PDA

View Full Version : Corey's Album!

AndrewKuker
11-07-2013, 08:34 PM
I am really happy to have been able to bring some amazing musicians into this project for Corey's album that's getting mastered next week!

You guys know Imua Garza? He is one of the most amazing uke players ever and gives tutorials here on UU, BUT, the thing with Imua ... he's ridiculous amazing on pretty much every instrument. We got him to play bass on some of the tracks.

You guys know Kilin Reece? He used to work at Koolau and now runs his own repair shop and sells on ebay sometimes too. (paradise ukulele) Well he plays lap steel on much of the album. Total natural. Eli Oguma, a full time setup tech here at HMS (+Sing the Body) adds drums...

We were done with this album a year ago at another studio and I went to Kelli Cruz at Soul Sound for help. She started over from scratch. No click, no plug ins, all mics, all atmosphere...
one sneak listen for our friends here-
The Mystery - Corey Fujimoto (https://soundcloud.com/kitakis/the-mystery)
A few weeks away... hope people like it

hawaii 50
11-07-2013, 09:16 PM
Haunting...wow

Nice Andrew! great Corey.......

Helms
11-07-2013, 09:19 PM
I am so excited for Coreys album!
From what I've heard so far, it is gonna be one of the best albums I've bought this year!

Are there any EST on the release date, besides a few weeks? :)

mm stan
11-07-2013, 11:44 PM
Sounds Amazing..mahalo plentee Andrew....Corey is a supa star already....:)

teruterubouzu
11-08-2013, 01:25 AM
This is a beautiful track. The lap steel adds a haunting quality that is just lovely. Can't wait for this album to be released!

wayfarer75
11-08-2013, 02:04 AM
Definitely, definitely going to buy it. I really enjoy Corey's playing--I listen to his uke demos for fun. :D

Oh, and I have to add that I prefer the sound of a uke recorded acoustically. It's not that I dislike one that's recorded from a pickup, but sometimes it sounds too "digital" to me.

HBolte
11-08-2013, 02:17 AM
That is wonderful! All the best Corey!!

coolkayaker1
11-08-2013, 04:09 AM
I have listened to Corey's "The Mystery" on youtube (he had two versions) a gazillion times. That track just grabs me. It is mysterious, just like the title. Somehow doesn;t even sound like a ukulele. It's super loooow sounding, but none of that mamby-pamby low G stuff. And, for anyone that has seen it: can this cat stretch his fingers or what! (yep, there's two versions on there now if you search it -- the older one you can see his fingers, for the adventurous who want to try and play it. lol)

Three cheers for Corey F!

alanjang
11-08-2013, 04:44 AM
Can't wait!

urcuzzn
11-08-2013, 10:07 AM
dynooomite!

ChaosToo
11-08-2013, 10:18 AM
Fantastic stuff. I've never bought a uke album before - might have to change all that! :D

Shady Wilbury
11-08-2013, 10:21 AM
Beautiful tone. Definitely going to grab a copy when it's out.

JulianUker
11-08-2013, 08:09 PM
Very nice!

Wicked
11-09-2013, 01:40 AM
Fantastic stuff. I've never bought a uke album before - might have to change all that! :D

I have never bought one either... just a track here or there on iTunes. This may be my first.

What I like about Corey is his grasp of some of the more important aspects of music... Most prominently, his sense of dynamics. There are many players out there that play all the right notes, but the music comes off as uninteresting. This is decidedly not so with Corey.

xyz
11-09-2013, 10:53 PM
Excellent ! Can't wait to hear the other tracks !

Doc_J
11-10-2013, 05:51 AM
I am really happy to have been able to bring some amazing musicians into this project for Corey's album that's getting mastered next week!

You guys know Imua Garza? He is one of the most amazing uke players ever and gives tutorials here on UU, BUT, the thing with Imua ... he's ridiculous amazing on pretty much every instrument. We got him to play bass on some of the tracks.

You guys know Kilin Reece? He used to work at Koolau and now runs his own repair shop and sells on ebay sometimes too. (paradise ukulele) Well he plays lap steel on much of the album. Total natural. Eli Oguma, a full time setup tech here at HMS (+Sing the Body) adds drums...

We were done with this album a year ago at another studio and I went to Kelli Cruz at Soul Sound for help. She started over from scratch. No click, no plug ins, all mics, all atmosphere...
one sneak listen for our friends here-
The Mystery - Corey Fujimoto (https://soundcloud.com/kitakis/the-mystery)
A few weeks away... hope people like it

Awesome. Really enjoyed it.

Please post as soon as the album is available. Hopefully just few more weeks, and in time for the Holidays.

BillM
12-09-2013, 04:02 PM
Has there been any updated news about Corey's album? I know, I know - it has only been a month. :anyone:

Helms
12-10-2013, 05:53 AM
I just wrote Andrew from Hawaii Music Supply yesterday, and asked him if he knew anything about the album.
He gave this very exciting reply!

Corey's album should be out in the next day or two on iTunes. Another week or so with hard copy. Thx!

Looking forward to it! :)

coolkayaker1
12-10-2013, 06:56 PM
I want I want I want!

(for those of you that have no dedicated ukulele albums, with superb offerings from Kalei Gamiao, Brittni Paiva and Taimane Gardner, not to mention Eddie Vedder, all within the last year or two...tsk tsk tsk! How do you sleep at night?)

teruterubouzu
12-11-2013, 02:53 AM
I just wrote Andrew from Hawaii Music Supply yesterday, and asked him if he knew anything about the album.

Great! I hope they put it on Amazon too.

BillM
12-11-2013, 03:04 AM

Helms,

Thank you for the information. This is great news.

Helms
12-14-2013, 02:00 AM
It is finally released! Amazing album!
Available on iTunes.

Hope it sells well. Would be nice to see hear more from Corey!

Five Ways
12-14-2013, 03:21 AM
Hope it finds its way to the UK, really admire Corey's playing.

Shady Wilbury
12-14-2013, 04:20 AM
Don't know how you feel about mp3s, but it's already available on Amazon that way. :)

coolkayaker1
12-14-2013, 06:35 AM
Lots of familiar tracks (The Mystery, Papillon, The Sun Beams, etc.) for those of us that enjoy Corey's work on HMS videos, Vimeo, etc. Sounds great, and I like that album cover with CF in a red dirt pineapple field (the Andrew-Corey hike location photos must not have been selected).

I will buy this, but, I would prefer a CD, if possible (if not, I'll buy the digi-load).

Doc_J
12-14-2013, 06:47 AM
Is this the one?

http://www.amazon.com/Fables-Corey-Fujimoto/dp/B00HAS6VLW/ref=sr_1_1?s=dmusic&ie=UTF8&sr=1-1&keywords=Corey+Fujimoto

Jim Hanks
12-14-2013, 07:03 AM
That's it Hodge!

Also available for listening on rdio:
www.rdio.com/artist/Corey_Fujimoto/album/Fables

Hippie Dribble
12-14-2013, 08:22 AM
This is wonderful news!!!!! Congratulations Corey!!!! Sweet title and cover shot.

kuyakuya
12-14-2013, 08:40 AM
I've been waiting for Corey to make an album ever since I first started watching his ukulele demos on Hawaii Music Supply's site. I just bought it on iTunes.

Tele295
12-14-2013, 09:18 AM
First time I've ever heard of Corey. This certainly warrants further investigation - the steel on this track has a very Cirque du Soliel vibe

Ukulele Eddie
12-14-2013, 09:25 AM
Added to my Christmas list!

Trinimon
12-14-2013, 04:26 PM
Awesome! On the Christmas list for sure! :)

Lexxy
12-14-2013, 08:46 PM
got it :) wonderful music.

alanjang
12-15-2013, 04:26 AM
Got it from iTunes. My favorite uke album of the year.

The Big Kahuna
12-15-2013, 04:31 AM
I was going to wait until Andrew had the hard copies, and have him ship me one, but I can't wait. I'm going to buy the iTunes version in a few minutes.

I'll still be buying the CD version from him as well though.

The Big Kahuna
12-15-2013, 10:31 AM
Ok, like I said, I caved and bought it from The Evil Empire™

I own a metric ****ton of Uke albums, including all of Jake's stuff, and this is my favourite by a huge margin. I think everyone knows by now that if I thought it was sh*t, I'd say so. If you're a ukulele fan who likes music, buy this album.

Hippie Dribble
12-15-2013, 10:37 AM
Andrew, when do you expect to have hard copies for sale mate?

The Big Kahuna
12-15-2013, 10:39 AM
He mentioned next week when I emailed him yesterday. I still intend buying the CD, I just couldn't wait. I needed an antidote to some of the utterly shite ukulele albums I've bought recently.

The Big Kahuna
12-15-2013, 10:41 AM
It'd be nice to be able to download the front, back & inner sleeve though.

Steveperrywriter
12-15-2013, 11:30 AM
I just started listening to it. Primo stuff.

Steve

coolkayaker1
12-15-2013, 01:48 PM
I just started listening to it. Primo stuff.

Steve

Are you the Steve Perry? If so, big fan, PM me. If not, it's all good, too. No PM necessary. lol

Doc_J
12-16-2013, 02:08 AM
Ok, like I said, I caved and bought it from The Evil Empire™

I own a metric ****ton of Uke albums, including all of Jake's stuff, and this is my favourite by a huge margin. I think everyone knows by now that if I thought it was sh*t, I'd say so. If you're a ukulele fan who likes music, buy this album.

Once again, the Big Kahuna is right!

Fables by Corey, I enjoyed every song on it, and that is rare! Well done!

The Big Kahuna
12-16-2013, 03:57 AM
1000 Years is my favourite track, I listened to it on repeat all the way to work this morning. I messaged him on Facebook earlier to pass on my admiration, and to ask what he played it on.

Now I have to go out and buy a frickin' Guitalele! Its about time Pono brought one out I reckon. That'd fit nicely between the Yamaha/Gretsch models, and the Kanile'a GL6.

Steveperrywriter
12-16-2013, 07:07 AM
Are you the Steve Perry? If so, big fan, PM me. If not, it's all good, too. No PM necessary. lol

If you mean the former lead singer of Journey Steve, nah. I get that a lot. I'm a book writer, so my name and his sometimes show up together in places and folks think I'm him.

Steve - Not the Rock Star

The Big Kahuna
12-16-2013, 08:26 AM
That's a shame. Oh well.

Niq - The disappointed Journey fan.

Steveperrywriter
12-16-2013, 01:02 PM
I used to have a whole little comedy routine for folks who asked me if I was Journey Steve: Yeah, that's me. But I'm wearing my old man disguise so nobody will know. Or No, that's not me. I can actually sing. Which was a base canard, 'cause Journey Steve had some serious pipes. The name is fairly common: There is another rock band singer (The Cherry Poppin' Daddies), a movie producer, another book writer, and a guy who used to write for the cartoon series Thundercats. (I once wrote for Batman: The Animated Show, so we got conflated.) That Steve got murdered and dismembered a couple years back, and I got some interesting email from folks asking if I were dead.

Also a used car salesman locally. I didn't like getting his calls at all …

Steve

Aaron@Randees
12-17-2013, 08:04 AM
I'm holding out for the physical copy also. I'll buy albums from itunes now and then, but I prefer something I can hold and read liner notes :)

Dan Uke
12-30-2013, 08:09 PM
When does the CD come out?

coolkayaker1
12-31-2013, 01:59 AM
Funny, Steve. You have a great sense of humor. Something Journey's version of you never had. Loll.
I used to have a whole little comedy routine for folks who asked me if I was Journey Steve: Yeah, that's me. But I'm wearing my old man disguise so nobody will know. Or No, that's not me. I can actually sing. Which was a base canard, 'cause Journey Steve had some serious pipes. The name is fairly common: There is another rock band singer (The Cherry Poppin' Daddies), a movie producer, another book writer, and a guy who used to write for the cartoon series Thundercats. (I once wrote for Batman: The Animated Show, so we got conflated.) That Steve got murdered and dismembered a couple years back, and I got some interesting email from folks asking if I were dead.

Also a used car salesman locally. I didn't like getting his calls at all …

Steve

coolkayaker1
12-31-2013, 02:41 AM
When does the CD come out?
I agree, Andrew, when's the hard copy out please?

Zoë Bestel
12-31-2013, 03:06 AM
Wow! That sounds amazing.
I love this side of music, the ukulele the main instrument and all the other accompanying instruments do just that, complimenting the uke.
Yes, that is lovely. Very much looking forward to hearing the album!
Wish I could be so technical and beautiful sounding with my ukes... ha!

wayfarer75
12-31-2013, 04:42 AM
I agree, Andrew, when's the hard copy out please?

Yes, people want to know! I'd rather buy the CD than a digital copy, but I may get too impatient.

hawaii 50
12-31-2013, 10:41 PM
Corey's CD is out today...get it at the Haleiwa store now....on the Ukulele Site soon!

Dan Uke
01-01-2014, 06:25 AM
Corey's CD is out today...get it at the Haleiwa store now....on the Ukulele Site soon!

Hey Len, Happy New Year. Andrew told me the CDs will be on the site by end of the week! Can't wait.

hawaii 50
01-01-2014, 06:42 AM
Hey Len, Happy New Year. Andrew told me the CDs will be on the site by end of the week! Can't wait.

Happy New Year Daniel, to you and your family....

PM me your address and I will send you a signed copy of Corey's CD....
pretty sure I promised you one a while back.....

JamieWG
01-01-2014, 08:21 AM
I just went and listened to sound samples on Amazon. I love his playing of course. The addition of cello on Papillon is absolutely gorgeous. I'm going to wait for the CD to come out so I can get both at once, since I'm going to want to be able to listen to it all the time!

wayfarer75
01-02-2014, 02:57 AM
The CDs are on HMS's website: http://www.theukulelesite.com/corey-fujimoto-fables-new-studio-album.html
I just put my order in.