Tenors from $250-$500 (Grestsch, Martin, Pono)

westcoast

Reaction score
Has anyone compared these? I'm looking at a few tenors in this range.

Around $200-ish there's some solid-top / laminate back and side tenors like the Gretsch: http://www.theukulelesite.com/gretsch-solid-top-tenor-cutaway-fishman-active-pickup-gig-bag.html

And for all-solid, there's http://www.theukulelesite.com/gretsch-solid-mahogany-tenor-ukulele-pack-9120-sm.html and of course the Pono's (satin or gloss) and the Martin T1K.

Martin is available locally; the others would be from HMS.

I should add that if there are ukes with a gloss body but satin neck, that'd be ideal.

Last edited:
As a matter of personal preference - I own the Pono in satin - and I've played a number of the Martins. I'd pick the Martin from this bunch. However, for $500 and a little patience you could find something used that is more interesting. I think the Pono is a bit too heavy and the body too thick for me to love it. The Gretsch is probably a decent deal for the money but would be harder to resell. The current Mexican Martins are actually pretty decent. However, in that price range you can watch the used stuff for sale and probably find something custom made that will be a lot more special.

I have the Gretsch cutaway and really like it, projects well, feels good. I'm planning to lower the action a bit.

As a matter of personal preference - I own the Pono in satin - and I've played a number of the Martins. I'd pick the Martin from this bunch. However, for $500 and a little patience you could find something used that is more interesting. I think the Pono is a bit too heavy and the body too thick for me to love it. The Gretsch is probably a decent deal for the money but would be harder to resell. The current Mexican Martins are actually pretty decent. However, in that price range you can watch the used stuff for sale and probably find something custom made that will be a lot more special.

Thanks - I took my KA-TG into the shop over the weekend and played a few different ukes to compare them. I did notice the Martin was thinner. Also, good point on the resale; I think the Martin name would certainly help if I ever wanted to upgrade in the future. The custom ones might be nice, but my impression is it's harder to sell locally - may be less of a problem on the forum, though!

Top Bottom