I buy it I know what I’m getting. As for the Gretsch I’d order it from HMS since I cant find any place in Los Angeles that carries them.

Between the two, which would you recommend?

Thanks.

I go with the Gretsch their a step up in quality
I have my eye on a Gretsch resonator concert which is less than 300 bucks an sounds great !

I bought that Kala 15S for my kids a few months ago and have been impressed. No buzzing, the set up seems fine, much lower action than I've seen in some other cheap ukes in the store. Maybe I got lucky, but it's been fine.

Can't comment on the Gretsch.

Although the Gretsch sounds very nice, it has a pretty thick neck, which is not to everyone's liking.

I took Andrew's advice and went with the Gretsch and Gotoh tuners. Now the waiting begins.... :)

Top Bottom