Ukulele players in Japan, can you help me?

I'm not in Japan (but lived there as a kid, and can read Japanese) but I've bought a lot of Japanese ukulele books, especially those arranged by Kiyoshi Kobayashi. And they're pretty good - definitely better than most ukulele books from American publishers that I've encountered in that there is a far greater selection of books with both tab and standard notation, rather than just chords and standard notation. Overall the arrangements are pretty simple and satisfying - nothing too challenging, but not boring.

Rather than ordering from overseas, if you are in the US, I'd recommend ordering through Kinokuniya. In Japanese, ukulele is ウクレレ - enter that in the search box, make sure it's set to Japanese books, and you'll see a lot more than just the Ghibli books. (If it's only the Ghibli books you're looking for, try searching ウクレレ ジブリ) Also check eBay, there are a few sellers in Japan that offer a better deal on shipping than the major retailers do.

Thanks for the info (and the Katakana) Janeray.

I have bookmarked Kinokuniya. Although it looks like Wasabi Sheet Music has very fair prices as long as you are willing to wait for economy shipping.

I'm not in Japan, but I do have this book that I ordered from yesasia.com last year.

http://www.wasabisheetmusic.com/product/145

I like it; it's very good. Challenging and interesting for an advanced beginner like me. Each piece takes up only one page, so the longer pieces are printed smaller and squished more in the page, but I'm still able to read it easily. Some of the pieces have a tip or two with photos on how to position your LH fingers from one chord to another...it's described in Japanese, but easy to figure out with the photos. I would definitely recommend it to ghibli fans.

Top Bottom