Guitar Center's employess are bit uninformed (NUD Content)

Captain Simian

Reaction score
Post Deleted

Last edited:
beautiful looking gear. I am surprised at his arrogance. Especially considering the reason he is working retail is because he is willing to work a slave wage and not because of his skill(assuming he wasn't the luthier which I doubt since he didn't even recognize it as a ukulele and not a guitar).

Great story! Good to hear the flea finally found a home. I'm sure the lady is happy seeing it is going to someone who will appreciate it after an experience like that.

Hope you two make much good music together.

Right place, right time. Love it when that happens.

Nice lookin' Flea. Congrats!

That's shocking behavior. He should give the job to me ;)

Stopped by GC today to just see what they have and get some strings. While I was there a woman was trying to sell them a Flea Tiki King uke. I looked over and told her it was a nice uke. She told me she bought it for her husband years ago because he wanted to learn and in the long run it just sat in their closet for 7 years. Finally one of the kids goes to look at it. She then tells her, "Ma'am, this is obviously a custom made mini guitar. It's going to be impossible to figure out a price for it or if we can even sell it so we're going to pass on it." At this point I piped up and told the kid who made it, how much they go for new, and where to look it up. The kid then says, "Sir, I work here because I probably know more about guitars than you that's why I was hired and not you." Wow. So I just laughed at the kid and said OK whatever you say. The woman was shocked that the kid was so rude.

The woman then asks me if I was interested in it. I said yes but that we should go over to Starbucks to discuss it. I felt it was uncool to negotiate in the store even if the employee was obnoxious. We went over, had coffee, made the deal, and hung out for 1/2 an hour.

As for the Flea, it's got a couple of dings and needs new strings but outside of that it's in good shape. Even came with the Fleabag. One more uke is now off my wish list.

IMG_20541_zpsf2727290.jpg

i love the tiki flea want one too :) i just put tiki stickers on 2 of my ukes last night. anyway that employee is an idiot. "custom made guitar". Its sad all those guitar people seem to think everything is guitar-centric. ah well you made out well and in the end you and the lady you bought it from know the guy as GC was a total idiot.

BTW, I didn't mean to insult anyone besides that worker, that just would have been my response to him. sorry if it bothered anyone.

A few years ago I took a business trip to Orange County, California. I stopped by a Guitar Center to see if there were any ukes. There weren't. I asked a sales person, who was probably about 40, why that was. He told me nobody cares about ukuleles.

A few years ago I took a business trip to Orange County, California. I stopped by a Guitar Center to see if there were any ukes. There weren't. I asked a sales person, who was probably about 40, why that was. He told me nobody cares about ukuleles.

They actually have a bunch of ukes there now. I see them when I buy music stands, mic stands,amps,etc.

The Guitar Center closest to me has many ukes for sale. They even have a sizable Lanikai showroom display. The employees there may not know much about ukes, but they at least know what they are. Very courteous people, and try to be helpful.

Last edited:
my guitar center has been pretty helpful and knowledgable. they even have uke classes but i have to admit a limited supply of ukes. maybe someday there will be a Ukulele Center!

The Guitar Center closest to me has many ukes for sale. They even have a sizable Lanikai showroom display. The employees there may not know much about ukes, but they at least know what they are. Very courteous people, and try to be helpful.

different store but at sam ash i bought the martin soprano i used to have there and they guy kept calling it a 'mandolin' and kept trying to play it like a guitar and finally i got made and was like 'here this is how you play!" and started playing post cards from italy song by beirut and tried to explain the chords and he kept trying to play a G open chord like guitar and im like 'uhhh those strings dont exist play a d chord its a g" and thats about as far as it got. The guitar center by me did have a cordoba tenor and concert and some lanikais which was nice.

I would have fired him if he worked for me....there's no excuse for arrogance or ignorance like this....
Congrats on the uke, you just never know....

agreed. I have no tolerance for arrogance. even during my medical training. As with music, in medicine there is always a more knowledgeable person. Humility shows wisdom.

There's a new GC in Southington Conn. and one of the dept. managers is primarily an uke player. He plays very well and knows his stuff. Nice to go in to the store and have a conversation with someone who knows and appreciates the uke. They don't have the greatest selection but they are not going to get rich selling ukes and I understand that.

There's a new GC in Southington Conn. and one of the dept. managers is primarily an uke player. He plays very well and knows his stuff. Nice to go in to the store and have a conversation with someone who knows and appreciates the uke. They don't have the greatest selection but they are not going to get rich selling ukes and I understand that.

Thats pretty cool. Well ukes in the past were more popular than guitar than guitar took over but ukes have been rising as of the last few years. I hope eventually there will be people who were guitarists who convert over to the uke like myself. Its such a kind, light non arrogant instrument I just feel more relaxed playing a uke than a guitar. It does kind of hurt my soul when i see videos of people 'shredding on their ukes butt rock style" I know their totally capable of doing so but i feel like the reason people start playing a uke is to get away from the flashy style of guitars...meh just my 2 cents sorry for changing the subject.

Top Bottom