More Cast Iron

Timbuck

Reaction score
I spotted this on Ebay..It's an indexer with a 6" chuck fitted ..I thought that it would be a good addition to my Milling machine for cutting out rosette chanels....It arrived this morning and it needs a refurb... but it will be great when I've given it a bit of TLC.

AS IT IS NOW.... STRIPPED DOWN

You had to go open it up huh? See how it works?
I did that with several old watches, couldn't ever get them going again...

So a question about milling machines, and wood. I use my drill press as a milling machine for wood, and 3200 is the max rpm. What does a professional do?

You had to go open it up huh? See how it works?
I did that with several old watches, couldn't ever get them going again...

So a question about milling machines, and wood. I use my drill press as a milling machine for wood, and 3200 is the max rpm. What does a professional do?
Depends on the cutter dia ..My milling machine is made from an old heavy cast iron bench drill...and I don't have any problems milling wood at top speed... Most routers run at 25,000 up to 30,000 rpm with cutter bits. Up to 12mm...I'd imagine that a router fastened to the drill somehow would be better tho'.

Last edited:
This is an image of a router hooked up to a Radial Arm Saw head. It should be possible to adapt the idea to a Drill Press. Routing on the DP is problematical. Not enough speed for clean cuts and bearings not designed for side loading. It sorta works.

RAS's are fairly common for $50 - ~100 out this way. In fact, some saws made for Sears are subject to a recall. If your saw is one of them you can either get a new guard and table assembly through this recall or send in the motor and head for , I think, a $100 bounty. Would need to check the current status of this offer. Just a thought.

Attachments

• Router.jpg
    Router.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 64
Yes more rpms would be cleaner cutting, but slow and easy wins at 3200. I don't care what I'm cutting, it always has to be sanded to finish it anyway.
I suppose the stock drill press bearings can be up-graded, right?

8407019442_7d56286b75_c.jpg

My mill turns up to only 3K rpm, so I lashed a 20K Proxxon tool onto it. This is what I use for making rosettes, channels and sound holes.

Thats it ..Refurb done, derusted degreased..It's an excellent piece of kit...Very accurate indexer Made in England yonks ago...It's great for pitching out holes, Machining squares hexagons octogons etc: and loads of other stuff like gear wheels....But! it isn't quite what I wanted..I still really need a "Rotating table" with "worm wheel and pinion" to do the rosettes...But i'm happy with this for now and it's going into the milling tool rack.

nice blue finish!
I got the newest version of the stew mac rosette cutter which now does ukes- works a treat for $80

Top Bottom