Amazed by humidifier impact

Ukulele Eddie

Reaction score
I live in Santa Monica where relatively low humidity is only sometimes an issue in the Nov - Feb timeframe (see weatherspark.com for a great chart that shows humidity range for your area). Funny thing is while in McCabe's asking about humidifiers, an employee told me he doesn't think it's necessary here and he never uses one for any of his guitars. A customer that was standing by asked if I was concerned about a uke or a guitar and pointed out that he has a humidity controlled room for his ukes and guitars and that it is even more important for the smaller instrument. So, I opted to get an Oasis humidifier after all. I used it with the string hanger thingymabob.

I could not believe the difference it made. Even my wife said my Cordorba sounded warmer completely unprompted by me. Had I not experienced this directly I would have skeptical it could be so noticeable.

[Queue "I'm a Believer" by the Monkeys.]

If you have any doubt, make one or pick one up. At most it's a $20 investment.

Cheers, Eddie

I thought I was the only one thinking humidity in the air effects the tone of my uke. Nice to hear.

I've also noticed the humidity affecting tone phenomena. Interesting and seemingly very definite. I live in Western Colorado. Our winter humidity is often down around 10-14% so a humidifier is a necessity not an option. Had a friend buy a viola at McCabe's a few years ago and take it immediately to Albuquerque. He did not use a humidifier. Within a month the back developed a crack down the entire length. Real bummer. (Not McCabe's fault- they didn't know where he was traveling).

You should hear how your uke sounds in a hyperbaric chamber. Try playing Billie Jean.

Top Bottom