Looking for suggestions for a tenor

Ipcmlr

Reaction score
I really like sopranos and concerts.
I think its the ukulele sound that they produce.

Anyway, I'm thinking of getting a tenor but for me to get something nice I want a guitar like sound so that its completely different from my soprano and concert.

I'm targeting to just get 1 tenor and be done with it just like I have 1 soprano and 1 concert.

So what can you suggest that is guitary sounding?
Compass rose and ldfm come to mind.
Budget is 1200-1800.

Thanks as usual!

My take from the perspective of a classical guitarist...

Spruce and cedar are the most common CG tops. They sound more like what you might expect from a Spanish guitar.

Spruce is generally brighter and cedar is generally warmer, but both terms are very subjective.

And of course, low G will make it sound more guitar-like as well.

You have a lot of choice in your price range, even a custom. Good luck in your quest. :)

If you want a "guitar like" sound, may want to focus on body size.

I am a Huge fan of Compass Rose ukuleles, if you search you youtube there is an interesting UU interview of Rick Turner from NAMM 2011, he talks about his experience and how his goal was to bring a different perspective to the Uke.

Also lots of Compass Rose Uke videos to check out on youtube.

I recommend Compass Rose ukes very highly and they might be just the "flavor" you are looking for!

Edited to insert link to UU Rick Turner interview

http://youtu.be/wzjtjQzVES0

Last edited:
Moodyville Gypsy Jazz tenors are big bodied, loud and guitar-like. It is a bit larger than a LFdM. See pic below.

All tenors will sound more guitar-like with low G strings, and lower tuning.
attachment.php

Last edited:
My Compass Rose in low G does a great job of getting that tone.

If you want a completely different "guitar-like" sound you might be better going for a baritone. I have a Kala solid mahogany baritone and I love the deep resonant sound it has. And because the baritone is strung like a guitar it definitely sounds more guitar-like.

what about that Cedar/Pau Ferro tenor that Jason Wolverton just posted on the UU...in the builders/luthiers lounge....it is in your price range and should sound like what you are looking for....

I really like sopranos and concerts.
I think its the ukulele sound that they produce.

Anyway, I'm thinking of getting a tenor but for me to get something nice I want a guitar like sound so that its completely different from my soprano and concert.

I'm targeting to just get 1 tenor and be done with it just like I have 1 soprano and 1 concert.

So what can you suggest that is guitary sounding?
Compass rose and ldfm come to mind.
Budget is 1200-1800.

Thanks as usual!

While tenor will give you a deeper tone than concert
(especially with the low G tuning) it will still sound
like a uke. Now a baritone on the other hand the standard
is DGBE like the highest strings of a guitar, it has a much more
guitar like tone, with the playability of a ukulele and still a much more
higher /airy tone than a guitar, but much more mellow and deep in comparison
to soprano, concert and tenor. If the true guitar like tone is what you are after
I say go for a baritone.

Thanks for your suggestions.
I was leaning on getting a compass rose but still having doubts on playing tenors.
I went to guitar center 3 days in a row now to play with a few tenors to see if I could be comfortable with the tenor scale.
Sadly it's just not working!

No shame in that! I'm going backwards myself, having overloaded on tenors from the beginning. Liking the smaller ones lately. Ugh haha.

Thanks for your suggestions.
I was leaning on getting a compass rose but still having doubts on playing tenors.
I went to guitar center 3 days in a row now to play with a few tenors to see if I could be comfortable with the tenor scale.
Sadly it's just not working!

Compass Rose does make concert scale ukes, there are more tenors available, but they do build concerts, although I have not played one.

There is a nice looking sycamore and cedar Compass Rose concert
"nano jumbo" at Sylvan music currently.

http://http://www.sylvanmusic.com/inventory.php?function=view&id=2256&search=Ukuleles

Yes a concert Nano...talk to Rick he is a wealth of info....he builds some of the best guitars too..if you did not know...

the Compass Rose Tenor at HMS just got sold...it was a C model with beautiful Curly Cherry and a Spruce top...one of the nicer CR's i have seen in awhile....as usual the finish was top notch by Rick Turner...watch HMS will be getting in a few more in a few days....

Thanks to all your suggestions I have been looking around at a bunch of ukes online.
This has gotten me in big trouble...
Too much eye candy too little money and I will be shelling out a big chunk of change this Tuesday! Draaaats!!!!

Ipcmir-

For what it's worth, I also had found the tenor scale to be too large. That is, until I bought a baritone (Pono MB -- hard to find). This baritone is really fun to play. And playing it has made the tenor size feel much more comfortable. In other words, playing the baritone seems to have stretched out my fretting hand for the better.

(I still think that Pohaku concert is wonderful, by the way...)

Ipcmir-

For what it's worth, I also had found the tenor scale to be too large. That is, until I bought a baritone (Pono MB -- hard to find). This baritone is really fun to play. And playing it has made the tenor size feel much more comfortable. In other words, playing the baritone seems to have stretched out my fretting hand for the better.

(I still think that Pohaku concert is wonderful, by the way...)

We should meetup someday and do a uke swap for a week or so.
I'll be getting something next week which I'm pretty sure you'll want to try out.

Have you considered the Pono Pro-Classic Series? In particular, The Ko'olau website (Pono FAQS) states that their Rosewood with Cedar top model is like a classical guitar in both appearance and tone. This was confirmed to me by Aaron at Hawaii Music Supply. The Pono Pro-Classic Series with slotheads run about $1,000 which is in your price range. Good Luck!

We should meetup someday and do a uke swap for a week or so.
I'll be getting something next week which I'm pretty sure you'll want to try out.

Sounds like fun. I'll send you a PM with my contact info.

Top Bottom