Ohana CK-50 vs. Ohana 35G.

Reaction score
San Jose, California via `Ewa Beach, O`ahu, Hawai`
I've been watching both of Ken Middleton's video reviews. I'd like to choose between the two. plan on playing mostly Hawaiian music and kanikapila with the fam. Anybody have an idea of the sound of rosewood vs mahogany? mahalos.

Last edited:
All ukuleles will sound different to your ears and you should under no circumstances consider buying something that sounds contrary to what you think sounds "right".

[edit]

Harold O.

Last edited:
I think (and if I am wrong then I'm confused) that he is saying if you can go to a store to try the uke you want out its best. But I see no problem with buying online... If you are like me I am not anywhere near any stores that stock anything other than soprano ukes... So online is my only option. As for choosing between the 2 I am not sure.

Buying online offers nothing aside from price and anonymous reputation. If you can find your way into a well-stocked actual store, the info is invaluable (...and BUY THE DAMN THING...it ain't like you're saving more than a couple of twenties...which you would have wasted on some other goof-ball alternative.)

And if you can't afford spending $100 on a basic/decent ukulele, my best suggestion is that you go look at another board and see how many "friends" you can inspire.

these are the two lines that led me to question his tone. "other goof-ball alternative", "can't afford spending $100", "go look at another board", "see how many 'friends' you can inspire"?

i have my reasons for going online -- namely a possible switch to geared tuners and tweaking the action that my local or I can not do (the price was equivalent if nothing needed to be changed). In order to make that decision I tried multiple versions of the same `ukulele. My local was fine with me buying elsewhere, so I don't understand the comments above.

and both `ukulele above are worth more than $100, supporting a company whose owner helped me with a problem on another `ukulele (again over $100), so where does this go to another board non-sense arise from? maybe I should go to another board, because if the requirement to being "inspirational" or having a "basic/decent ukulele" on this board is $100, i'll go elsewhere. I came here looking for kokua and mana`o from people (via lurking) who seemed friendly and knowledgeable. nothing i've typed was a step out of being humble. btw I suck at the `ukulele and freely admit to it, so I see no necessity in blowing choke dineros on something I might get too frustrated in.

i'm probably blowing this way out of proportion and over reading into it. But I'm getting more mad reading his FAIL at being zen-ish. I asked a simple question -- rosewood vs mahogany? There's better and more subtle ways of saying go to a brick and mortar to try it out.

these are the two lines that led me to question his tone. "other goof-ball alternative", "can't afford spending $100", "go look at another board", "see how many 'friends' you can inspire"?

i have my reasons for going online -- namely a possible switch to geared tuners and tweaking the action that my local or I can not do (the price was equivalent if nothing needed to be changed). In order to make that decision I tried multiple versions of the same `ukulele. My local was fine with me buying elsewhere, so I don't understand the comments above.

and both `ukulele above are worth more than $100, supporting a company whose owner helped me with a problem on another `ukulele (again over $100), so where does this go to another board non-sense arise from? maybe I should go to another board, because if the requirement to being "inspirational" or having a "basic/decent ukulele" on this board is $100, i'll go elsewhere. I came here looking for kokua and mana`o from people (via lurking) who seemed friendly and knowledgeable. nothing i've typed was a step out of being humble. btw I suck at the `ukulele and freely admit to it, so I see no necessity in blowing choke dineros on something I might get too frustrated in.

i'm probably blowing this way out of proportion and over reading into it. But I'm getting more mad reading his FAIL at being zen-ish. I asked a simple question -- rosewood vs mahogany? There's better and more subtle ways of saying go to a brick and mortar to try it out.

Gotta agree with you 1014, I didn't understand his somewhat aggressive response to your simple question. I've been here a while, and though I don't know Harold O., this is not a typical response from most of the people here. Welcome to the underground, 1014.

I've sold and played all the Ohana ukuleles (even recently last week at NAMM) and prefer the rosewood Ck-50. Ohana's are very similar to Bushman Are they from the same factory?

Gotta agree with you 1014, I didn't understand his somewhat aggressive response to your simple question. I've been here a while, and though I don't know Harold O., this is not a typical response from most of the people here. Welcome to the underground, 1014.

I agree I see that it looks like there is a tone, but I am hoping that there wasn't... That is not a typical response. Most of us wouldn't tell you to leave :eek:

Hope the rest of these responses have helped!! :shaka:

OHHH, apologies abound. I shouldn't post late at night. Or after prolonged discussion with the Captain.

Clarifying:
The benefits of buying online are price and selection. Using a guy with a reputation like MGM will get you a good instrument. Using a guy like JoeShmoe.com will get you what you get and you're stuck with it.

Benefits of buying from a store is that you get to see and hear the actual instrument before you buy. If the store has a wide selection, chances are that the proprietors are knowledgable about the products and can offer up suggestions for your playing style and ability.

BUY THE THING simply translates to the old adage of "sooner or later you need to shoot the engineer and just build the thing." If you are himming and hawing over a few dollars, give in and let that baby fly.

Back on topic, the only real way to know any difference between two of anything is to have them side by each.

Harold O.

Top Bottom