Good deal on Hygrometers you can calibrate

Skinny Money McGee

Reaction score
Thought I would pass this on to anyone interested. There's a seller on ebay right now selling Madelaine hygrometers by xikar that can be calibrated utilizing the salt test. These usually sell for 19.95+ This seller has them for $9.50 plus 2 for shipping.

I've been using one for a year now and it seems very accurate. Salt testing it after a 1 year of use, it went right back up to 75%, but will change the battery and recalibrate for another year's use.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231072338294?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Thanks! :)

What are the dimensions?

Just purchased one.
My thought is to put it in one hard case and assume the other cases would be about the same reading.
Thanks for the lead.

Just purchased one.
My thought is to put it in one hard case and assume the other cases would be about the same reading.
Thanks for the lead.

Just don't forget to use the salt test to calibrate it. Here's a video how to do it if you don't already know how. The hygrometer in the video works a little different. With the Madelaine, while it's still in the ziplock bag, hold the button down for 3 seconds or so and it will automatically adjust to 75%.

http://youtu.be/Pk7j_Y6XaIk

If it starts giving you weird readings, probably time to change the battery, and recalibrate. My battery has lasted for about a year so far and it's still working.

If it starts giving you weird readings, probably time to change the battery, and recalibrate.

FYI - I just received mine and right out of the box it measured 40%RH / 63F. The user guide states "This unit will read humidity in the range of 30% to 90%. Should the relative humidity be outside this range, the unit will show two dashes (--). This simply means the humidity is outside the readable range."
So this range should be considered before changing batteries.

Once again, thanks SMM for the lead on this.

I saw your note just as I was getting ready to go to a local cigar chop to buy one. I ordered one and got it today, and it seems just the thing. Thanks for the tip.

Top Bottom