kamaka soprano

Torao

Reaction score
i just got a kamaka soprano with the stock strings. I like the way it sounds but the sound doesn't last very long. Is it just the way its built or is it the strings?

How long have you been playing it? Nylon strings usually need a little time to settle. If it's still dead after a few weeks, change your strings. I doubt it's the instrument, because Kamaka has some of the best quality control around.

for a bout a week but my grandma got it from a lady who had it for 2 years before i got it.

Had it for two years and never changed the strings? :D haha, I think you already know what you need to do.

ok well i wasnt really sure if thats what was causing it but i guess so. I had another ukulele that had the same strings for about 6 years haha. well anyways thanks for the help =]

Is there anything else wrong with the kamaka that you can see? Is the neck straight and not touching the strings in any places? If everything looks good, I would pretty much just bet on the strings, but you've got to rule everything else out first. Be sure to check it out ... then go ahead and change 'em up!

yea i was planning on it but the only strings i can buy around me are GHS's, and Martins. BTW what type of strings would give me the longest lasting sound?

I asked this question a few months ago. I tried out a few strings from worths, D'Addora and aquila. aquila sounded better to me for some reason in the end its preff but i would go with aquilas. do u know what year your hf-1 is? u might have a gold label thur.

yea i was planning on it but the only strings i can buy around me are GHS's, and Martins. BTW what type of strings would give me the longest lasting sound?
Skip's EG carries D'Addario and Ko'lau Golds, other strings like Worth or Aquila would have to be found online.

Is it possible to send a sound sample of your ukulele?

In my opinion, no matter what brand, I'd change strings every few months or less depending on how often you play.

I read this but wondered if his initial question wasn't more about sustain than strings in general.

Is your initial question about how when you hit a string it rings loudly and then fades too quickly for your liking? That's sustain.

If that's your question, then a fairly short sustain is just part of the nature of the instrument itself. Certainly depending on the builder and the strings you're going to get more or less sound and sustain, but given the short scale length for the strings and the limited size of the soundboard (the top of the uke) and how nylon strings are, there's just going to be less sustained vibration over a shorter period of time. The sound is just going to run out of gas a lot faster with everything being smaller and shorter. The ukulele is just not an instrument designed to play ringing power chords.

Certainly if the strings on your instrument are already a couple of years old they're not likely to have much left in them. Changing strings will help.

As it is, you have a very nice uke.

I read this but wondered if his initial question wasn't more about sustain than strings in general.

Is your initial question about how when you hit a string it rings loudly and then fades too quickly for your liking? That's sustain.

If that's your question, then a fairly short sustain is just part of the nature of the instrument itself. Certainly depending on the builder and the strings you're going to get more or less sound and sustain, but given the short scale length for the strings and the limited size of the soundboard (the top of the uke) and how nylon strings are, there's just going to be less sustained vibration over a shorter period of time. The sound is just going to run out of gas a lot faster with everything being smaller and shorter. The ukulele is just not an instrument designed to play ringing power chords.

Certainly if the strings on your instrument are already a couple of years old they're not likely to have much left in them. Changing strings will help.

As it is, you have a very nice uke.
haha i guess my question was about sustain because its loud but the sound fades quickly. on the inside it says it was made on july 18 2006.

I thought so.

It takes a little to get used to how the uke works in that way. (Or at least it did for me coming from the guitar.) But that's also part of what gives it its own unique flavor. How you figure out to play around with what it does do really well is the fun part.

haha ive actually never played a guitar but my old uke was a cheaper one(phoenix?) but the sustain was much better on it.

The stock Kamaka strings aren't bad, but after two years I think it's time to replace 'em. I like the D'Addarios on my Kamaka soprano.

I hear you.
My in-laws have a 70's Kamaka that's been sitting in its case for the last twenty + years and the cheap starter Leolani uke I picked up sounded a lot better with the fresh Aquilas than it did. (I gotta change those next time we're in Hawaii...)

could it also have something to do with the kamakas curved back whereas my cheaper one has a flat back?

i wanted to go get some koolau golds but my mom said we cant go today

Top Bottom