Acoustic tenor or acoustic baritone?

iamesperambient

Reaction score
Ok so its been about a month since i got my konablaster electric baritone uke. I do not have a tenor uke at all, just 2 sopranos one concert electric acoustic and my steel string electric baritone uke. I can not decide which acoustic to get tenor sized or an acoustic baritone hmmm? i need some help here.

Btw looking at lanikai and kala only (nothing else fits my price range at the moment and im happy with both bands as well).

You should go to a music store and try out both sizes and get the one that feels most comfortable to you. The good thing is that lanikai and kala ukes are really common at almost all music stores.
Another thing to think about is the tuning because if you want a reentrant GCEA tuning, baritone ukuleles only have two brands of strings which cater to that tuning (as far as I know).

If you like the baritone scale (that is, you're comfortable with a baritone fretboard), you could get an acoustic baritone and tune it with baritone-sized GCEA strings, which would basically give you the sound of a tenor but with slightly more resonance (depending, of course, on the strings and the ukulele). You could always restring it DGBE if you find that you prefer the deeper voice of a baritone. If I were choosing from among baritones in what appears to be your price range, I'd probably get a Kala solid mahogany baritone.

Yes, to the advice given below.

you could also tune the tenor into DGBE with Aquila set made specifically for the tenor for DGBE. but for me I like the baritone more then tenor.

Probably best to try them out first, as already said. But tenor is my favourite size and I own both Lanikai and Kala so I can endorse both.

you could also tune the tenor into DGBE with Aquila set made specifically for the tenor for DGBE. but for me I like the baritone more then tenor.

A dGBE tenor is wonderful. Southcoast Heavy Gauge strings work well for this tuning, as do the Aquilas.

You should go to a music store and try out both sizes and get the one that feels most comfortable to you. The good thing is that lanikai and kala ukes are really common at almost all music stores.
Another thing to think about is the tuning because if you want a reentrant GCEA tuning, baritone ukuleles only have two brands of strings which cater to that tuning (as far as I know).

I like my baritones I'm standard dgbe I have an electric one
I just want an acoustic one. I don't have a tenor I just figured
I should add that size into my collection but my baritone konablaster I'm dgbe is my main instrument at the moment for the music I make but I enjoy playing other sizes for fun eventually I want all sizes just trying to decide which I should get now

I say Lanikai Spruce Baritone or CK-B, or Kala Mahogany. The Lanikai SB was one of my first ukes, I still have it and still play it regularly, this is me just messing around on it, aquila strings with an old beatup low G string.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz4okKvmVmw

There's not much variety with baritones at the low end, I've owned the majority of the budget baritones models from Lanikai, Kala and OS, if you go with a tenor there are a ton more choices.

Last edited:
I say Lanikai Spruce Baritone or CK-B, or Kala Mahogany. The Lanikai SB was one of my first ukes, I still have it and still play it regularly, this is me just messing around on it, aquila strings with an old beatup low G string.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz4okKvmVmw

There's not much variety with baritones at the low end, I've owned the majority of the budget baritones models from Lanikai, Kala and OS, if you go with a tenor there are a ton more choices.

ok one thing I forgot to mention my price max is 150 I'm open to other brands and I'm think I'll get an acoustic baritone first since I love my electric so much and I prob won't be if I'm curious I could re string and retune like a tenor but I'll prob just get an actual tenor later. if anyone has suggestions on a decent baritone acoustic id prefer 100 or less bit max 150.

thanks ya i saw this im strongly considering it. just a bit worried it will have rusty strings or dents but for the price it may be worth it.

Go for it. From the piccys, the strings look OK. If they're not, strings are cheap enough.

I know someone with a tenor tuned DGBE. Sounds nice but it's far too quiet, IMO. I think she used Bari strings so the tension is a bit low.

Go for it. From the piccys, the strings look OK. If they're not, strings are cheap enough.

I know someone with a tenor tuned DGBE. Sounds nice but it's far too quiet, IMO. I think she used Bari strings so the tension is a bit low.

I'll check out this baritone its cheap enough. and the lanikai lu 21t on amazon is pretty cheap too. I may as well stick to it since i pretty much know what to expect my lu21 soprano is great so i think ill be happy with it. its just a pain these don't come with cases/bags (even if their little cheap things) oh well.

I had a quick look at a Kala Acacia Bari today. I really liked it but it was £300 GB so I left it. I'm not quite ready to get a Bari yet.

I had a quick look at a Kala Acacia Bari today. I really liked it but it was £300 GB so I left it. I'm not quite ready to get a Bari yet.

I really feel like since i have an electric baritone and im playing it so much ir eally should have an acoustic to go along with it.
I do really want a tenor too so i can have all the sizes. I'm either getting the bargin baritone from butler or im going to end up
spending a little more on something like a cordoba which is slightly more than the price i wanna spend. I see some deals for makala
baritones on amazon i know its part of kala but some how i just dont know if its going to be much better than a rogue which is only 40 bucks
and in that case i may as well spend 40 bucks less on a rogue. The lanikai lu21T though is totally reasonable as far as price goes.

This might be a really dumb question but if u string a tenor dgbe does it sound different than gcea? Would it be lower than low gcea?

Thanks.
Tom

if youj looking for a tenor, the Kala TG is hard to beat in sound and price.

I really feel like since i have an electric baritone and im playing it so much ir eally should have an acoustic to go along with it.
I do really want a tenor too so i can have all the sizes. I'm either getting the bargin baritone from butler or im going to end up
spending a little more on something like a cordoba which is slightly more than the price i wanna spend. I see some deals for makala
baritones on amazon i know its part of kala but some how i just dont know if its going to be much better than a rogue which is only 40 bucks
and in that case i may as well spend 40 bucks less on a rogue. The lanikai lu21T though is totally reasonable as far as price goes.

Top Bottom