music theory/ukulele for dummies questions

ohmless

Reaction score
In chapter 5, there are a couple chords used in places that don't make sense to me for the key the song is in. First example is an E7 used in an Am song(House of the Rising Sun). Shouldn't this be an Em or a Em7? Also in the rock riff with a Key of C there is an Eb instead of what I think would be the right E(an Em)? If these do make sense please teach me why.

thanks,
ohm

On House of the Rising Sun that lick is using if I recall correctly a I, III, V7 progression Am, C then E7. The V7 chord helps to create tension that is then resolves back to the I chord.

In the second example I am going to guess that the Eb is simply a borrowed chord.... With more detail I could expand further.

Check out The Circle series on Ukulele by Ear.

kk. the chord sequence for the rock riff is as follows: C, Eb, F, Eb, C, Eb, F, Eb, C and repeats.

yeah the uke by ear site is a good place. I am only a few vids into that but have some prior experience with the circle, just to let you know where I am coming from.

The Eb chord is borrowed from the parallel minor scale. So it is taken from the C minor scale. It is mixing modes. The common borrowed chords in C are Eb, Ab and Bb. It has been awhile since I studied music theory but I think I'm right.

In minor tunes where the V chord would be minor, you often find a major V7 instead. A V7 to i (major to minor) progression generally resolves better than a v or v7 to i (ie minor to minor) progression.

lovely. thanks a ton guys. just trying to learn as I go along and sometimes there is a snag. you helped me develop as a musician today.

Top Bottom