Video .. Fitting an arch back to a soprano

Timbuck

Reaction score
This is the last ukulele building video for a while, Co's i've other jobs to do around the house before winter sets in..and I got a few ukes to make for Xmas....I hope you enjoy this one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgSaTilURn8

It appears you install the soundboard before the back. I do just the opposite so that I can clean up excess glue that would been seen through the sound hole. (Maybe I should be more careful with squeeze out.) What is your reasoning for your order of assembly? Thanks for sharing.

I do backs first as well. If tops first. It all depends on one/s construction process. If I did a spanish style heel wih the sides let in ,Top first. might do one on a tenor that has a vy round top end at the heel. that would make sense.

Maybe I could put the back on first...but it would make setting the neck angle tricky, and there is the soundboard/neck step to contend with as I like to construct with the neck in position in the dovetail ...If it was a bolt on, it wouldn't be a problem...But my method is more like the Spanish heel assembly....Altho in the past I've assembled them with all sorts of other different methods..even try'd the 1900's method with internal mold and sisal/string for clamping.

Your processes are simply amazing, as the outcome of them proves!

Top Bottom