PDA

View Full Version : Fidra Ukuleles from Scotland - Any players in here ?

Ukador
11-09-2013, 08:43 AM
Hello guys !

A while ago I stumbled across a Ukulele Luthier from Scotland. His name is Simon Overton and his Ukuleles are named after an Island in the Firth of Forth.

Fidra

www.fidraukulele.co.uk

Today I had to buy his Redwood/Koa concert Ukulele after being in contact with him for several months :D

I can't wait to receive that beauty.

I am wondering if there are any Fidra Ukulele owners in here that want to share their opinion about their instrument.

Uke Republic
11-09-2013, 08:52 AM
I like those Celtic bridge pins

TJ Uke
11-09-2013, 11:43 AM
I like those Celtic bridge pins

If my cartoon watching days taught me anything, that means it's indestructible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpSizJ4Mj-U

P.S.

Super jealous!

I love that it doesn't have a huge tacky logo anywhere.

Strumdaddy
11-09-2013, 02:08 PM
I've seen his ukes before (on the internet). They look well built and aesthetically very pleasing. I would be very interested in a report on how yours sounds when you get it.

GASguy
11-09-2013, 03:26 PM
Beautiful uke; I have often thought about a Koa and Redwood combination as I like redwood tops on guitars and ukuleles.

I must say I really love the Celtic Knot style rosette and bridge pin carvings.

Just out of curiosity, where are you located? Does the builder ship internationally?

AKuker
11-09-2013, 03:55 PM
Beautiful work. Two of those listed in his "for sale" section are padauk top back and sides. That's one of my favorite woods. I'd like to hear your thoughts on the sound and quality once you receive it! Thanks for telling us about Simon's ukes.
Randy

Ukador
11-09-2013, 08:41 PM
Just out of curiosity, where are you located? Does the builder ship internationally?

I live in Germany so he does ship at least within the EU but I am quite sure that he does also ship worldwide.

The only reason why I had to wait so long until ordering one of his instruments is because he doesn't build concert sized Ukuleles as often as a Soprano or a Tenor.

Ukulele Eddie
11-10-2013, 11:23 AM
What a nice looking uke for the money. Can't wait to read your review and hear a sound bite.

Ukador
11-28-2013, 06:15 AM
I received the Uke today and will post a review soon.

So far I can say that it is beautifully and well made, has living water strings on it, came well packed, has quite a low string action without any deadspots on any of the 18 frets and can easily compete with my former 1000+€ Kamaka HF2 concert ;)

Just to let you know: Simon posted today that he has two new Soprano sized Ukuleles for sale --> http://www.fidraukulele.co.uk/for-sale/4551129981

Ukador
12-07-2013, 03:01 AM
Yesterday I recorded a little bit. I hope the quality is decent as I am experimenting quite a lot with my recording equipment at the moment :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijuttYI46Zk

cigarfan
12-07-2013, 04:54 AM
Ooo! Like the sound of that. Nice playing. May have to consider redwood for my next build.

telecaster75
07-30-2014, 01:32 AM
Great UKE....i've discovered this Brand only few days ago...
They sounds great and looks beautiful!

Ukador
12-22-2014, 09:48 AM
Simon built me a new concert ukulele fully made of mahogany with some ebony elements, my own headstock style and an inlayed "D".

The sound and the building quality is just amazing. Sorry you Koa lovers out there but theres nothing that can beat the sound of a well made mahogany instrument and the best thing is that the sound will evolve over the next few years :D It is loud and super warm / deep at the same time.

It has a hand rubbed oil finish, came with a very good ukulele case, has pretty good no-name friction tuners and 18 frets. I had some problems with a buzzing string right after I received it but all is working now.

Ukulele Eddie
12-22-2014, 09:53 AM
Ukador, very nice looking uke! Next time you need your Ukador logo as a headstock inlay. ;-)

Ukador
12-23-2014, 10:49 PM
Yep, that`s already planned :)

philpot
12-24-2014, 03:34 AM
Those are some nice looking ukes! I love the celtic touches, especially the headstock letter :) Congratulations on your new one.

Ukador
12-25-2015, 06:47 AM
I'm just wondering of there are any other "Fidra-Players" around by now ?

Kiwiohana
12-25-2015, 08:21 AM
Oh my, what a gorgeous instrument! I assume you still love it, two years down the track?

There are none for sale on his site at the moment - do you mind me asking what price range yours was?

I really fancy the idea of a Celtic ukulele.......

Ukador
01-02-2016, 10:28 AM
Oh my, what a gorgeous instrument! I assume you still love it, two years down the track?

There are none for sale on his site at the moment - do you mind me asking what price range yours was?

I really fancy the idea of a Celtic ukulele.......

Unfortunately I sold my first Fidra Ukulele and the current owner doesn't want to sell it back to me. If I remember correctly I paid around 700€ for it.

I won't do this fault with my Fidra all mahogany concert sized Ukulele. The price for this custom made Uke was around 900€ incl. shipping and a hardcase.

I bought Gotoh UPT's and will upgrade my Fidra soon. I am still very happy with it even though the C string started to buzz in the last few months. The binding has a crack because I treated this solid wood instrument very bad and had it on my wall all the time even though the humiditiy level was quite low.

If you are interested in a custom made Fidra you should contact Simon Overton by mail. He is a very nice guy and easy to do business with. He builds quite a lot at the moment as far as I know which means that you can expect a waiting time of at least 3-4 months.

Kiwiohana
01-02-2016, 01:05 PM
Thanks, I have been in touch. Currently working out exactly what I want. Pricing is very reasonable. Simon is now taking orders for build slots in May.

Thanks for putting me on to his products!

Ukador
06-15-2016, 04:25 AM
Thanks, I have been in touch. Currently working out exactly what I want. Pricing is very reasonable. Simon is now taking orders for build slots in May.

Thanks for putting me on to his products!

So, have you ordered and received your very own Fidra Ukulele ?

Griffis
06-15-2016, 07:08 AM
Wow. This maker is new to me, so I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread.

It's not as if I am likely to ever be able to own a custom, luthier-built work of art such as these, but I do enjoy window shopping!

I look at the work of builders from all over and daydream and drool. So far, based solely on aesthetics, I am really enamored of Black Bear instruments, but these Fidra ukes...just so beautiful and classy.

I have an abiding affection for Celtic/Gaelic/Scottish and Irish things in general. The history, the music, the myths, and so on.

If money were no object, I would likely contact a couple of luthiers to have "dream builds" done with my input as far as materials, specs, etc. In fact, I've had this type of thing done before, both with acoustic guitars and electric basses. It's not that I feel the ukulele isn't deserving of the same care and artistry--I have just reached a point in my life where old sayings like "you can't take it with you" have a lot of resonance with me.

Short of winning the lottery, I will remain content to be an "admirer-from-a-distance" of these little wonders and works of art, vicariously finding excitement through the purchases, reviews, work-in-progress reports on a new builds, etc., of others and just enjoy my humble laminate ukes.

I guess at base I am willing to sacrifice some of the tonal qualities, lightness of build, etc. that comes from handcrafted instruments with finely honed woods, etc. Some of this is a result of my own personal economic status, but I also feel that, in my situation, laminate instruments provide a better, more utilitarian alternative, simply because, while typically clunkier and more imperfect, they tend (in my experience) to be less prone to cracking, basic fragility, and generally less fussy and in need of less care and concern. Plus, it's far easier to replace an "off the rack" uke as opposed to a high-end, one-of-a-kind instrument, or even mass-produced models made of solid woods.

Ukador
12-21-2016, 04:14 AM
Looks like Simon has a beautiful Spruce/Rosewood Concert Ukulele for sale at the moment.

http://www.fidraukulele.co.uk/for-sale/4551129981

I already have a spruce/rosewood Uke so I'm out but I am sure this would be a nice christmas present for somebody else :)

dimebar
12-21-2016, 07:28 AM
Wow!! Thank you for the information.

Ukador
01-04-2017, 11:06 AM
Oh boy, he just added a price tag and new pictures of that Uke. That is so tempting :drool:

Nickie
01-04-2017, 04:58 PM
Congrats Ukador, that's a fine lookin' uke. I bet it plays Celtic music just fine.

Ukador
01-04-2017, 08:24 PM
Congrats Ukador, that's a fine lookin' uke. I bet it plays Celtic music just fine.

I bet that as well but I did not buy it ;)

cml
01-05-2017, 04:34 AM
Seems most your posts are either that other luthiers' ukes are overpriced or that Fidras are better or as good as other customs.

Sorry, but I think you're doing that luthier a disservice. Perhaps he does great work.

Maybe I'm just grumpy.

buddhuu
01-07-2017, 03:35 AM
Play nice, kiddies.

cml
01-07-2017, 03:43 AM
Edited and removed by myself. Buddhu, you have a pm.

buddhuu
01-07-2017, 02:03 PM
Edited and removed by myself. Buddhu, you have a pm.

Thanks but for future reference, mods can see deleted/edited posts. No need for the pm. ;)

And, BTW, it's "buddhuu", like it clearly says on the page in front of you.