What's the most expensive uke you would travel with on a plane?

westcoast

Reaction score
I might be doing some traveling by plane and I've been thinking about upgrading my KA-TG to something nicer. Would you take your "nice uke" with you when you travel? I'm headed to the east coast where the humidity can get pretty low. As long as I check my luggage, I think can probably carry on the uke and my backpack.

I might be doing some traveling by plane and I've been thinking about upgrading my KA-TG to something nicer. Would you take your "nice uke" with you when you travel? I'm headed to the east coast where the humidity can get pretty low. As long as I check my luggage, I think can probably carry on the uke and my backpack.

I carried my Pineapple Sunday on a plane in a hard case. I put it in the overhead bin. It wasn't a problem at all.

And I still had a carry on and a personal item. Instruments are allowed to be brought on board in addition to them.

Earlier this year, I had to take my 1700$ Kanile'a with me on the plane back to Denmark.
It was very hard to sit there for 12 hours and try not to think about how the ukulele might be doing.
... and I would never do it again. (Unless I wen't to US and bought another expensive uke of course :))

Although nothing happened, I would probably only bring my 'second in command'-uke or whatever uke you want, and leave the favorite home.

I went on a trip to Montréal and took with me my Kanile'a. I put it in my Fusion F1 bag in the overhead compartment. Didn't have any problems to go and back... Plus, on the return trip it was in in the train with me for 5 hours.
I was damaged, but the ukulele was cozy and fine in it's bag!!!!!

You should be fine whatever the cost of the uke. A hardshell case is suggested.

I'm confused about your east coast low humidity comment. Seems to me (and I live on the east coast) pretty high generally speaking. Unless you are talking inside a heated home where low humidity is an issue on whatever coast.

I have traveled with a Mya-Moe in a gig bag many times without any problems. I put it under the seat in front of me until everybody else has put their belongs in the overhead and then find a nice spot on top.

Mitch

I have taken my Moore Bettah on a plane a couple of times. I do use a hard case and all went well.

I think it depends to where I'm traveling (extreme temps/humidity or not) and for what reason (while I be able to show off/share my nice Uke or will I be playing by myself in my hotel room).

I met a guy traveling who takes one of his three Moore Beetah's wherever he goes (even though he has 18 uke's) and he travels massively. And thanks to him I have a severe case of MBO (Moore Beetah Obsession).

I wouldn't take my KoAlohas or my Black Bear, but I quite the worry wart!

I travel quite a bit and I take any of my ukes...expensive or not so expensive. I just carry it on. I've never had any issues.

I've carried my Mya-Moe tenor in a Mono M80 about a dozen times without incident. On Southwest I always board as early as possible and place her in the overhead compartment.

I've travelled with both my Kamaka pineapple and concert ukes, always in hardshell cases, always as carry-on. The plane is never what worries me, it's the uke left unattended in the hotel room that I always stress out about, but so far so good.

I travel with mine. As long as they are in a hard shell case I don't have any concerns at all.

I always travel with my Kamaka Bell shaped ukulele in it's hard case cause it's my easiest ukulele to play. Never had a problem but then it's concert size and not huge.

You should be fine whatever the cost of the uke. A hardshell case is suggested.

I'm confused about your east coast low humidity comment. Seems to me (and I live on the east coast) pretty high generally speaking. Unless you are talking inside a heated home where low humidity is an issue on whatever coast.

I mean that I'll be going back and forth for the next few months. When I lived on the east coast a few years ago, in the winter the humidity tended to be pretty low because the heat was on more often. In California this is less of an issue.

Like some other folks I'm a bit of a worrier. I tend to travel with decent quality bulletproof laminated ukes like a kiwaya or moku.

I don't think I would count on that being true with every airline (or perhaps more accurately, every airline gate agent)

Somebody dig up the thread with the letter from homeland security that states instruments are allowed to be carried aboard in addition to carry on and personal item.

Here's the link to the TSA information...

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/musical-instruments

The key statement in their policy is that this is the TSA policy. Each airline has its own policy...

"You may carry one (1) musical instrument in addition to 1 carry-on and 1 personal item through the screening checkpoint. This is a TSA Screening Policy. Airlines may or may not allow the additional carry-on item on their aircraft. Please check with your airline before you arrive at the airport."

Top Bottom