I decided for now to go with a rogue baritone ukulele for an acoustic

iamesperambient

Reaction score
I read here so many comments that its a decent uke for the price only 40 bucks. I'm low on cash now and just spend a lot of money for me 300 is a lot on my baritone konablaster but i want somethign acoustic to play in the baritone size just to write songs with out having to plug in all the time at greater volume. I think this should do me well. After this next purchase I'm looking at is a lanikai tenor, than hopefully a gretsch resonator concert (maybe xmas who knows).

Anyone else who has one wanna comment on the rogue baritone uke?

I own two Rogue baritones - one converted into a bass ukulele. Don't expect too much; they are pretty decent playability-wise, but the sound is rather muffled. A string change is a must and will improve the tone considerably, but there is still room for improvement :). String spacing is rather generous for my taste.

Jens

How about the Lanakai's offered by Butler Music? There is a long thread on this offer.

How about the Lanakai's offered by Butler Music? There is a long thread on this offer.

the lanikai is nice of course i already own one but the soprano version im just trying to spend the least money as possible. i just want something to hangout and compose on when i dont wanna plug in 40 bucks is a little cheaper. down the road i plan on buying a much more expensive one but this should do the trick for now.

The Rogue baritone is a very basic instrument, but it has its own funky charm. I have two of them. Both have pretty good intonation, and are fairly easy to play. The sound is a bit dead, though. The instrument is built like a tank, and is likely to take a beating. Good luck! http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CcszMngjezY (Rogue Rag)

Last edited:
I always hate to suggest alternatives when someone has already bought something, but I think the Lanikai from Butler would be a lot more satisfying, as the sound and intonation are better. True, the only way to get the same price is with the 'gambler's special', but there's a high percentage of ukes with no problems. You'll want new strings on the Rogue, which will add another $6 or so to the cost, so it might even be a bit higher than the Lanikai, which comes with Aquila strings. True, there's no bag with it, but the plastic Rogue bag really isn't much.

However, they are built pretty well; I bought a Rogue Soprano and baritone about 2-3 years ago, and the soprano fell apart, but the baritone is still fine. As for the Lanikais, having bought one for myself and one later as a gift, both were fine; I lowered the saddle and topped the frets on one, but it could have been left as delivered, as it played fine.

I'm with you Flyinby, I bought 2 Rouges and sent them both back, and was much more satisfied with the Lanikai gamblers special. Even better was the Lanikai S-B I got from butler with a cracked top and a chipped back, it plays and sounds like a lot more expensive uke.I think I paid less than 100 bucks for it. If you contact Butler directly [off ebay] , they will give you a discount[10%, I think]. I'd call them and ask what they've got. just stay away from the twisted/bowed necks.

Last edited:
I too have two baritone Rogues and must have bought over a dozen rogue sopranos.... I love them both... they will all sound different too and different actions and playability..
the way you know you did not get a second or return is when they are wrapped in plastic bag in the box... he he I like to use my rogue baritone to figure out songs picking and new techinques..
Yes, it's not the instrument, rather what the player can do with it....the better you get, you can have fun with any uke.....happy strummings..
Ive learned to tune by ear with the rogue baritone..because it has enough volume

Last edited:
I too have two baritone Rogues and must have bought over a dozen rogue sopranos.... I love them both... they will all sound different too and different actions and playability..
the way you know you did not get a second or return is when they are wrapped in plastic bag in the box... he he I like to use my rogue baritone to figure out songs picking and new techinques..
Yes, it's not the instrument, rather what the player can do with it....the better you get, you can have fun with any uke.....happy strummings..
Ive learned to tune by ear with the rogue baritone..because it has enough volume

I knew you were going to say this Stan. you must have gotten lucky, mine were unplayable.

I knew you were going to say this Stan. you must have gotten lucky, mine were unplayable.
Yes big difference between my first rogue baritone I bought 5 years ago and the one I bought 3 years ago...the first one had more attention to the setup
the second one looked cheaper, had high action and I did fix it.. It may just be when you got yours, QC has slipped... sorry
As for my rogue sopranos...you never know they were so inconsistant at the end when I was buying them....I wish I still had my first one I gave to my 93 YO auntie

Yes big difference between my first rogue baritone I bought 5 years ago and the one I bought 3 years ago...the first one had more attention to the setup
the second one looked cheaper, had high action and I did fix it.. It may just be when you got yours, QC has slipped... sorry
As for my rogue sopranos...you never know they were so inconsistant at the end when I was buying them....I wish I still had my first one I gave to my 93 YO auntie

http://www.amazon.com/Kala-Mahogany...=1384484180&sr=8-71&keywords=baritone+ukulele

this is a little more but i think its the best value. 99 bucks a good solid mahogany baritone and a case....seems like a good deal and kala is a good brand. Any opinions? my direct deposit goes in in a few hours still trying to decide im still temped to get the lanikai lu21T instead i dont know...

http://www.amazon.com/Kala-Mahogany...=1384484180&sr=8-71&keywords=baritone+ukulele

this is a little more but i think its the best value. 99 bucks a good solid mahogany baritone and a case....seems like a good deal and kala is a good brand. Any opinions? my direct deposit goes in in a few hours still trying to decide im still temped to get the lanikai lu21T instead i dont know...
I still think the rogue is a hell of a deal....thirty bucks and 5+ years of fun....should I say more....in fact I like all my rogues.. it the 15+ rogues, maybe one was unplayable... the rest good to go..

I still think the rogue is a hell of a deal....thirty bucks and 5+ years of fun....should I say more....in fact I like all my rogues.. it the 15+ rogues, maybe one was unplayable... the rest good to go..

while i could benefit from the value of paying 39 bucks for a cheap baritone. I'm mostly using this thing just to compose ideas which i will than take to my electric baritone for actually recording. I hear mixed things some say its great for the price others say its a 'cardboard uke' i dont know...for what im using an acoustic bari for i think i dont need anything super fancy being its just a basic sit around and play and write stuff on. If i was ever to record with an acoustic baritone i would def get a much higher make. Still unsure if i should pay the extra money for this kala package get the cheap rogue bari and save some dough or get the lanikai tenor. I'm getting stressed now because i get paid in 2 hours.

The Rogue baritone is a very basic instrument, but it has its own funky charm. I have two of them. Both have pretty good intonation, and are fairly easy to play. The sound is a bit dead, though. The instrument is built like a tank, and is likely to take a beating.
That sounds a lot like my first classical guitar that I bought from the Sears catalog when I was 12. :p But the truth is, I'll never get rid of it.

Does anyone know links to more of the rogue baritone reviews?
ive found one but the player was very good, who clearly could make
anything sound good haha. im looking to hear some others play too.

Last edited:
Does anyone know links to more of the rogue baritone reviews?
ive found one but the player was very good, who clearly could make
anything sound good haha. im looking to hear some others play too.

http://kulturterrorismus.de/soundcloud/i-am-esper-a-dream-of-someplace-else-pt-2.html

if anyone is curious this is the kind of music i make with my electric baritone uke (ambient minimalism) really
just need somethign to take where ever to compose basic chord structures and get ideas going.

Top Bottom