D'Addario Pro-arte strings: Which one is the re-entrant G?

Another Stephanie

Reaction score
Hi all,
I was inspired by some of the recent strings preference postings to try some different strings on my Kala ASLAT. When I opened my new D'Addario Pro-Arte set, I was a bit surprised to see that the individual strings were labeled as "guitar strings", and that the set contained two high E strings: a "hard tension" J4061 and an "extra hard tension" J4401. Ostensibly one of these should become the A, and one should be the re-entrant G.

Logically, I think the higher tension string should become the higher A string, BUT... I'm hesitating. Part of the reason that I bought these strings is that my current A string (Aquila) has significantly higher tension than the rest of the strings, and it gets drowned out when I strum. I am afraid that restringing with what amounts to a high-tension classical guitar string will just repeat the problem. Any thoughts?

(Pardon me if this topic has been discussed before; the forum's search feature is not working correctly for me right now.)

Use the thinner string for your high A, especially if it's the hard tension and not the extra hard tension.

A few different things contribute to tension: how you're tuning it, scale length, string gauge...

When you're tuning higher, you go for thinner because that way the tension won't be like an industrial strength cheese cutter. You might make it up a bit by having stiffer strings if you prefer a tenser, snappier feel.

Top Bottom