Christmas Family and Friends gatherings - What do you play?

UkeyDave

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
This year will be my first time taking my Uke along to a family get together at Christmas.
My question is this:
What do you play at these family/friends get togethers that get people joining in the singing.
I'd be interested to gather some more ideas and hear what UU underground members have most fun playing at get togethers.

Hi Folks,
This year will be my first time taking my Uke along to a family get together at Christmas.
My question is this:
What do you play at these family/friends get togethers that get people joining in the singing.
I'd be interested to gather some more ideas and hear what UU underground members have most fun playing at get togethers.

Mmmm ok - it seems like no one plays Uke at family gatherings. Oh well, thought it worth a try. :deadhorse:

I have a few sheets of my favorite Christmas carols with words and chords that I pass out. most people will sing if they have the words in front of them and it's a familiar tune.

Usually I play classical guitar which puts everyone to sleep.

This year I will be bringing a few Ukes and my new Ubass (on the way)

Tunes to play, songs that everyone knows..

Hotel California,
Those were the days my friend
What's up? (from 4 non blondes)
Dust in the Wind
Fly me to the moon
Crazy
Lots of xmas carols...

Santa Clause is Coming to Town, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, Jingle Bells, Twelve Days of Christmas, Deck the Halls, Sleigh Ride, Feliz Navidad, Jingle Bell Rock, Joy to the World, Silent Night.

I bring my uke to every family gatherings and so does my 13 year old cousin. We don't play for them though. We find a place to sneak off to and jam together.

I work with pre-k and school aged kids at work. Up On the Housetop, Jingle Bells, and Rudolph are the three most popular songs with them.

Thanks folks for some wonderful suggestions and advice. I love the help you get on this site. Thanks again.

Jingle Bell Rock

I wish there were more music lovers in my family, especially at the holidays. I'm afraid that without some serious imbibing, I'm the only one that would enjoy a uke jam with sing-along. I guess that is the big advantage of finding a local uke group - finding others with the same campy outlook on life. I usually save the holiday enthusiasm until after Thanksgiving, but this year I've started early due to the crispness of fall in the air. I found myself singing Jingle Bell Rock in the shower this morning, so I sought out a quick and easy chorded version. After a few minutes with Ukulele Mike on YouTube, I can now get my Jingle Bell Rock on.

Top Bottom