Best Strings For Kanile'a Concert?

moka

Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering what are the best strings for my Kanile'a concert!
I actually have Living Water strings (High G)

I heard about Oasis strings (what is the best warm or bright set? For kanilea)

Thanks a lot !

Moka,

I use Savarez on most of my ukes, but you can't go wrong with Worth Clears either. I used to own a Kanile'a soprano, and Worth Clears were outstanding on that ukulele.

-Steve

I have Living Water (high G) on mine and love the way it sounds. I tried LowG but the nut slot for the fourth string was not cut for a larger string and kept pulling sharp when I would fret the fourth string.

It sounds so good now I doubt I'll try any other brands on this concert.

I have Living Water (high G) on mine and love the way it sounds. I tried LowG but the nut slot for the fourth string was not cut for a larger string and kept pulling sharp when I would fret the fourth string.

Ditto. It is low g for me, but Living Water strings sounded the best on my Kanilea.

I owned a Kanilea K1- C (concert) briefly and found that it sounded and played the best with D'Addario Nyltech strings; which are very similar in sound to the stock Aquila's, but with a much smoother feel. I actually prefer fluorocarbon strings over nylon, but when I tried a set of Worth Clear mediums, my Kanilea lost some of its sparkle, and also developed a buzz on the C string. I switched to Martin M600 fluorocarbon strings, but the tone didn't improve. I talked to Joe Souza over the phone--real nice guy--about my dilemma using fluorocarbon strings, and he told me that his ukuleles are purposely voiced to sound best with Aquila Nylgut strings. I experimented with that uke using a variety of different strings, and found that he was right; to my ears it did sound best with Aquila or Nyltech strings.

Hello,

I was wondering what are the best strings for my Kanile'a concert!
I actually have Living Water strings (High G)

I heard about Oasis strings (what is the best warm or bright set? For kanilea)

Thanks a lot !

I have the Oasis warm LowG set on my Kanile'a concert....it sounds more clear/clean with the Oasis,if your Kanile'a sounds a little muted try the Oasis....I have them on my Kamaka HF3S also....

if you want a sqeakless string try a Fremont Soloist LowG...works well with the Oasis strings

I actually prefer fluorocarbon strings over nylon, but when I tried a set of Worth Clear mediums, my Kanilea lost some of its sparkle, and also developed a buzz on the C string. I switched to Martin M600 fluorocarbon strings, but the tone didn't improve.

I'm not at all an expert on brands, but what you're saying there holds very true for mine as well. I usually like florocarbon strings because I like their feel and precision, but they don't sound good on my soprano kanilea. So, Aquila nylon it is!

I've tried all those mentioned on my Kanile'a concert but found the Aquillas too muddy sounding and the Worths a bit muted. After months of trying I discovered Orca hards sound beautiful on it. They have a clear and well rounded sound with lots of low end and they are loud. Honestly, they sound great. Not to be confused with other black fluorocarbons- Hilos or Freemonts - which didn't sound half as good.

Long story short - try Orcas!!! :)

The Aquila's were quite nice. After those I tried Savarez strings, but I don't like their feel and they sound sort of cramped. Currently I'm using Fremont Blackline mediums on my Kanile'a concert and I love them. They look and sound great.

I'm happy with Aquillas on my KPE-C. I have some Orca's maybe I'll try sometime.

I am thankful for the advice and experiences. I am awaiting completion and delivery of a Kanile’a K-1 C, any day now. I figure I will keep the Aquilas that will come with it for a while, but also that I’ll likely eventually change over to fluorocarbons, my favorites being PHD (Daniel Ho), Worth Clears, and Living Water (which I have ended up doing with every other instrument I’ve gotten with factory-issue Aquilas, to good result). I also just got a couple sets of Fremont Blackline Hard, which I may try on it. As they say, experiment and find out what you like! Once I’ve explored that road, I’ll update on my own impressions.

Last edited:
Well, I have a Kanile'a tenor with low g, so not exactly the same beast. I have Living Waters on there right now, which sound really good. I just can't abide Aquila Nylguts. I have a custom uke with Worth Clears, and they sound really good, but the tension is a bit high on the A string for me.

I am thankful for advice. I am awaiting completion and delivery of a Kanile’a K-1 C. I figure I will keep the Aquilas for a while, but also that I’ll eventually change over to fluorocarbons (which I have ended up doing with every other instrument I’ve gotten with factory-issue Aquilas, to good result).

You might want to have a look at this thread also: https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?131585-Kanilea-String-Discussion-Best-Sound

In my experience, Kanile'a ukes are one of those on which Super Nylguts actually sound surprisingly good. I just simply can't deal with the rough feel they give my fingers. In my opinion, fluorocarbons are much nicer for the fingers and they're also the most dynamic of the strings. You can get a really nice sparkle out of them if you play them hard but they still retain that typical Kanile'a warmth when played softer. I found that nylon strings sound really nice if you prefer a warmer sound but on a Kanile'a concert they lack a bit of volume which I didn't like. Nylons would probably suit a tenor much better.

Ditto. It is low g for me, but Living Water strings sounded the best on my Kanilea.

:agree: I tried several different strings when I first got my Kanile'a, Living Water are the best! I have high G on mine and Living Water low G on my Martin Iz tenor.

Top Bottom