Oasis Strings make a BIG difference on Ko'olau T-2

Doc_J

Reaction score
I was fairly content with Ko'olau Alohi strings with a wound C on my Ko'olau T-2. To my hearing they were not quite the perfect strings, but good. I had been wanting to try the Oasis GPX Fluorocarbon, Bright strings with low G on my Ko'olau T-2. Tonight I put them on.

Wow! The Oasis strings were so much more resonant,warmer, and clearer to my ears. I like the Oasis sound much better. Maybe it's because they are new and different from the Alohi strings it came with. Granted the Oasis set had a low G, but the uke sounds like a different tenor with the Oasis strings. And they have only been on a couple hours. The next string change for this uke I will have try Alohi with low G.

See what you think. Note: both were in B tuning.

Ko'olau T-2, Alohi w/ wound C : https://app.box.com/s/2jo2rf1uzxvo5tqiebnl

Ko'olau T-2, Oasis GPX Fluorocarbon : https://app.box.com/s/6x3zmnkysqcadkz21lxj

Picture is with Alohi strings

attachment.php

Last edited:
Sounds great. I actually like both samples. Different for sure. Much richer and more pronounced lows with Oasis low G for sure but I think the Alohi sounded very good on that uke. If you like a deeper, richer sound then I can see why you got a wow feeling. String changes are fun and in many cases very surprising.

Have fun strummin!

Thanks for sharing. Just ordered some high g's for my new Kamaka soprano. Love the sound. Have Alohi's on my Pono concert, may have to try the Oasis on it as well.

Thanks from me, too. I have some Oasis strings in my bag - I've never used any. This may be the day I try them. I like what you played. :)

Doc_J,
I have a T-2 as well, after much experimentation I discovered that the Freemont Black Line Fluorocarbon stings with wound D'Addaario low g sounded most appealing to me. To me the un wound low g's lacked proper tension and were too sloppy. I liked your sound samples that you provided.
Reno Dave

Doc_J,
I have a T-2 as well, after much experimentation I discovered that the Freemont Black Line Fluorocarbon stings with wound D'Addaario low g sounded most appealing to me. To me the un wound low g's lacked proper tension and were too sloppy. I liked your sound samples that you provided.
Reno Dave

Dave, I agree about floppy unwound low G strings. They aren't as crisp and rich sounding as the wound strings (IMHO).

The Oasis low G strings are wound. It was interesting the single set provides 63-inches of A, E, C Fluorocarbon strings and 2 wound low G strings.
So, there is enough for 2 sets and you don't have to cut the wound low G.:)

Last edited:
I recently put a set of Oasis Low G's on a Boat Paddle 12 Fret Concert and they sound great and broke in very quickly.

Mitch

Len turned me on to these a while back and I am super impressed. Attack and sustain is great. I like the warm low G best. Actually like the Fremont soloist polished wound low g best right now though.

Going from high G to low G and old to new strings was noted. It's not really comparing the same thing. Still, I'm diggin' the Oasis. Good call Doc :D

Simply switching from high to low G can be an awakening experience. It's the tuning I prefer and is how I string all of my ukes. The Oasis warm and bright sets are identical with the exception of the A string which is a couple of mils thicker on the warm sets. I'm a fan of the Oasis fluorocarbons. They're lively and responsive strings.

Yeah I like the warm Oasis tenor sets

the Oasis sound nice on my Kamaka tenor and Kanile'a concert....more clarity/clean sound...feels soft and firm at the same time....

and the price for double set wow....did you make a typo on The Ukulele Site Andrew....haha

I am sure they are nice on the Ko'olau's too

Last edited:
and the price for double set wow....did you make a typo on The Ukulele Site Andrew....haha

Got a good deal from Dave and thought I'd pass it on. Plus I want people to try. They're really good strings. I think they'll have a lot of fans by this time next year.

Sweet playing!!!! I loved both samples!!!! I also have a set of Oasis in my gig bag! Really found your playing to be very soothing!!!! Thanks!

I'm torn -- the oasis sound good, but I really liked the alohis, too. Maybe it's my re-entrant bias.

One thing is for sure: that Ko'olau is a beautiful sounding uke. Maybe you could string it up with some bits of yarn or last night's spaghetti just to see if you can get it sound less stunning.

Thanks for sharing. Just ordered some high g's for my new Kamaka soprano. Love the sound. Have Alohi's on my Pono concert, may have to try the Oasis on it as well.

I know this was forever ago your post but I am getting a Kamaka soprano and wanted to know what you liked best for this model?

Top Bottom