Season 91 - SEX CHANGE!

mikef

Reaction score
Season 91 - SEX CHANGE!
Now that I have your attention...

I want you to perform one of your favourite songs written, performed or made famous by a member of the opposite sex. It's as simple as that. I'm not looking for novelty wigs and forced vocal ranges, I'm looking for a strong interpretation and heart felt performance of a song by one your favourite vocalists of the opposite sex. It's a good week to showcase an artist for whom you have deep respect and admiration.

The Rules Are...
  • PLEASE don't post any videos until Sunday out of respect for the previous host
  • The main focus should be the ukulele and no multi-tracking this week... I want passion and I want it live (don't we all!)
  • Duos etc... apply “opposite sex” to whoever sings the lead vocal
  • Please mention Season 91 in your video
  • No bonus' this week... all entries count but keep it to a max of three per person and pour your very soul into every take!

The Prizes Are...
I shall pick two winners this week...
  • Best gentlemen's performance of a song by a female artist
  • Best ladies' performance of a song by a male artist
… and each win a musical plush toy of Gabriel The Toad...

GOOD LUCK SEASONISTAS!

Official Playlist

OMG what a fun and unusual theme. So many many songs to choose from. I've already got one in mind. A couple weeks ago someone suggested that I learn it and I thought- beautiful song but it's a guys song. Picking only three songs will be the challenge this week.

Great minds, Mike. I considered this as a theme. Lucky I had already decided on something else. I've done a few gender bending tunes already. What to pick, now?

oh gosh what a great PRIZE. oh and super duper theme too of course. but... GABRIEL THE TOAD!!! *swoons*

anyone who doesn't know - he is from bagpuss, a wonderful kid's tv show from back in the day

you can see a little bit of it here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUGVHSY4iYA

ok

normally the seasons are all about taking part

but if gabriel the toad is in the picture, IT'S ALL ABOUT WINNING NOW!

or at the very least, crying when you don't!

Great theme Mike, and great to have you back in the seasons full swing. I was starting to work on a song I wanted to use as a bonus for the current season but won't have time. It will fit in nicely for your week. Woo hop!

I've never heard of Gabriel the toad, but i will say that I nearly chose bagpuss as my UU name.

do we change all the he's/she's in the song? or sing it as the opposite gender. ie if we were doing 'My guy' would we sing it as 'My girl'?

do we change all the he's/she's in the song? or sing it as the opposite gender. ie if we were doing 'My guy' would we sing it as 'My girl'?
I think it would be up to you. However I did change all the she to he and her to him in my entry (which does make sense for that particular song ;)).

Can we still wear a novelty wig if we want?
What you get up to in your own time is no concern of mine ;)

Great minds, Mike. I considered this as a theme. Lucky I had already decided on something else.
Ha... well glad you had something else in mind :)

oh gosh what a great PRIZE. oh and super duper theme too of course. but... GABRIEL THE TOAD!!! *swoons*
Glad you like it! The one in the wee video is mine and as soon as I got it I thought "awesome UU prize"... and ordered 2 more!

I've never heard of Gabriel the toad, but i will say that I nearly chose bagpuss as my UU name.
I didn't know if Bagpuss was known in the US, good to hear his saggy old cloth cat-ness has crossed the pond.

Entirely up to you :) I deliberately didn't mention this as I wanted to see what everyone would choose to do :)

Well thank you all for the encouraging words, it's always a little nerve wracking posting up a theme... I'm pleased you like it! Now go forth and wow me!

pabrizzer: Absolutely awesome start Brian... I knew you wouldn't let me down. That suits the baritone and your voice perfectly. Superb.

wee_ginga_yin: Nina Simone! That was fantastic Sir!

Already an amazing start... sadly I now have to jetwash the decking... not quite so exciting. Keep them coming!!!

This is one of my entries this week by the first Woman that came to mind when I saw this theme: Melissa Etheridge. This is I'm the only one. I will probably be looking at Bonnie Raitt, Suzanne Vega, Michelle Shocked and/or Joan Armatrading for my next entry (just if somebody needed some names ;)).

Last edited:
Great season, Mike!

I tried to think outside the box for this one, because I tend to go for songs by male performers anyway. I just cannot sing high enough to perform anything by female artists well.

So, here's a version of 'Drift Away' - worked out from memory, because the chord charts I found weren't up to scratch.

Enjoy,

ok i've dived straight into this with two vids...

because there are two male artists who were just iconic when i was young and they are still iconic...

first up marc bolan, this is the T.Rex song "get it on"

glam rock is the best rock

fact

ok it wouldn't let me post two vids in one post

fair goes

next up is... who is that? the devil in velvet trousers? oh no, just someone equally smooooooooooooooooooooooooooth...

bryan ferry - slave to love

because there are two male artists who were just iconic when i was young and they are still iconic...

fact

Yay Lynda. Great. The first band I ever liked and the first record I ever bought was.........yep T.Rex. Excellent cover of Get it On. Had me singing along. Yep I still know all the words from memory too. ;-)

fact

Great season, Mike!
I tried to think outside the box for this one, because I tend to go for songs by male performers anyway. I just cannot sing high enough to perform anything by female artists well.
So, here's a version of 'Drift Away' - worked out from memory, because the chord charts I found weren't up to scratch.
Enjoy,
I see the competition for Gabriel the Toad will be fierce this week.
Excellent entries.
I won't be able to record till later in the week - I've lost my voice due to a terrible cold. I'm hoping to squeak something out for Season 90 before the day ends (tried recording my song yesterday and I sounded like a frog).

Top Bottom