Blackberry Blossom clawhammer

Loved it. Thanks for sharing. Hope I can do that well one day.

My pleasure, Scott. I love your videos with masterful playing and arrangements.

That's super cool...

Any chance of a tutorial on the right-hand?

I've been looking for resources on clawhammer playing and it mostly seems to always be on how to do the "bum ditty" finger down through one string, then all of them and then thumb pick pattern.

But then you go to try a suggested clawhammer piece and that pattern just doesn't seem suitable at all and it isn't clear what to do to be authentic clawhammer.

TJ you bring up a good point. Usually there IS more to playing tunes than just the bum ditty. There can be double thumbing, drop thumb and even melodic clawhammer. In my video above I use all of these techniques to play Blackberry Blossom.

I will try to get a tutorial up that explains what I am doing but until then you can look into double thumb technique, which uses the thumb between every finger strike. Bumpa ditty bumpa ditty. And drop thumb, where the thumb plays on lower strings, in addition to just the top string. This alone makes things sound more interesting.

And when I say "melodic" I mean that I am fretting notes on the G string (top string, and I am tuned with high G) to flush out a melody with the other strings I am playing, as opposed to just playing it as an open drone note in between the lower string melody notes.

Now, even without double thumb and drop thumb, there are endless tunes you can play. You just don't have to adhere to the bum ditty 100%. THat might be what is confusing to you.

I sincerely hope that makes sense. I haven't had my morning coffee yet.

Top Bottom