My tenth fret has problems

wrestlingmatt51

Reaction score
For quite some time now, the tenth fret of my ukulele has had some problems. Specifically on the G string. When I play it, it kind of rattles. And not only that but it also is a half step higher than it should be unless I press it down just right. I'm using a wound low G and it's not nearly as bad when I use an unwound string, but I'd still like to fix it if I can. Any thoughts? (by the way, the uke is a tenor Pono)

Sounds like your 11th fret is high. It's an easy fix if you know how and have a few basic tools but you can screw it up too if you've got no experience. I suggest taking it to someone who knows about such things. You might also try switching to a different type of wound low G.

It does sound like a high fret, and there is something simple you can try. Take a small piece of wood, say a 1/4" dowel or scrap of hardwood, and a small hammer or similar (I just use a handy pair of lineman's pliers and a small piece of oak). Seated, rest the neck of the uke on your leg, with your leg right under the neck opposite the high fret. Use the dowel as a drift pin and tap on the fret next to the string that's buzzing (the wood won't damage the fret, don't use anything hard or metal, and your leg will cushion the neck so it isn't damaged by something hard). Try a couple of light taps and see if it helps, and if so try a few more. it may work and fix it completely, or it may not work at all, and you'll need to level the frets more formally, but I always do this when finding a high fret, or before leveling frets, just to be sure they're fully seated.

Of course, be sure it's the right fret, and that it is higher than the ones directly next to it...if it's jumping up a half tone higher than it should, it will probably be whatever fret should play that note when it's fingered (but there can be more than one, in some cases).

Last edited:
hmm - the suggested method will only work if the fret has lifted - and if it's lifted only on the G string side the suggested technique could result in making it worse. First determine if it's lifted, or if it's always been high, or if the neck is warped - before you start banging on it. If none of this makes any sense to you, go find a repair person who works with fretted instruments regularly.

Duk

Top Bottom